First time Carnival cruiser, camp ocean?

smmcvey

My husband and I have been on three cruises with RCCL. I had another booked that we were taking the kids on but timing and pricing had me cancelling RCCL and booking our first Carnival cruise. Our boys will be 7 & 9 when we cruise in February. How is camp ocean? Did your kids like to spend time there or prefer to spend time with the parents or in the pool? Also is there a height or weight restriction on the water slides? This was a main reason we didn't book Harmony of the Seas as the youngest son wouldn't be able to do the slides. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

My youngest son is 5, he's big enough for the slides. It went by height. (He's almost 6). He didn't like the camps though and preferred to stay with us, which is fine. My oldest, 13, went off and did his own thing. We only saw him at nights when he came in, if we were still awake.

My five-year old very much enjoyed going to camp and doing camp dinners. He liked the activities, but I think that is because it was a lot of craft-type projects, and he likes crafts. We had to cajole him to do stuff with us--other than the pool. He loves going to the pool and was always excited for us to pick him up for pool time. The height requirement for the slides is mostly 42", which I imagine your kids meet. I think there is one on a ship that is 48", but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since no one has chimed in, I will. My kids were 2 and 8, now 13 and 19, when they started cruising. They have done more than a dozen at this point. It wasn't Camp Ocean then but did change before my youngest moved to the teen group. They both have always loved the program, especially when younger or 15-17. I think the 12-14 group is just an awkward age and so harder to adapt unless you are super social by nature.

You can find tons of programs on here by just running a search. That was enough to get them excited.

We always took them after breakfast for the morning. The afternoon it was their choice if they wanted pool, putt putt or camp or some combination depending on the camp activities. More often than not they picked camp.

Back in room around 4 for mandatory rest/nap. Movie on. Kids on their beds. Period. More often than not it was a nap.

Then every night except once per cruise with begging for kids camp dinner, we ate as a family. We did early dining and asked wait staff to have fruit ready so they were a course ahead. By 7 camp was open and one of us walked them to camp while the other ordered coffee and dessert. We picked them up at 10 and it was straight to bed. Usually slept til 8 am.

Shore excursions were also family time.

Cruising is the easiest and most relaxing way to travel with kids!

PS the slides do have height restrictions but I don't know what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My 6yo girl would live in camp if given the chance. She loves it!

Carnivals FAQ section has the height requirements for slides on each ship. My petite 6yo has been able to go on the "big" slides for the past year. I think they had a 42" minimum but can't remember exactly and it does vary by ship.

Our granddaughter has been cruising with us since she was 4 years old. She is now 9 and cruise #17 for her will be in August. At the beginning of every cruise we stop and get the week schedule for Camp Ocean and she looks it over and circles what she wants to participate in. Some cruises she has practically lived in the kids programs and other times she has barely wanted to attend. We have never had a bad experience. The staff are very professional and friendly. They have a wide variety of activities to include arts and crafts, video games, face painting, scavenger hunts, movies, games, dancing, etc.

Be sure to attend the Camp Ocean orientation that is held on embarkation afternoon. Lots of good information is shared and it gives the kids a chance to meet some other kids. You can also complete the registration online which speeds things up.

The camp does a lot of Dr. Seuss things your kids might like. They have Dr. Seuss book readings, character breakfasts with green eggs and ham, and a Dr. Seuss conga line that takes them all over the ship. When the Dr. Seuss characters and the kiddos come parading by everyone cheers. They also have a Build-A-Bear workshop in camp that the kids love. And both kids should be old enough and tall enough for the slides. If you mention what ship you're on cruisers can give more specific advice about that particular cruise ship. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. We are on Glory. I was able to find the height requirements for the waterslides and they will be tall enough. I hope they like cruising as much as we do. I also hope that they enjoy the camp enough to give Dad and myself some alone time 😉.

Thanks for the replies everyone. We are on Glory. I was able to find the height requirements for the waterslides and they will be tall enough. I hope they like cruising as much as we do. I also hope that they enjoy the camp enough to give Dad and myself some alone time [emoji6].

Getting to have adult time is one of the big reasons we take at least one cruise a year!

DD will have dinner with camp about half the nights. My rule is that she has to have 2 meals a day with us, so I can make sure she is eating well overall.

She will also stay in camp if we have an activity scheduled in port that isn't appropriate for her. I will say my comfort level with doing this is that we only book Carnival excursions for those days.

Getting to have adult time is one of the big reasons we take at least one cruise a year!

DD will have dinner with camp about half the nights. My rule is that she has to have 2 meals a day with us, so I can make sure she is eating well overall.

She will also stay in camp if we have an activity scheduled in port that isn't appropriate for her. I will say my comfort level with doing this is that we only book Carnival excursions for those days.

