Carnival hub app and messaging from cell phones on Breeze

Drrandall

Snapchat using the ship's WiFi is an additional charge but cheaper than Cellular at Sea. The pricing for the different pricing is earlier in this thread.

I kinda figured that. Wonder if the $5 was good.

Thanks Carnival for having this wifi airplane mode option. We are on our cruise during my billing date. That would of been 4, $40 cellphone charges. Saved me $160.

Wow. That's awesome! Thanks.

Now Snapchat.....

When I was in Cancun last year I called people on it everyday for free. Is this possible on the ship or in ports?

I kinda figured that. Wonder if the $5 was good.

Thanks Carnival for having this wifi airplane mode option. We are on our cruise during my billing date. That would of been 4, $40 cellphone charges. Saved me $160.

According to the Carnival FAQ's, Snapchat is available with the $5/day Social plan, but it also says that does not include in-app calling. I've seen others on this forum say they were able to use voice calling with facebook messenger on the Social plan, but that may not always be the case, so don't go in expecting it to work or you might be disappointed. I only bring it up because if they were able to use it with fb messenger, there's a chance it'd work with Snapchat. No guarantees.

If you're in port and they have free wifi, you can connect to that wifi and use Snapchat as you would at home. I've also read that if you're in a port that's a U.S. territory, like Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands for example, those of us who have AT&T and Verizon (at least) can use our cell phones just as if we were back in the continental U.S. without having to worry about roaming fees. That is, of course, as long as the area you're in while in port has coverage for your particular carrier. We'll be in both of the ports I mentioned on our next cruise, so I'm hoping this is actually the case.

Just FYI, your phone can connect to wifi while in Airplane Mode anywhere, it's not just an option with Carnival. There's times when I will do this where wifi is available, but cellular signal is low. If the phone is constantly searching for a cell signal in an area with little coverage, it tends to drain the battery quicker. I put it in Airplane Mode so it isn't always searching for a cell signal, then turn on wifi so I can still use the internet & apps that need it.

Cellular data is unavailable while you're at sea. The ship only provides calling capabilities to your phone over cell. The ship's wifi will work, but it was slow on the May 28 cruise.

On land you have options for data depending on what country you're in. You'll need to check with AT&T on what your plan includes. Some have Mexico for no additional charge and $10 per day charges in other countries.

• 3 weeks later...
From the carnival website:

"Guests can upgrade from one plan to another and can use multiple devices per plan, including their smart phone, laptop or shipboard Internet cafe but only one device can be used at a time.

• Social ($5 USD per day)* – Offers access to sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, SnapChat and popular airline websites. Note: Plan does not include in-app calling, Facetime, iMessage or access to any other sites or apps.
  • Value ($16 USD per day)* – Provides access to a wide variety of sites and apps, including social media, e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and more. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming services such as Spotify.
  • Premium ($25 USD per day)* – Promises the fastest possible connection and includes access to all websites and apps, including some streaming video services.
  • Discounts are provided when purchasing a plan for the full duration of the voyage." So on 7 day cruise 2 weeks ago Social plan was $30 for duration of cruise and Value plan was $72. Don't remember discounted price for premium plan.

wait... social says no iMessage, but I was able to iMessage on the Pride in 2015 with the social media package. honestly don't remember if I used iMessage at all back in January on the Victory (also had the social media package). did something change? has anyone been able to iMessage on the social media plan recently?

I may be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that those sharing a room could all use the social wifi? As in, the first person signs out then the second signs in? Am I wrong? Or is this "illegal"?

TIA

You may use it on any devise, but only one at a time. So one person would have to log off for another to log on.

We used it on the Breeze a year ago. We never tell people when we are going to be out of town, so I was quite when I was sitting in my cabin and received a call from my grandson through FaceBook Messenger asking if he could come spend the night.

wait... social says no iMessage, but I was able to iMessage on the Pride in 2015 with the social media package. honestly don't remember if I used iMessage at all back in January on the Victory (also had the social media package). did something change? has anyone been able to iMessage on the social media plan recently?
We were able to use iMessage aboard the Conquest last year on the Social plan. At that time, the Carnival FAQ's didn't even mention iMessage in their Social plan description. At some point they reworded it to note that iMessage isn't available. I had hoped they were just overzealous in their wording because they kind of lumped it in with in-app calling and FaceTime, even though it can be used as a simple messaging app. I don't understand why they'd allow things like facebook messenger but not iMessage. I have heard varying accounts from other cruisers about iMessage working on the Social plan recently. Some say it did, some say it didn't. I don't know what to think.