Formal wear question

droseball

I am a first time cruiser and am thinking about what I am going to take to wear for formal nights on our July 10th Western Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Is is okay to wear short cocktail dresses (for women of course!) on formal dress nights or does it have to be all long dresses? I'm not much of a long dress person because I don't have much opportunity to wear them but I would get some if I have to! Also, do most men wear tuxes or just suits? Thanks!

Denise

Suits for the men and short cocktail dresses for the women will be no problem for formal night.. More men wear suits than tuxes and since I am a leg man, the short cocktail dress will be fine.. icon_smile.gif

Male here - I usually wear a tux, or white dinner jacket, on formal nights, but on occasion go with a dark business suit.

My wife does not own any long "Eastern Star" gowns - and wears short cocktail type dress, which fits in fine.

Dressy pants suits (female)are seen a lot also.

Michael

I had been getting away from tuxes until our first Princess cruise last March. I'll be wearing my tux on our Caribbean Princess cruise later this month as I feel it is the more appropriate choice...for me.

As mentioned above, you'll see plenty of nice business suits too.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Sapphire Princess June '05

Caribbean Princess 09/17/05

Carnival Valor 10/30/05

Short cocktail dresses are perfectly fine. Be aware that the second formal night is often the more formal of the 2, since that's usually the night of the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Champagne Waterfall.

TinaLee

Sail Away on Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Be aware that the second formal night is often the more formal of the 2, since that's usually the night of the Captain's Cocktail Party <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It must vary from cruise to cruise. We have always found the 1st one is and that the Captain's Reception was held that night and the Captain's Circle Party the 2nd formal night.

Future cruises:

9/04 Star Princess-Med.x2 Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome

11/04 Dawn Princess-Southern Caribbean

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess-Mexican Riviera

July 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Aug. 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Past cruises:

04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

04 Dawn Princess- Southern Caribbean x2

03 Grand Princess-W.Caribbean

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

03-Tahitian Princess-Tahiti/ Cook Islands

03 Royal Princess-x2 British Isles & Norwegian Fjords/ Iceland

03 Island Princess-Panama Canal

01 HAL Ryndam x 2-S. America San Diego to Valpariso/ & around Cape Horn to Rio

00 Sky Princess-China/Orient

79 Sitmar's Fairwind- Caribbean/Panama Canal

Short cocktail dresses and dressy pant suits are probably seen more often than long dresses. I was just on Diamond to Alaska and can't remember even seeing any really long formals. More men wear dark suits than tux, but the tux looks sooo nice. The first formal night is the captain's welcome party and the second formal night is the Captain's Circle cocktail party for prior guests. They also have a luncheon with the captain for platinum/elite members.

Lynda

Archived