?? Booking a Single ??

polsons

With the exception of a cruise last May with my son, I always cruise SOLO.

However, I, out of necessity, cruise last minute (book passage 3-6 days before the cruise), so I may get better pricing. I use several online sites AND NEVER USE CARNIVAL'S PVP, EVER (I don't want to talk to someone that knows less about cruising than I do). :rolleyes:

Just recently cruised the GLORY again out of Canaveral. 7 days, 1A for $875.13 includes everything. Booked her on a Thursday night, caught a redeye from LAX to Orlando on a Friday night, boarded Saturday morning ! :) The disadvantage to cruising last minute, of course, is risking that the ship you may prefer is SOLD OUT (The PRIDE, SPIRIT, and VALOR were all sold out Oct. 29th, so I had to cruise the GLORY again).

While the Valor Vampires were bouncing all over the friggin' place on the Western Caribbean, I was enjoying great cruising weather on the Eastern Caribbean. :p

In the past, many cruises with a wife, many cruises with a friend, but SOLO I enjoy doing just WHATEVER I DAM PLEASE ! :D The freedom is intoxicating. :)

SOLO I enjoy doing just WHATEVER I DAM PLEASE ! :D The freedom is intoxicating. :)
And this doesn't just apply to cruising. Marriage is overrated. Been there, done that, got the lawyer bills to prove it.

And this doesn't just apply to cruising. Marriage is overrated. Been there, done that, got the lawyer bills to prove it.

I hear yah, tef. With all due respect to my ex-wives I quite agree. It certainly wasn't there fault. Several houses later I've come to the conclusion that, I'm just not good at "marriage". Which probably explains my love of SOLO cruising. :rolleyes: (and boating, and football, and poker, and SSR club meets, and backpacking, and . . . well . . . you get the picture) :D

The saddest words of prose and pen, are the words, "what might have been". :(

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just couldn't resist.

You and your quotes Gary...

Listening to you and Tef, gheez...I told Ashley we should just start splitting our assets up now to save time later :)

Come on Gary...don't you get lonely? Just a little bit on solo cruises?? Just a teeency weeency bit? I'll have to say, I am envious of Brett - I'd love to have had a chance to cruise alone with my father...just once... :(

I booked a 4 night for myself on the Fascination 1 week after returning from Holland America's Zuiderdam. The total cost of a 1A was $371.00, $100.00 more than booking as a double in the same category! All other cruise lines wanted much more than that for being in the bowels of the belly! When traveling with partner we usually get a mini suite or suite but for myself I could care less about being in a bunk bed room!:D At this time the same room category I booked is going for $356.00 for the same cruise. I'm very excited about trying Carnival! Nancy

Gary, tell us how you really feel. :)

I did my 1st solo in 20 years last week and had a great time. My dining room table consisted of 7 people all solo. Has that been the norm on your solo cruises?

OP has her questioned answered so I guess we can highjack thread.

Thanks

seem to cruise "solo". We end up meeting up at lunch (sometimes) and dinner and then end up sleeping in the same cabin, but that's about it. He and our oldest son do excursions like snorkeling etc and my youngest son and I do more laid back stuff ...like the beach or glass bottom boats.

I do karaoke all night and hubby loves the shows.

We always laugh that we get on the boat together, eat together and get off the boat together. The rest of the time, we don't have a clue where the other one is.

if you're booking a cruise on the valor in the 1A category, be sure to request 2462. :D best cabin i've ever had & didn't feel like a 1A. i even had two whole windows (real ones, not port holes)!

k

I Tried to book it for my cruise but had to settle for 2212 which has portholes

You and your quotes Gary...

Listening to you and Tef, gheez...I told Ashley we should just start splitting our assets up now to save time later

I'm sorry, Shaun. Sometimes I get a little carried away. You and Ashley make a great couple. I wish you two the very best. Now I'm reminded of another "saying" (I can't help it):

"Put the things you wished for and got in one hand . . . crap in the other one and see which one fills up the quickest" (sorry) :D

Seriously, people drift apart just like they drift together. Bunny (Brett's Mom) and I were together for 25 years. The winner of our wedding "pool" (all the guys and their SOs in our drinking, gambling, travel and sports group of about 20) won with OVER ONE YEAR as his prediction. All the rest were, of course, a shorter duration than that, soooooo, we really bucked the odds.

