How ugly is 10 Ships in Port?

GSDsky

When are you going and where can one look up such info?

Thanks.

Checked it out and there are (yes) ten ships when we arrive...

Calling the experts to make a suggestion.

Rays sounds great but not necessary.

Any nice beach area where we tender in?

Sea-doo's would be a bonus?

I recently returned from a 7 day cruise with the Caymans as one of the stops. On the day I arrived, it was five other ships also in port. With everyone tendering in, the whole process took too long. The city was too crowded and made it most unpleasant.

I like the Western Caribbean, but if I go on a ship that stop in the Caymans and there are more than 3 ships, I rather stay on board.

Unless you really want to go ashore, I would stay on the boat instead. With ten ships, you are look at least 11,000 people trying to do the same thing that you are.

10 ships there on one day is pure insanity. Georgetown will be unbelievably crowded and traffic will be near gridlock.

Any nice beach area where we tender in?
If you idea of a beach includes sand that goes out into the water, the answer is no. All the shore line near the tender dock in Georgetown is ironshore. You will probably want to take a taxi or a "bus" to one of the beaches. You could walk to seven mile beach, if 2-3 miles isn't too far for you.

That is a lot of ships. The day we were there, there were two ships in port and I thought that was crowded. Ten ships has the potential of 15,000-20,000 people or so getting off. We're going to be there for a week, and we plan on arriving and leaving on Thursday because of the large number of ships. I've figured out what ships are in port, and how many are on each ship. Granted not everyone will get off the ship, but ten is still a huge amount of people, and most of those people will be concentrated in a small area.

If it were me...I'd rent a car for the day and go to the other side of the island. We're renting from Andy's and got a great deal on a SUV. :)

That is a lot of ships. The day we were there, there were two ships in port and I thought that was crowded. Ten ships has the potential of 15,000-20,000 people or so getting off. We're going to be there for a week, and we plan on arriving and leaving on Thursday because of the large number of ships. I've figured out what ships are in port, and how many are on each ship. Granted not everyone will get off the ship, but ten is still a huge amount of people, and most of those people will be concentrated in a small area.

I was thinking the same thing. When I went there were only 4, and it was still a zoo, especially in Georgetown itself.

I was thinking the same thing. When I went there were only 4, and it was still a zoo, especially in Georgetown itself.

I suppose they are trying to get as many people on the island as possible (since the hurricane), but IMO, allowing this many ships in port at one time, is a mistake. I'd cruise again, but I doubt I pick a ship that stops in GC. Four seems like a lot...ten is nuts. I just hope we can get across town and get to and from the airport when we arrive and leave!

On those days that there are lots of ships in port, people need to make sure they are in the right tender lines.

Last week onboard Carnival Liberty, we were not allowed to anchor/tender in George Town due to strong currents. Thus many cruise ships diverted (e.g. I know HAL Veendam skipped it). Liberty joined Carnival Imagination and Star Princess in tendering off Spots Bay. The tendering situation was quite a mess, but that's another story. Anyhow, our one excursion to Stingray City was pretty crowded near the sandbar (there were probably 10 other small vessels out there). Driving through George Town later, the shops also looked pretty busy. IOW, there were only 3 cruise ships in port and I thought it was pretty crowded on the island! With 10 ships, I'd consider staying on the ship and booking a massage!

Answered my own question & posting it here for others...

Go to www.caymanport.com click on cruise ships on upper left side of the screen and put in your month and year....it will give you a day by day schedule on their calander.

Fortunatly there will be only 4 on my day in port...much better than 10!!!Holy Cow!!! We are going to the sting rays in the late morning...thank goodness.... since the other ships are all arriving 2-3 hours earlier than us...hopefully most will be finishing their tour as we are arriving!

GC has been AWFUL about too many ships in port at one time.

First trip there, there were 5.

2nd....there were 10.

The island was a MESS. Hot sweaty people everywhere, most of them standing in a line for 2 hours waiting to board tenders back to their ships. A couple of people got sick in the heat. It was just horrible.

Won't take a cruise again with GG on the itinerary -- if it's on the itinerary I"ll stay onboard thanks!!

I just went to the GC site and there are 9 in port the day we are there. Eeeewww.

I have completely bagged the idea of trying to even get off the ship. I'll take the money we would have spent on a shorex, and book a massage instead as terpnut suggested.

Bet i find a nice spot by the pool as well.

Archived