Coral Princess Review - AK Southbound 5/29

kkorman

Calif Cruise - last year, there was a horrendous board war that developed when the Diamond Princess was late into Seattle after hitting the dock in Victoria. Things really got ugly. So, you are unintentionally opening up old wounds. We've lost a lot of good members here since that incident. And for some, those feelings are still a little fresh. Bdjam wasn't flaming you - nor should you flame him.

It's all water under the bridge now, and let's keep it that way.

I wasn’t even around last year for whatever problems occurred here. You Spongerob assume far, far too much!

You are not the mighty OZ either. Why is it that you think that on your words, I should have to stop posting? Again, you assume far, far, too much.

This is surreal. Don't get out of line, or "The Group" will descend! Not cool! However, I will agree to disagree.

All I'm saying is that you are commenting on something that is "old news". Go back and find the Diamond Princess - May 22 thread. You'll understand why I suggest that this is not a good topic.

But if your "specific reason to post" involves an argument, I'm sure you'll find someone amenable. As for me, I'm just trying to be a Good Sponge. Srphnx is one has left this board. I miss his wit, even if I didn't always agree with him.

Are you the post police? Why don't you find something better to do with your time than chase after me. I'll post whenever and wherever I choose. As for you? Look around the corner, you just might find a life! Geez, grow up!
I actually was spending my time re-reading a very good review by the original poster and enjoying his pictures. His very positive review was interesting to me because I could reflect on my recent extraordinary 15 days on Island Princess. It was a coincidence that you had also posted here, and your comment was totally out of context, and a year too late. It doesn't seem like you took the time to appreciate Kevin's pictures or his words. You have every right on this board to post anywhere you'd like just like the rest of us. And you have every right to post what you feel, just like the rest of us. And by the way, I do have a life...if you were more friendly, we could probably talk about it sometime.
That is not her "honest" reason. Anyway, I replied here for a specific reason today.
Maybe you can explain to us what my real honest reason was? And maybe you can help us to understand your reason for replying…and if it had been in your first post on this thread, maybe we wouldn’t be having this discussion. My, I do sound like the post police, huh? And for future reference, I would be a police man.
You are not the mighty OZ either. Why is it that you think that on your words, I should have to stop posting? Again, you assume far, far, too much.

This is surreal. Don't get out of line, or "The Group" will descend! Not cool! However, I will agree to disagree.

I don't think anyone asked anybody to stop posting or disagreeing. Isn't that what makes these boards interesting - that we all have opinions? Shouldn't we all be able to post our opinions without being called names - like "cheerleader?" Everyone appreciates an objective post and a good debate.

1) Is Ketchikan always a tender port for the Coral, or was this just due to the number of ships that were there that day?

4) Did you try the flexible dining? We aren't into 3 hour formal dinners, but all I have heard about the flexible dining has been bad.

Hi, Ann. As you may have noticed, I too have a question or two for Kevin, but since it's been almost a year since his last post in this thread, it may be a while until he answers.

As for Coral anchoring and tendering in Ketchikan, it's a strong possibility, especially if Diamond or Sapphire are in port on the same day. The larger ship will probably get the pier and the smaller one will anchor. It's more cost-effective that way. Diamond and Sapphire each have as many as 700 more passengers and 200 more crew, and if anchoring/tendering, that means a higher percentage of resources (tender boats, personnel, fuel) as well as time, to get everyone ashore who's going ashore.....

Because of the strong possibility of tendering in Ketchikan, I'm going to be booking my shore excursions from Princess, even though there are other sources that are sometimes as good or better, and equal to or lower-priced. The reason for this is that when it does come time to shuttle to shore, those holding Princess shore excursions will be given priority over non-Princess and non-excursion passengers going ashore. I can't imagine anything worse than sitting on the ship, after spending some bucks on an indepent shore excursion site, only to see the clock tick right past your excursion time while the Princess-paid folks get to go ashore and you have to wait.

Regarding the dining: I can't speak for the flexible dining on the smaller Princess ships, but our experiences on both Diamond and Sapphire were fantastic. Of course, with those two ships there is the formal dining room plus four additional themed dining rooms that are available at no additional price, and Sabatini's at $20 per person. With Coral Princess there are fewer restaurant options, so we have selected traditional dining, but will take one or two nights to explore the other dining rooms if seating is available there when we want to dine.

