Question: Passport and Visa Information for British Traveler in US

We are Americans, but will be traveling with a British Citizen this summer. It looks like she has to get "visas and/or tourist cards" from each country we visit? Does anyone have any experience with this and can send me some advice? I think we might be making this harder than it needs to be!!

Our travel agent sent her the following message:

"Please be advisedthat you or any traveling companions who are not U.S. or Canadian passportholders must verify proof of citizenship and visa requirements with theembassy, consulate or immigration office of the countries listed on your cruiseitinerary.

It is very important that all travelers present proper documentation for everycountry on the cruise itinerary whether or not they have plans to disembark theship in every port of call. Arriving to the pier without a passport, visa orany other required identification will result in denied boarding.

While I cannot advise you on these requirements, I can connect you with theembassy or consulate for the ports of call on your cruise itinerary. Pleaseclick here and choose your country ofcitizenship from the list. Then select each country on your itinerary forembassy contact information."

Ports:

Royal Caribbean - Liberty of the Seas

Galveston

Cozumel

Grand Cayman

Jamaica

It looks like everything has to be done BEFORE arrival (since it's by sea and not by air) .... "Arriving to the pier without a passport, visa or any other required identification will result in denied boarding."

Thank you!!!

Cindy

We are Americans, but will be traveling with a British Citizen this summer. It looks like she has to get "visas and/or tourist cards" from each country we visit? Does anyone have any experience with this and can send me some advice? I think we might be making this harder than it needs to be!!

Our travel agent sent her the following message:

"Please be advisedthat you or any traveling companions who are not U.S. or Canadian passportholders must verify proof of citizenship and visa requirements with theembassy, consulate or immigration office of the countries listed on your cruiseitinerary.

It is very important that all travelers present proper documentation for everycountry on the cruise itinerary whether or not they have plans to disembark theship in every port of call. Arriving to the pier without a passport, visa orany other required identification will result in denied boarding.

While I cannot advise you on these requirements, I can connect you with theembassy or consulate for the ports of call on your cruise itinerary. Pleaseclick here and choose your country ofcitizenship from the list. Then select each country on your itinerary forembassy contact information."

Ports:

Royal Caribbean - Liberty of the Seas

Galveston

Cozumel

Grand Cayman

Jamaica

It looks like everything has to be done BEFORE arrival (since it's by sea and not by air) .... "Arriving to the pier without a passport, visa or any other required identification will result in denied boarding."

Thank you!!!

Cindy

Nothing needed for those port stops for Brits, except of course, a valid UK passport, and they will probably need to show whatever permission they have to be in the US when they re-enter the US, Visa Waiver, Green Card Etc.

They will definitely need the required esta (basically a visa for tourists) to get into the US prior the cruise. Once returning from the cruise back to TX they will most likely be asked to show their esta again. As it's a closed cruise they should be fine in ports it will just be entering into the US as visitors can only stay for a maximum of 90 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much!! We know about the esta (learned that the hard way last year - ha!). We did not have the link so thank you for that!

She said: "I've checked Mexico and I just need to complete an immigration tourist card on arrival".

^^ I think that is if you are arriving by airplane and not cruise???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done two cruises out of Ft Lauderdale which have included ports Cozumel and Jamaica, and I've also travelled to many different states in America too. The only visa I've ever needed is the ESTA.

Your friend will need to make sure her passport is plenty in date and to apply for an ESTA online a few weeks before travelling to the States.

On the plane from the UK-USA she will be given a form to fill out which she'll hand in at customs other than that there is nothing else she'll need to do.