Seeking Advice: Carnival Fantasy w/18 year old daughter

My daughter just graduated high school, so we are going on a cruise out of Mobile to celebrate. Should we stay at a hotel in Mobile the night before? I live 6 hours away. Should I book excursions or just wing it? How do I know what shows/comedians will be on our ship? She loves theater so I think the shows will be a must see. Can I reserve a seat for a show? Do I need to bring my own beach towel? Should I pay extra for wi-fi? This is her first cruise, my first cruise in MANY years, any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

There are many Mobile hotels that offer park and stay packages that are only slightly more expensive than paying for parking at the port, so I would recommend staying a night in Mobile.

There is plenty of shopping in Cozumel at the pier and downtown, we always enjoy that. If that doesn't sound fun you should book an excursion. If you are visiting Progreso, you should book an excursion.

Motor City and The Brits are the shows on Fantasy, there are no reserved seats. The comedians change weekly, you could ask John Heald on his Facebook who they will be for your sailing.

Beach towels will be in your cabin, and available to be purchased if you desire.

I am addicted to social media, but actually enjoy my time away from it while on the ship. I have never purchased the wi-fi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We too just had an 18 yo daughter graduate and will be on the same cruise on July 29 although she's been on quite a few cruises already.

You might research some exclusions online because Cozumel is very safe, walkable and has a variety of activities that you can do for less money. But there is some comfort that goes with booking through the line.

Don't sweat the seating, just show up 15 minutes early. You might want to check out the theater beforehand to get an idea of views. Carnival ships are notorious for obstructed views in some of their lounges even from what may appear to be a great seat.

I'd buy the social media package. Unlikely your daughter can live without it. But be warned that Snapchat does not work on that plan which seems to now be the teen favorite

Driving for 6 hours could be very tiring. You need to start very early as a cushion for possible road problem? I would prefer to stay in a hotel the night before to be fresh and fully charged for the embarkation day's activities with my daughter. But it really depends on one's preference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just booked the Fantasy to cruise with our young grandsons for July 15th. We also booked a stay, park and cruise package for the night before. I did have some difficulty finding availability but was successful in finding one 1/2 mile from the terminal. After looking at a number and calculating the costs this seemed the best fit considering that the 5 day cruise parking would be $90. Also with the little ones I didn't want to travel for our 51/2 hr trip on the same day of the cruise.:evilsmile:

I know the drive... I used to live in Shelbyville, TN, I could have taught your daughter! (I taught 2nd grade at Southside) I sailed out of Mobile years ago, always stayed at the Microtel in Saraland, it's just a few miles away from Mobile. They have a park/stay package that includes a shuttle to/from the port. Clean rooms, good breakfast, decent price and a reliable shuttle. Can't ask for anything else.

I love Cozumel, great for a relaxing beach day. Love Nachi Cocom (book online, google for their website). Love them because they limit the number of people they allow in, no chairs lined up side by side like most other beaches. All inclusive, pool, good beach. Just take a taxi there and they'll call one for you when you're ready to leave. Great service there.

If you're going to Progresso you might want an excursion, the beach is not so great. Or you can just wander around and get a really cheap massage right on the beach. The pier is about 4 miles long, so you get a bus into town (free bus). There's a bus to ride around town that gives you a quick tour and some history of the town - used to be $2 but I'm sure it's gone up by now.

There will be Carnival beach towels in your room. You can take those with you off the ship. Just don't lose them, you'll get charged for them. 18 cruises and I've not lost one yet.

I can live without wifi, my phone goes off and into the safe. Your daughter may be different... if she can't live without social media you'll have to buy a plan.

Bring a watch, stay on ship time - local time may be different so don't rely on your phone for the time.

Have fun!!

I know the drive... I used to live in Shelbyville, TN, I could have taught your daughter! (I taught 2nd grade at Southside) I sailed out of Mobile years ago, always stayed at the Microtel in Saraland, it's just a few miles away from Mobile. They have a park/stay package that includes a shuttle to/from the port. Clean rooms, good breakfast, decent price and a reliable shuttle. Can't ask for anything else.