That's how we did it on our 12-night cruise on Sapphire, too. All we did was make sure our regular table staff knew when we were dining elsewhere. And the computer connections between all of the dining rooms on Sapphire and Diamond is great. Hopefully it will be the same on Coral.

Cheers,

Norm

Hi, Ann. As you may have noticed, I too have a question or two for Kevin, but since it's been almost a year since his last post in this thread, it may be a while until he answers.

As for Coral anchoring and tendering in Ketchikan, it's a strong possibility, especially if Diamond or Sapphire are in port on the same day. The larger ship will probably get the pier and the smaller one will anchor. It's more cost-effective that way. Diamond and Sapphire each have as many as 700 more passengers and 200 more crew, and if anchoring/tendering, that means a higher percentage of resources (tender boats, personnel, fuel) as well as time, to get everyone ashore who's going ashore.....

Because of the strong possibility of tendering in Ketchikan, I'm going to be booking my shore excursions from Princess, even though there are other sources that are sometimes as good or better, and equal to or lower-priced. The reason for this is that when it does come time to shuttle to shore, those holding Princess shore excursions will be given priority over non-Princess and non-excursion passengers going ashore. I can't imagine anything worse than sitting on the ship, after spending some bucks on an indepent shore excursion site, only to see the clock tick right past your excursion time while the Princess-paid folks get to go ashore and you have to wait.

Regarding the dining: I can't speak for the flexible dining on the smaller Princess ships, but our experiences on both Diamond and Sapphire were fantastic. Of course, with those two ships there is the formal dining room plus four additional themed dining rooms that are available at no additional price, and Sabatini's at $20 per person. With Coral Princess there are fewer restaurant options, so we have selected traditional dining, but will take one or two nights to explore the other dining rooms if seating is available there when we want to dine.

That's how we did it on our 12-night cruise on Sapphire, too. All we did was make sure our regular table staff knew when we were dining elsewhere. And the computer connections between all of the dining rooms on Sapphire and Diamond is great. Hopefully it will be the same on Coral.

Cheers,

Norm

Since the change in ships for 2006 we are now going on the Sapphire,so will should be a little less likely to tender. Also, thank you for the information on the dining. We are really excited about the trip.

I also like your suggestion about the Princess sponsered excursions. I think anything we would reserve ahead, we will do through Princess, just in case there is a change in port times or something.

From what I understand now, Kevin is no longer on the newsgroup, so I really appreciate your answers.

I really enjoyed the review. My TA is steering us toward Princess instead of RCCL. She suggested the Coral Princess in May of next year.

Can anyone tell me if a teenager would enjoy this cruise line?

Also, she says we want to be on the port side for the scenery. Is this correct?

I'm totally new to this. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Myrtle

I really enjoyed the review. My TA is steering us toward Princess instead of RCCL. She suggested the Coral Princess in May of next year.

Can anyone tell me if a teenager would enjoy this cruise line?

Also, she says we want to be on the port side for the scenery. Is this correct?

I'm totally new to this. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Myrtle

If you are going Southbound, you want the port side, yes. Northbound would be the opposite and RT would be either side. From what I understand, at the Glaciers they keep turning around to give everyone a good view, but as you are traveling South along the gulf of alaska and the inner passage, the mainland is on the port side.

This is our first cruise with Princess and the first to Alaska, but all the reviews I have heard have been positive from the teen perspective and the biggest suggestion is to get them to the mixer on the first evening since that is when most friendships start. We will have one at the top age bracket for the kids program and one in the teen program. Someoneo posted a teen patter somewhere and my kids were really excited about all the different activities listed.

Have fun planning.

Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Having sailed on both ships, we can attest to how wonderful Diamond and Sapphire are. And to answer the question about kids enjoying the cruise, I think both of these ships have fantastic childrens' and teens' programs. During a recent cruise conference in Seattle I got to visit Sapphire again and checked out the children's area (since we hadn't spent any time visiting it during our Australia cruise) and I was really impressed with how large, clean and full of variety the spaces were.

As for a port or starboard preference, it's true the mainland (huge mountains and glaciers) will be on that side, but the western view also has some spectacular secenery among the various islands, as well as those beautiful sunsets at night. Late at night. Very, very late at night. If at all.

However, and I qualify this with our experience sailing on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas through the Panama Canal......if someone were to book a cruise on that ship in Alaska, I believe they would have as much fun and enjoy themselves as much as they would on Diamond or Sapphire. We had previously put Radiance #1 on our list of ships we love. Until this past February when we put Sapphire and Diamond into a tie for first place.

Archived