Norovirus on the Splendour

Cruiser723

I was wondering if the ill effects of the Norovirus from the late Novemeber cruise will still be permeating through the decks of the Splendour for my Dec. 10th cruise.

Has anyone been so unfortunate as to have contracted norovirus on a cruise? If so, please describe in graphic detail. Thanks.

Reported on http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

We were on the Voyager a week after a reported Norovirus outbreak. There were hand sanitizing stations all over the ship. Fortunately, we did not get sick and we didn't hear anything about anyone else getting sick either. I guess they gave the ship a really through cleaning and got everything under control really quickly.

I don't think worrying is going to help anyone enjoy their cruise. If the hand sanitation devices are used regularly and everyone does his/her share to practice good hygene I am sure you will be fine. Remember anyone can get the virus from almost anywhere. My daughter just got over it and said it was Hell!! Where did she pick it up, no idea, but she came down with it while on vacation at a resort at the Baltic Sea. No, she didn't get it from there, she came down with it the day she got there. Think of all the people she may have exposed, not knowing she was carrying the germs?

NMNita

My BIL missed Thanksgiving dinner because of this. He has no idea where he picked it up - and he has never been on a cruise. It's a common ailment that is very contagious. Cruise ships are the only entities which are required to report it, so that's why people tend to think this is only a cruise ship problem. On the contrary, it can be found anywhere.

I'm sorry your BIL got sick. Hopefully he is feeling better now.

When you put people in close conditions, illnesses happen unfortunately. I'm personally less worried about getting sick on a cruise ship than I am at school. You wouldn't believe the number of people who come to school or work with fever, even though they have sick days or absences they can take. My first year of law school we had over 100 people get sick at one time because one or two people refused to take the absences they were allowed.

To help avoid getting sick, wash your hands constantly and use hand sanitizers if you can (bring your own if you feel the need). Don't ever put your hands near your face without washing your hands first, especially after touching door handles, railings, etc. If you feel yourself getting sick, either go to the infirmary or self-quarantine yourself. Don't make others sick by refusing to separate yourself from them.

If you've ever had "the 24 hour stomach flu" - odds are that was Norovirus. It works its way through offices, schools, etc.

Next time you hear, "there's a flu going around." That's the same as saying, "there's been a Norovirus Outbreak."

I seem to remember a thread awhile ago that stated using a hand sanitizer will not stop the virus from being passed on. I also read that people who were ill did NOT go to the infirmary for fear of being quarantined to their cabin :mad: Very easy to pass along the virus among other passengers that way. People must be vigilant, use common sense and use good hygiene at the source.

My sister, brother in law and their friends just came back from a repo cruise this Sat. on the Splendour. They never mentioned anyone getting ill but that doesn't mean there were no incidents. My sister did notice that in the Windjammer when plates, utensils were removed, the tables were not wiped down for the next pax.

We just came back from the Transatlantic crossing on the Splendour.

I´ve got the Virus and it was the worst night of my life.

But I took some medicine, only drank Coke and did not eat anything the next 1 1/2 days. And then we had again a wonderful cruise.

My husband was not infected, also my 4 friends at our table were not infected. Only another tablemate got it and he also had a bad time.

We´ve got the desinfection, first in the Windjammer, and no more selfservice, no softice, no cheese, no fresh fruits.

Then we had to desinfect our hands even before dinner in the diningroom.

Ylou can get it everywhere, not only on a cruiseship. But on a ship they can seperate you and your cabinmate for some days. Thank god, that did not happen to us and they did not forbid to visit the Bahamas.

Wish you all, that this would never happen to you.

Marita

I seem to remember a thread awhile ago that stated using a hand sanitizer will not stop the virus from being passed on. I also read that people who were ill did NOT go to the infirmary for fear of being quarantined to their cabin :mad: Very easy to pass along the virus among other passengers that way. People must be vigilant, use common sense and use good hygiene at the source.

My sister, brother in law and their friends just came back from a repo cruise this Sat. on the Splendour. They never mentioned anyone getting ill but that doesn't mean there were no incidents. My sister did notice that in the Windjammer when plates, utensils were removed, the tables were not wiped down for the next pax.

