Pride or Fascination - accessibilty answers needed please.

RCmommy

Hello, everyone. Need some answers and/or clarification please.

We have a disabled friend who would like to join us on a cruise. He uses a scooter, and cannot walk unassisted. Can manage short distances if there is a wall, stationary furniture or something to hold on to. He has called Carnival but found the accessibility info they gave him is not matching what he is reading all over the internet. For instance the Carnival rep told him a cabin he was enquiring about was fully accessible and he then researched and discovered that there is a step up into the bathroom. On the web, he has read anywhere from 3.5 to 8 inch step up.

My family is currently booked on the Fascination and wonder if anyone has first hand knowledge of the accessible rooms? I.e. Will all cabins have a step up into the bathroom ?

If he is unable to book a cabin on that cruise, we would consider switching to the Pride if that ship has accessibility. Anyone have any knowledge of this ship's cabins. Thank you!

Thank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Pride is a very accessible ship. The fully accessible interiors and the modified accessible interiors don't have steps into the bathroom. I highly recommend the 4k accessible cabins. Lots of turnaround space and great bathrooms. They are also very convenient to the serenity area, dining room and the buffet and a short trip anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thank you! It would seem that what is "fully accessible" is sold out on both cruises (though it is hard to determine for certain on the website), so we are trying to determine how accessible the other accessible cabins fall in terms of adaptability...

Thank you! It would seem that what is "fully accessible" is sold out on both cruises (though it is hard to determine for certain on the website), so we are trying to determine how accessible the other accessible cabins fall in terms of adaptability...

Call Carnival, they may be able to bump people out of the accessible rooms (some people book them bc they are larger, and have no physical need for them)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Call Carnival, they may be able to bump people out of the accessible rooms (some people book them bc they are larger, and have no physical need for them)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is true. Your friend needs to contact Carnival , your PVP or TA and tell them he needs a barrier free stateroom. They will need to complete some paperwork and unless everyone else in his stateroom category has provided proof of need, they will get bumped.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx - different types of accessible staterooms This page also includes the link to the form needed.

Carnival has modified and fully accessible cabins. Modified cabins are pretty much regular cabins with extra grab bars etc.

Call Carnival Special Needs desk. They have the info.

Also, read the Disabled Cruisers board. They know everything over there.

Many book HC cabins a year or two out.

4205, 4202 and 4203 are listed as modified accessible. My mother who is a full time wheelchair user actually prefers 4205 over the fully accessible 4207. The biggest difference on the Pride is that the modified accessible don't have automatic door openers. We bought our own door stop to solve that issue.

This information only applies to the Pride, other modified accessible cabins are listed as such for various reasons. I also don't recommend a modified accessible balcony as sometimes the wheelchair can't get out onto the balcony.

I am actually surprised at how difficult it is to find information regarding accessible cabins on the interwebs! The special needs desk is not open until 9-5 on Monday so for the moment we are on our own.

I am going to have him create an account on here and visit the disability thread.

Would I be correct to assume that all the modified handicap cabins on both the Pride and Fascination will have the step up into the bathroom? Only the fully accessible will not?

I cannot find any info on the bathroom step and what I can find online regarding the door openings to the cabin are listed as 22", the same as non accessible cabins. I guess that is why we often see so many scooters parked in the hallway outside the cabins???

I am actually surprised at how difficult it is to find information regarding accessible cabins on the interwebs! The special needs desk is not open until 9-5 on Monday so for the moment we are on our own.

I am going to have him create an account on here and visit the disability thread.

Would I be correct to assume that all the modified handicap cabins on both the Pride and Fascination will have the step up into the bathroom? Only the fully accessible will not?

I cannot find any info on the bathroom step and what I can find online regarding the door openings to the cabin are listed as 22", the same as non accessible cabins. I guess that is why we often see so many scooters parked in the hallway outside the cabins???

Click on my links above to read the descriptions of the different accessible staterooms.

The Pride modified accessible do not have a step up into the bathroom.

To give you an idea what our friend is up against in terms of answers to the accessible cabins on the Fascination.

He asked about cabin E68. On the phone he spoke with two different reps that told him that this particular cabin has no lip/step up into the bathroom and the shower is roll in, BUT it is noted that a step will be added and the cabin doorway narrowed during the Fascinations next dry dock. They specified the time is unknown.

So, I guess now we need to find out if Fascination will be going into dry dock between now and our cruise which is March 11-18.

Anyone?

We came off of the Pride on April 2. It was the 4th time I took my scooter on the Pride. It's a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus. We always book a standard or extended balcony and I drive into the cabin while DH holds the cabin door open. I can turn around in the cabin, and we still have room to use the sofa, the vanity, etc. It's not in the way. I usually use my cane in the cabin, if necessary, or I walk around holding onto things. I don't need an accessible cabin yet. This year the steward asked if I needed a shower chair. The Pride is very easy to get around with the scooter.

To give you an idea what our friend is up against in terms of answers to the accessible cabins on the Fascination.

He asked about cabin E68. On the phone he spoke with two different reps that told him that this particular cabin has no lip/step up into the bathroom and the shower is roll in, BUT it is noted that a step will be added and the cabin doorway narrowed during the Fascinations next dry dock. They specified the time is unknown.

So, I guess now we need to find out if Fascination will be going into dry dock between now and our cruise which is March 11-18.

Anyone?

I strongly recommend that you check out cruisedeckplans.com They have lots of pictures of accessible cabins. You can also cross check other ships in the same class because many of them are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone?

If I am not mistaken, the Fascination is going into dry dock February 2018