That would be the only way I would leave them on the boat as well.

I have 3 kids and they have been cruising Carnival since they were babies. They always love going to camp and mostly we do dinners together and ports together, they usually beg to go to camp any other times. I'd suggest going to the open time the first day to show them what is there and get the schedule.

My DD (13) has been on many cruises, and she is hit or miss with the camps. I find a lot of it has to do with the makeup of the kids when she goes, as well as her mood on what she wants to do. She usually does like to go to shows, and eat dinner with us, even if she goes to the camps. Generally she likes the Carnival camps though (NCL is the one she almost never goes to, except once, and didn't like MSC's) more then usual, so they do a pretty good job of entertaining the kids at them. If they've done them on Royal, they'll have no problem with the ones on Carnival.

My DD (13) has been on many cruises, and she is hit or miss with the camps. I find a lot of it has to do with the makeup of the kids when she goes, as well as her mood on what she wants to do. She usually does like to go to shows, and eat dinner with us, even if she goes to the camps. Generally she likes the Carnival camps though (NCL is the one she almost never goes to, except once, and didn't like MSC's) more then usual, so they do a pretty good job of entertaining the kids at them. If they've done them on Royal, they'll have no problem with the ones on Carnival.

This will be their first cruise so we'll see. I'm less concerned about the youngest because he's outgoing but my 9 year old is shy so he may be harder to convince to try the camp. It doesn't help that they'll be in separate groups because of their ages.

This will be their first cruise so we'll see. I'm less concerned about the youngest because he's outgoing but my 9 year old is shy so he may be harder to convince to try the camp. It doesn't help that they'll be in separate groups because of their ages.

Different parenting styles perhaps but I would have made morning camp and evening not optional. That gives parents time and then they make friends and adjust. You still get plenty of family time on port days, lunch, afternoons and dinners.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Different parenting styles perhaps but I would have made morning camp and evening not optional. That gives parents time and then they make friends and adjust. You still get plenty of family time on port days, lunch, afternoons and dinners.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is usually us as well - morning and evening camps when not in port - unless there is some morning family event and then we move things around. My boys are 6 and 9, so in different groups, but they are both fairly social and made friends. They also enjoyed the video games at Camp Ocean.

We are cruising with our girls for the first time (ages 10, 6, and 4) in 2 weeks. We've made them think morning and evening camp times are just part of the cruise and not an option. ;) One thing that has seemed to get them really excited is watching you tube videos. My kids need to know what to expect in order to feel comfortable, so watching those videos about Camp Ocean online have eased their fears and have gotten them pumped up!

We are cruising with our girls for the first time (ages 10, 6, and 4) in 2 weeks. We've made them think morning and evening camp times are just part of the cruise and not an option. ;) One thing that has seemed to get them really excited is watching you tube videos. My kids need to know what to expect in order to feel comfortable, so watching those videos about Camp Ocean online have eased their fears and have gotten them pumped up!

My autistic son will be 5 the week after the cruise. Your idea is so smart!! What did you search for? I think this will help our son adjust.

I don't plan on forcing him to do something he isn't comfortable with since it's his vacation too but I like the idea of making it sound like that's just how it is. No big deal if it doesn't work out but kind of encourage it along.

My daughter 6, and son 13 were like ghost this past week on our cruise. My daughter actually had a fit because the camp closed for an hour and she had to leave. After discovering Camp Ocean she did not even want to go on the water slides anymore because she was having way too much fun in camp and me and mom were chopped liver. :) My son 13 has not stopped texting the friends he made since we got back.

Great idea. I'll try this.

The biggest thing I will say is get them to go the first day then (or second if it's too busy embarkation day). Since all the kids are generally new and don't know anyone, most make their friends for the cruise right away and it can be hard to get into an existing group then if they're shy.

This is for any cruise lines camp. I found Carnival does a good job with their kids groups, so I think they'll be fine even if shy.

The biggest thing I will say is get them to go the first day then (or second if it's too busy embarkation day). Since all the kids are generally new and don't know anyone, most make their friends for the cruise right away and it can be hard to get into an existing group then if they're shy.

This is the best advice.

I've had a 5yo in Camp Ocean (recently), and a 12yo in Circle C (a few years ago). In both instances what made their experience in camp fun was making a friend or two.

My 12yo initially didn't want to go to the tween mixer on the first night, but I pushed hard and told her that if she didn't have fun I wouldn't force the issue the rest of the cruise. But she made a friend the first night, and the two of them were inseparable after that. They actually corresponded with each other online for almost a year after the cruise was over.

At 9 yours will be one of the younger "Sharks" (9-11), so he shouldn't feel like the facility is "for littler kids" than him. There's a lot to do and the Councillors are great!