I think what you say is about right on as for not going to the infirmery. I have heard that before; it's selfish, but it happens. As for the hand sanitizers, well who knows, but it is worth something. We all know the secret to contolling Norvo is sanitation so washing hands zillions of times certainly can't hurt. NMnita

you can also catch it from flying. i know when i went to guatemala to visit my son before our adoption was final another girl and i were flying together and she and i were both sick. we had to have caught it from the plane we were flying on because I live in MD and she lives in FL and we both caught a connecting flight in FL that flew to guaetemala. i called the hotel dr and he gave me a shot of something and i felt much better within 3 hours of getting meds. she never called the dr and was sick the entire 4 days we were there.

I was on the Spendour over Thanksgiving and I did get the virus. I was never so sick in my life, I did not eat for 3 days. There was so many people sick on the ship, one of our table mates got it and passed out, he was not in the dining room to eat for 4 nights, he did come down on Friday night to tell us goodbye, he still was sick and went right back to his room and did not know how he was going to make it back to Scotland.

THe ship did not have hand sanitizers until the 10th day of the cruise.

Other than being sick for 3 days we had a wonderful time.

My husband and I both got norovirus on Navigator for the 9/24/05 eastern Caribbean sailing. It was horrible. Imagine being in an inside cabin with no ventilation throwing up in the same toilet that your husband is using for his problem out the other end. That's enough for graphic. We washed our hands and used Purell and didn't touch anything unnecessary but we both still got sick 5 1/2 days into the cruise. So, try to be careful and clean but realize that you are cruising with 3000 other people who may not be.

And this is not to be negative. We still had a great time on our "5 1/2 day" cruise. The chances of it happening are probably slim but you asked for details so I am giving them to you :)

Oh, and by the way make sure you sanitize the room when you arrive. We were sick in our room all Thursday night and Friday, and then we disembarked on Saturday morning. I guarantee you they didn't clean the remote control, which we basically slept with for two days, and the phone, which we used to call the doctor, and the cabinets, etc. The people who were in our room after us were definitely exposed to whatever we had.

First post, moves in and stirs the pot. How about something relevant?

I'm cruising on the Splendour in 10 days. How is this post not relevant? Yes it was my first, but I was able to recieve some good information from folks who have unfortunately contracted norovirus. And at what point can I start a post? after my 25th or 50th post?

And would this be an apporpriate 2nd post? Please advise.

air-born pathogens are icky! I travel w/the Purell, try to wash as frequently as feasible, use the xtra hand sanitizers where/when ships make them available and still get sick, but it's always been due to overeating all that rich and in-excess foods I never eat at home, y'know. One tip I practice: when doing an unrestricted buffet line, I take a paper napkin and use that napkin to cover the spoon handles as I serve myself. It's not much protection, but it's a little added something. (I try not to touch railings, either) (I'm not paranoid, am I:rolleyes: ) As stated: if everyone would take sanitary precautions, outbreaks of flu and such would be reduced, yes?

If any corporate staff are reading this: "why don't the ships offer disposable gloves for participants at the buffet lines?"

Last year, around this exact same time - the discussions about the Norovirus began. I was about to take my first cruise ever and I was petrified of getting sick. Those of you who know me, know that I was freaking out on a daily basis :o Several of RCI's fleet were affected by the virus and I was convinced it would affect my ship too.

Norovirus shows itself most often in the winter months (I'm not sure why) anyone can catch the virus anywhere...not just on a cruise ship. Do you grocery shop, go to the movies, take public transit? If you answered yes to any of the previous, then take heed - you could be the next Norovirus victim! The bottom line is that this virus is everywhere and we need to take precautions, but we shouldn't let the "possibility" of something impede our vacations - especially vacations a lot of us have been planning for a year or more.

There will undoubtedly be hand sanitizing stations situated throughout the ship - use them! Keep your hands clean and away from your face.

