Monarch of the Seas. Looking for hotels near port.

stalco

Last Dec. I stayed at the Marina Hotel and it was a dump. Only paid $40.00 on Priceline for it but I wouldn't stay there again if they paid me $40.00. No wonder the Hilton removed their franchise.

I also stayed at the Sheraton (now call the LA Harbor Hotel) and it was very nice. Right across the street from the cruise terminal and they provide a free shuttle to/from the ship. They have 2 great packages:

1. Fly N Sail-- $199.00 and includes round trip transfers to and from the airport and ship, a bottle of wine on arrival, and breakfast in the morning.

2. Park N Sail-- $149.00 and includes all the above but instead of the airport transfer you can park your car there free for the length of your cruise. They have very good underground parking.

I did the Park N Sail package and was very happy with this hotel. The also have a nice bar and restaurant onsite and are within walking distance to the Ports O Call Village.

Oh well, everyone has their own opinion. For the price difference, we thought the Marina was fine. Our room was large & clean and just fine for only 1 night. The staff was very accommodating & very prompt to take us to the port & pick us up. We stayed their in Sept 04...can't imagine that it could deteriorate that badly in only 3 months.

The Marina Hotel is under new management, and will soon be a Doubletree (part of the Hilton chain). They are about to undergo a significant refurbishment and may end up being quite a nice place. Having said that, however, they aren't finished yet. The Best Western and the Hotel Formerly Known As Sheraton are probably your best bets.

We stayed the Sheraton (not one anymore) and it was okay. Dated carpeting and furniture, but still was maintained as best as possible for the age. Used SPG points and was worth it. With priceline, that's a good price for $40-60 a night.

Advice: STAY AWAY FROM PARK N SAIL. The garage is completely unsecured and I didn't even trust the parking staff there. It's dark and very conducive for thieves to plunder your car.

I'm staying (literally right now) at the Westin in Long Beach this time prior to our Monarch trip tomorrow. We parked in the Terminal parking last time and will again for $10/day parking. Safe, secure, and close by. Long Beach is just a short jump to San Pedro ~15 min drive if no traffic.

Montreid,

Have a great cruise! I'm on in exactly 2 weeks, so please come back and give us a review, if you don't mind! I'd be interested in hearing what shore excursions you liked. It sounds like you've taken this cruise before.

I'm just up the "road" from you, in Sacramento, and am in Stockton a lot. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Archived