Future Cruise certificate

Gday cruisers, first off thanks to all Members for the excellent advice, I've found the boards incredibly helpful for a new cruiser!

Now my question: partner and I cruised with rcl in May 2016. We had some issues with our toilet (nothing major and reported it whilst on board). I noted it in my post cruise survey, and a few weeks later received an email from rcl apologising and providing a "Future Cruise Certifcate", equal to 40% of what I paid for the cruise ($700 odd for me and $300 odd for second guest, we were both in the same cabin). There were 2 codes, one for each guest, and it noted a 12 month expiry date (May 2017). I'm now booking a cruise for October 2018 (had to wait for them to go on sale) so I asked for the certificates expiry to be extended, which they say they have done (to May 2018). A few questions for anyone who has experience with these (plenty of resources online for "next cruise" but not "future cruise"):

Does the expiry date mean "book by" or "sail by"? If it is "sail by" has anyone had any luck in using them after expiry (as expiry is may 2018 and cruise is october 2018)? And can I use both codes on one booking? I booked online and I only had the opportunity to enter 1 code (both guests are the same as original cruise). Also how long does it generally take for these to be applied, and how do I know once they have been applied?

Any insight someone could provide would be much appreciated. PS apologies for the long winded post or if I have posted in the wrong area). Cheers.

I have used certificates a few times. Have had TA apply them to future booked cruise with no issues. However, they were used within the dates listed. The RCCL help desk should be able to tell you the rules governing use date. They can also tell you when the certificate will be applied date. Our ta called RCCL and had them applied to our cruise with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should call RCI and explain what you want to do. (You used to have to send these certificates into the cruiseline, but not any longer.) They can look up the certificate in their system, with you on the phone, and apply it toward your cruise. Ask and they will send you an updated invoice showing the new cruise amount for each of you after the credit is applied.

As far as the differing certificate amounts, could it be you were booked on your original cruise during a "Buy one get one 1/2 off sale?" That could explain the higher and lower certificate amounts??

As far as extending the date, if they told you it was extended, hopefully you have an email or some record of that. If not, you can ask again. They should be able to accommodate this for you, politely plead your case, (ie: unable to travel earlier due to illness/vacation time availability/etc.).

Be sure to give them a call, and good luck!

Our experience has been "sail by date" We had FCC and it clearly said "sail by" one year from cancellation date. I would go by what's in print and not anything anybody tells you.

The booking codes are for the person named and can't be transferred. We had four numbers all assigned to specific people. My TA told me the credit will be applied at final deposit. The FCC can't be used for a deposit.