I'm still good friends with my ex (we had lunch last week) and have come close to cruising with her again, but can't arrange our client schedules identically on such short notice. She's a high-powered realtor and I'm a contractor, so its difficult to get everything to jive for a cruise with a 3-6 day lead time.

Ashley would have had a good time with Bunny (yes, that's her real name - born on Easter). Provided Ashley likes to shop. Bunny is a master shopper. She will make someone an ideal wife some day. Beautiful, smart, and the sexual appetite of an alley cat ! (just kidding . . . . she's not that smart). :D

[now's the time when she calls me and tells me she's just joined Cruise Critic] :rolleyes: I'm just joking around, Buns.

Come on Gary...don't you get lonely? Just a little bit on solo cruises?? Just a teeency weeency bit? I'll have to say, I am envious of Brett - I'd love to have had a chance to cruise alone with my father...just once...

Frequently ALONE, but seldom LONELY. I have many male and female Starbuck's friends (8 to midnite), my business uses up 70-80 hours per week, SSR club events constantly, and, of course, all those neat people I meet on cruises.

But, I'll admit, sometimes, it would be nice to share some rare event or place on a cruise with a friend or lover, but most of the time I'm quite content to go my own way by myself. If I get "really" lonely on a cruise, there's always the disco ! ! :D

I too, wish I could have cruised with my Father. We would have had a ball ! He was such a womanizer, I would have been sleeping in the lobby bar most of the time. What an operator ! !

Brett really enjoyed it. Speaks of you and Ashley all the time. He keeps pressuring me for another. Brett once picked out a t-shirt for me:

"I've been married . . . now I just lease."

So, he gets the picture.

Well, now that I've spilled my guts about why I find marriages (for me) a joke, go on with your life, Shaun, and tell your beautiful bride how much you love her every day, and everything will be fine. I guess the name of the baby will have to be "Princess". :D

Gary, tell us how you really feel. :)

I did my 1st solo in 20 years last week and had a great time. My dining room table consisted of 7 people all solo. Has that been the norm on your solo cruises?

OP has her questioned answered so I guess we can highjack thread.

Thanks

Almost all the cruises I've been solo on, I've been seated at a "singles" table, the most memorable being on the GLORY 2 years ago.

Amy - a New Jersey nurse (just became a CC member a few days ago)

Paul - a TA loved to gamble, bought wine for the table almost every night (and he doesn't drink).

Paula - beautiful lady from Thailand (now living in the USA)

Murray - television producer from Colorado on his first cruise. An incredibly funny man. Placed 2nd in the Halloween costume contest.

Michael - a young golf pro from Florida

Still e-mail all of them to this day. Amy even met me at the end of my LEGEND cruise in NYC and showed me a little of NYC until my late night plane flight home.

We did a lot of things together. Some did even more than a lot of things together (Amy will love that one). :D

Last cruise however, I was put at a table all alone. Only went to dinner in the formal dining room twice. Very disappointed ! ! :(

don't you get lonely? Just a little bit on solo cruises?? Just a teeency weeency bit?
I will say, after 14 cruises, the absolute *best* times were the ones booked solo.

And now I have my *dream* job, traveling for business 80-100% of the time. Absolute paradise!

Must say that I enjoyed my recent Glory cruise, solo, in cabin 1211...had portholes and was very roomy. Was seated at a table for 8 with 3 other solo folks...a fifth person showed up for a few nights. The original four of us got along quite well and enjoyed our dinner time together. I did go to the shows twice with one of the woman....but no one fraternized that I was told about anyway...;)

The interesting part was that the others who had booked an inside gty...were upgraded alright...to an inside up a few notches.....when I bragged about my single with portholes....they were so (friendly) jealous when they came to see it. I had a couch...they didn't....I had portholes...they didn't.

That was my second A1 on Carnival and I don't think I would book anything else...and now that I know about the inside cabins with portholes...well....why pay more...

Well, now that I've spilled my guts about why I find marriages (for me) a joke, go on with your life, Shaun, and tell your beautiful bride how much you love her every day, and everything will be fine. I guess the name of the baby will have to be "Princess". :D

Wait, wouldn't our baby be named "Pride", or "Carnie" perhaps?? lol....

Actually, I quite like the idea you came up with. And yes - I can see you as the alone, but seldom LONELY type :) I knew you were my kind of guy when you were asking people who wanted a beer in Mazatlan....at 8AM!! he he he

Archived