I love Cozumel, great for a relaxing beach day. Love Nachi Cocom (book online, google for their website). Love them because they limit the number of people they allow in, no chairs lined up side by side like most other beaches. All inclusive, pool, good beach. Just take a taxi there and they'll call one for you when you're ready to leave. Great service there.

If you're going to Progresso you might want an excursion, the beach is not so great. Or you can just wander around and get a really cheap massage right on the beach. The pier is about 4 miles long, so you get a bus into town (free bus). There's a bus to ride around town that gives you a quick tour and some history of the town - used to be $2 but I'm sure it's gone up by now.

There will be Carnival beach towels in your room. You can take those with you off the ship. Just don't lose them, you'll get charged for them. 18 cruises and I've not lost one yet.

I can live without wifi, my phone goes off and into the safe. Your daughter may be different... if she can't live without social media you'll have to buy a plan.

Bring a watch, stay on ship time - local time may be different so don't rely on your phone for the time.

Have fun!!

We just cruised May 15th on Fantasy and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend you stay in Mobile the night before just in case of unforseen troubles like a flat tire, etc.. We book at the Rennaseance across from the ship. You could look out window and see it docked. The park and cruise package is 149. We also hired a driver from Tours Plaza in Cozumel and he showed us the entire island. Our driver was Benito, so ask for him if you do this. For 3 hrs is $107 and that would be for up to 5 people total. And $25 each hr after that. Great way to see things tourists cant see.

Thank you so much for the information. I teach at Learning Way!

Have fun!!

My daughter just graduated high school, so we are going on a cruise out of Mobile to celebrate. Should we stay at a hotel in Mobile the night before? I live 6 hours away. Should I book excursions or just wing it? How do I know what shows/comedians will be on our ship? She loves theater so I think the shows will be a must see. Can I reserve a seat for a show? Do I need to bring my own beach towel? Should I pay extra for wi-fi? This is her first cruise, my first cruise in MANY years, any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I live just a few miles north of you. Congratulations on your daughter's graduation! I agree with the others that getting a hotel the night before is a good idea. You won't have to worry about traffic delays, etc., and will be rested the day you embark the ship. Carnival does not allow reserving seats for the shows. You will have a Carnival beach towel in your cabin (one for each passenger), and your cabin steward will replace them daily if they are dirty. You are also welcome to take them off the ship to use in port, but be sure you always return the towels to your cabin or you will be charged for them on your Sail and Sign account. You may download the Carnival Hub app to your smartphone before you leave home (it's free). For $5 per passenger, you can use their chat feature for the entire cruise while onboard (to stay in touch with your daughter). The hub basically has the same information you'd find in the paper Fun Times left in your cabin daily. It can also alert you to certain activities if you choose. Paying for internet is personal choice. You can find info here:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

If you choose to use your smartphone during the cruise, be sure to keep it in airplane mode or you will be surprised with ridiculously expensive roaming charges when you get your next cell phone bill. If you keep it in airplane mode with wi-fi enabled, you will be able to use the app without charges.

There is almost nothing around the port area in Progresso, so unless you want to enjoy a quiet day on the ship or maybe the ship's pools, you'll want to book an excursion there. Cozumel has a lot more choices in walking distance near the ship. Many people choose to book excursions through Carnival for one simple reason: if you are delayed returning to the ship at the end of your excursion, Carnival will hold the ship for you if you are on an excursion booked through Carnival. If you book excursions on your own, the ship will not wait for you if you are late for some reason. If you don't believe me, try Googling "cruise pier runners."

Be sure to choose a check-in time now. Since you will be driving to Mobile, you'd be able to enjoy embarkation at an earlier time if you can get an early check-in time. So go ahead and finish your online check-in on Carnival's website as soon as possible and choose your check in time. If you haven't cruised in a long time, that will be something new to you.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180/~/online-check-in-and-arrival-appointment-time

Faster to the Fun may also be unfamiliar to you if you have not cruised in a long time. You can learn about the details here and decide if the cost is worthwhile to you.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374

I hope you have a great cruise with your daughter!