Attention All Divers...

VABeach

I will be sailing the Eastern Caribbean in three weeks and would like to go diving at one island. (Non-Certified Dive-SCUBA, or SNUBA. We have done this at other islands.)

I have narrowed the decission down to: St. Maarten, or St. Thomas.

St. Thomas cost more, but we are willing to pay the higher price if the scenery is better.

Thank you for your input.

I have been on both dives twice (AOS and MOS). Both are very similiar and have pros and cons. I liked the St. Thomas dive as it was further away from the cruise ship and was very relaxing - the Dive team in St. Thomas was a bit more fun with the cruisers, but to be fair the St. Maarten dive shop was good as well. Both dives (for certified divers) are on wrecks and reefs and both offer good scenery as well as relaxed diving. If this were to be a resort type dive (there was no snuba), than I would go with the St. Thomas dive as there probably is less current and better open water diving and visibility.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it will be a "Non-Certified Dive/Discover SCUBA". I am not certified yet, but plan on doing it eventually. This has been a great way for me to discover how much I love it!

So I wonder why the St. Thomas is $30.00 more???

My husband dived in St. Maarten and said it was pretty good, but he's dived better (Cozumel and Bonaire are his favorites). Try going on the Scuba and snorkeling board and I bet you will find a ton of information. Have a great cruise!

My husband dived in St. Maarten and said it was pretty good, but he's dived better (Cozumel and Bonaire are his favorites). Try going on the Scuba and snorkeling board and I bet you will find a ton of information. Have a great cruise!

That's what I'm worried about. The first time I went was in Grand Cayman, and it was good because it was the first time and I had nothing to compare it to. Last time, I went in Cozumel. Now I'm spoiled!

I really want to choose the one that will be the most scenic as they are not all the same.

Divers! Snorkelers! Where are you??? I need help! :D (We sail in less than three weeks, so I need to get one booked).

VA - They are both about equally as scenic - the St. Thomas dive (for certified divers) has some nice swim throughs on the reefs we visited, the St. Thomas dive is more open on a scattered wreck with a nice reef wall dive.

If it's sunny out - the St. Thomas dive has better visibility(Unfortunately last May we all surfaced to a rain shower and wished we had stayed down longer)! but again - the St. Maarten dive is not that far behind, so it's fairly equal. (the weather the next day in St. Maarent wasn't much better)! I wish I had some good pictures to share (unfortunately my underwater photo skills are lacking).

You're right - Cozumel will spoil you! Can't wait to dive again there this Jan.

Archived