Any issues using ATM Debit cards with a chip?

I have seen posts about people having issues using Credit Cards without a chip sometimes- but I haven't seen anything about using the visa debit card that is also our ATM card. It has a chip. Is there any potential issue with being able to use it in an ATM?

And, how about using it instead of the credit card if we run into any problems with the credit card chip/pin system?

thanks!

I have seen posts about people having issues using Credit Cards without a chip sometimes- but I haven't seen anything about using the visa debit card that is also our ATM card. It has a chip. Is there any potential issue with being able to use it in an ATM?

And, how about using it instead of the credit card if we run into any problems with the credit card chip/pin system?

thanks!

I have never had an issue using any of my debit cards at bank ATMs. Others may share different experiences. Do be sure your PIN is only 4 numbers. Only place I have encountered CC problems were certain self serve gas stations or ticket machines. Of late I have avoided the former and not had a problem with the latter on last couple of trips. Do remember your daily max. I got frustrated trying to get 500 € one time when my max was $500. Took the brain a few seconds to register that I was over limit.

In Copenhagen where we embarked, credit and debit cards need to have chips. At that time, we had a problem in a grocery when we used our card that still uses magnetc strip and signature. We paid cash instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interestingly... I have several chip cards and I made sure I had a pin number associated. BUT when I spoke to the agent for the credit card ( Citi), he said that the pin is solely for cash advance use. None of Citibank's products ( per the rep) are the actual chip and pin technology used in Europe. Sooo... I shall see how it goes!!

Interestingly... I have several chip cards and I made sure I had a pin number associated. BUT when I spoke to the agent for the credit card ( Citi), he said that the pin is solely for cash advance use. None of Citibank's products ( per the rep) are the actual chip and pin technology used in Europe. Sooo... I shall see how it goes!!

Nice to be able to post that the information your Citi agent gave you is 100% correct. Probably the Citi rep didn't mention that the cash advance is a relatively expensive way to get cash. You start incurring interest on the money the minute you withdraw it. If you're not aware of this drawback, please call Citi again and have the agent explain this to you.

Do you have a cash card, the kind we use to withdraw money from an ATM machine? This is the least expensive way to get money.

If you don't have this type of card, do you have the time to get one issued by your bank? Citi issues them. The only problem is that each branch is set up to issue a debit card, but only corporate is set up to issue an ATM card. You could walk out of the bank with a debit card ready to use in the ATM/cash points in Europe. Drawback: A debit card is less secure compared to an ATM card. Many people set up special travel accounts linked to their debit cards to limit their financial risk in case of loss/theft. Again, talk to your Citi agent!

I'm surprised you haven't yet received from your bank a credit card with a chip. You should immediately call the bank and ask for a replacement card with a chip. That will resolve that problem.

As far as debit cards. Some here are confused by what you mean. A debit card is an ATM card first and foremost used for withdrawing cash from ATM's but it is also useful on either the mastercard or visa network. Some people use debit cards with the mc or visa logo in lieu of credit cards for purchases. As far as the merchant is concerned, it's a credit card purchase. The only difference is instead of creating an indebtedness, when the transaction clears your bank, the money is immediately pulled out. Some people swear by them; others like me swear at them as the protections in the USA for debit card purchases are not as strong as credit card purchases especially if the account gets hacked. But no matter. Your debit card should work with the chip and function as a credit card. The OP was not referring to using a credit card for a cash advance which can have very high fees.

But don't be pessimistic. While there might be problems in using a US credit card lacking a chip, there aren't always. Try the card and if it doesn't work, you can fall back on the debit card idea.