Alaska sales tax

hbe

We have an upcoming Alaskan cruise and i was just wondering if NCL charges the state tax on beverages like they do in Miami?

Alaska does not have a state sales tax but individual cities can levy a sales tax...... so it depends on the ports you visit in Alaska

I'm about to go on my fourth Alaska cruise, and I've never been charged an additional tax on drinks while in port. But, my last Alaska cruise was several years ago so, of course, things could have changed since then.

as mentioned...... it possibly can be charged based on port NOT state wide... you may not have traveled to a city that charges it... so to say "never" is misleading as a whole concerning Alaska cruises

as mentioned...... it possibly can be charged based on port NOT state wide... you may not have traveled to a city that charges it... so to say "never" is misleading as a whole concerning Alaska cruises

I simply shared my experience, which is that in my three previous Alaska cruises I have never been charged a tax on drinks. There's nothing misleading about sharing what happened to me. I didn't say they never charge a tax; I didn't even offer an opinion as to whether the OP may be charged. I just said that I haven't been.

I simply shared my experience, which is that in my three previous Alaska cruises I have never been charged a tax on drinks. There's nothing misleading about sharing what happened to me. I didn't say they never charge a tax; I didn't even offer an opinion as to whether the OP may be charged. I just said that I haven't been.

Just my opinion that when someone shares that they've "never" been charged a tax in the post immediately following a post where someone says a tax is definitely possible...... that new post contradicts the info in the older post. If you offered what ports you visited in the 3 previous cruises it would've offered more insight.... it's not unlike someone warning people "to wear sunblock in Bermuda" and the next person chimes in with "I've been to Bermuda and never got a sunburn so sunblock isn't required" but doesn't disclose they never went outside. Again, just my opinion, but sharing information without details can be contradictory.

Typically when someone refers to Alaska cruise ports, they are referring to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. All three of these have established city/borough sales taxes between 5% and 6.5%.

I have been to these three ports at least 8 times. I have never been charged sales tax on the ship when ordering drinks.

Just my opinion that when someone shares that they've "never" been charged a tax in the post immediately following a post where someone says a tax is definitely possible...... that new post contradicts the info in the older post. If you offered what ports you visited in the 3 previous cruises it would've offered more insight.... it's not unlike someone warning people "to wear sunblock in Bermuda" and the next person chimes in with "I've been to Bermuda and never got a sunburn so sunblock isn't required" but doesn't disclose they never went outside. Again, just my opinion, but sharing information without details can be contradictory.

And you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I wouldn't have rebutted if you hadn't accused me of misleading people. I've been a member of this forum for many years and I've always tried to helpful.

For your analogy to be accurate--"I've been to Bermuda and never got a sunburn so sunblock isn't required"--then I would have had to say, "I've never been charged additional tax so no one else will be." You may have mistakenly inferred that's what I was saying, but that was an assumption on your part. And the disclosure of never having gone outside would be tantamount to my never having ordered a drink while docked in port. I said none of that. I also acknowledged that it's been several years and things could have changed. If I remembered which ports I ordered drinks, I would be happy to list them, but I don't recall.

We are waiting to disembark the Pearl. No AK sales tax, but there was a 10% tax on drinks beginning around noon on Victoria, BC day. The bar tender said it was the "Seattle tax" - not sure if he was accurate, but the tax did show up on our bill ... $1 a drink is no biggie ... we drank too much anyway by yest today to drown a fish

No AK sales tax, but there was a 10% tax on drinks beginning around noon on Victoria, BC day. The bar tender said it was the "Seattle tax" - not sure if he was accurate, but the tax did show up on our bill ...
Pretty sure he was not accurate :D