Rhine weather third week in September - wardrobe planning

Bellago

While I know that weather varies from year to year I am beginning to think about packing for our cruise, Basel to Amsterdam, the third week in September. What I read is low 70's daytime, upper 50's at night.

I like to pack light and usually plan on layers. I will bring (and wear on the plane) a tailored black raincoat that does not have a warm zip-in lining. What sort of sweater or jacket will I need for on-deck in the evening and early mornings?

For day-time on deck or on excursions will I want mostly short sleeved shirts? Will I want to have shorts?

Any advice from women who have sailed the Rhine this time of year is welcome.

Hello Bellago,

I have sailed the Rhine in September and I cannot remember wearing short but then I tend not to anyway as I feel relatively cool quickly, certainly late September. Temperatures peak at 28 degrees on a hot day, lower on a warm day. But you can get rainy spells. I would choose long trousers or capris instead. Layers is best as the weather can vary in a week of sailing. Early mornings can be cool already then, but not frost yet. Short-sleeved and long-sleeved mix would be best.

notamermaid

While I know that weather varies from year to year I am beginning to think about packing for our cruise, Basel to Amsterdam, the third week in September. What I read is low 70's daytime, upper 50's at night.

I like to pack light and usually plan on layers. I will bring (and wear on the plane) a tailored black raincoat that does not have a warm zip-in lining. What sort of sweater or jacket will I need for on-deck in the evening and early mornings?

For day-time on deck or on excursions will I want mostly short sleeved shirts? Will I want to have shorts?

Any advice from women who have sailed the Rhine this time of year is welcome.

Looking at AccuWeather lows of 50-55 and highs about 65-67.

I would personally not pack shorts for a September trip to Europe, unless I were headed to a beach resort.

Light layers that can be added/removed as needed and a jacket that is waterproof would be high on my list, along with comfortable shoes (not sandals).

I lived in Europe for a few years. It's cool in early Fall. And it could be rainy. I'm now putting together a color coordinated collection for an Alaska trip in July. One button to liner adirondack coat, a zipper pocketed fleece, zip off pants, silky long underwear, waterproof low hikers, non-wrinkle tops, capris, shorts, a bathing suit, 2 long skirts, dress flats, sneakers, sandals, and all less than 50 lbs including the luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks everyone. I think I have a good idea of what layers to bring. I am hoping my light weight merino wool cardigan over a long sleeved shirt under my raincoat with long pants and silky long underwear if needed will take care of the coldest weather. Short sleeved shirt with capri pants for the warmest days. A long skirt and a mix of long, 3/4 and short sleeved tops and maybe one more pair of long pants should do it.

cbelc, having been to Alaska in July you have it covered. When the sun came out it was warm and lovely. It rained a lot, and on the water it was cold.