Have a great cruise :)

air-born pathogens are icky! I travel w/the Purell' date=' try to wash as frequently as feasible, use the xtra hand sanitizers where/when ships make them available and still get sick, but it's always been due to overeating all that rich and in-excess foods I never eat at home, y'know. One tip I practice: when doing an unrestricted buffet line, I take a paper napkin and use that napkin to cover the spoon handles as I serve myself. It's not much protection, but it's a little added something. (I try not to touch railings, either) (I'm not paranoid, am I:rolleyes: ) As stated: if everyone would take sanitary precautions, outbreaks of flu and such would be reduced, yes?

If any corporate staff are reading this: "why don't the ships offer disposable gloves for participants at the buffet lines?"[/quote']

Norovirus is not spread via the airborne route, it is fecal-oral. It is not at all silly of you to use the napkin when touching the serving utensils. This is one way the virus spreads at buffet lines. Someone who is infected doesn't wash properly after using the bathroom, then walks up to the buffet line, contaminates the serving utensils, an unsuspecting victim follows, uses the same utensils, sits down at the table, scratches an itch on his mouth or touches his fork, and bingo...

An added protection would be to use a hand sanitizer or handwipe to cleanse your hands before picking up your fork. Not 100% guarantee, but could help. Nothing you can do, however, if someone in food prep has contaminated the actual food.

The people who actually do get this virus on cruise ships are still in the minority of overall cruisers. Your odds are pretty good of having a good cruise.

I'm cruising on the Splendour in 10 days. How is this post not relevant? Yes it was my first, but I was able to recieve some good information from folks who have unfortunately contracted norovirus. And at what point can I start a post? after my 25th or 50th post?

And would this be an apporpriate 2nd post? Please advise.

The post is appropriate and cruise related. Some CCers simply get suspicious when something of this magnitude is posted by a first timer. There are people who troll the boards, use multiple user names and/or change them, with the itnent of stirring up discontent against cruisers and their favorite cruise lines.

As for the virus, it's a fairly common one. I actually believe it occurs less frequently on cruise ships than it does in schools around the country. Unfortunately, a school with the virus does not make it in the media, but a cruise ship does.

Common sense is key. Thoroughly wash your hands--you'll even see signs in the bathroom suggesting this--avoid touching as many surfaces as possible (e.g., stair rails, door nobs, etc.), always wash your hands before meals, use hand sanitizing stations if available, etc.

Here is the link to CDC's VSP update on norovirus outbreak on Splendour's repositioning cruise.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2005/update_nov23splendoroftheseas.htm

I too am also cruising on Splendour Dec 10 and this was the only thread on the boards regarding this outbreak. Thanks Cruiser723 for asking the question.

• 3 weeks later...

After sailing the Splendour from Dec. 10th-15th all indications of the norovirus were non-exsistent. There were still a few hand sanitizer stations around the ship, but not many. I asked a couple crew members and they said that they had just had a meeting just before our cruise congratulating the crew on their successful efforts to rid the ship of the virus. One crew member said that it often happens on transatlantic cruises. I also saw workers on a daily basis wiping the handrails down. It seemed that they were everywhere throughout our cruise wiping down all handrails.

I hope that the norovirus hasn't reared it's ugly head again now that the ship is being delayed in port today.

with Nirovirus as stated by Purell & other companies. Hot water & soap lathering for over a minute & a 1 minutes rinse will work. So these sanitation stations are over little help.

On Summit 11/20-12/4 is sounded like pneumonia ward in the showroom with all the coughing going on. Even a performer mentioned feeling like he is choking with coughing all day 7 night. Many folks agreed. Luckily not us!

I don't think worrying is going to help anyone enjoy their cruise. If the hand sanitation devices are used regularly and everyone does his/her share to practice good hygene I am sure you will be fine. Remember anyone can get the virus from almost anywhere. My daughter just got over it and said it was Hell!! Where did she pick it up, no idea, but she came down with it while on vacation at a resort at the Baltic Sea. No, she didn't get it from there, she came down with it the day she got there. Think of all the people she may have exposed, not knowing she was carrying the germs?

NMNita

Archived