Car rentals in Miami

National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttles between their MIA airport location and POM; Hertz, Avis and others in downtown Miami may offer shuttles - reports are mixed :( -- but a taxi from there to POM will be about $12 or you can Uber for under $10. If you get a good deal from someone else at MIA the cab fare to POM is $27+tip or the Uber fare will be closer to $16

National/Alamo/Enterprise - Miami Airport

Avis/Budget - Downtown Miami

Hertz - Downtown Miami

Dollar/Thrifty - Miami Airport

We just recently completed a trip using Budget with a one-way rental to Miami to their downtown location (use location code P2F). We used Thrifty (airport location) on the return. I can confirm that Avis/Budget have several shuttles from their downtown location (used 6/5/2017), and Dollar/Thrifty (used 6/9/2017) goes to the airport. We also saw several shuttles for Alamo/National/Enterprise at the Miami Airport on 6/9.

National/Alamo/Enterprise - Miami Airport

Avis/Budget - Downtown Miami

Hertz - Downtown Miami

Dollar/Thrifty - Miami Airport

We just recently completed a trip using Budget with a one-way rental to Miami to their downtown location (use location code P2F). We used Thrifty (airport location) on the return. I can confirm that Avis/Budget have several shuttles from their downtown location (used 6/5/2017), and Dollar/Thrifty (used 6/9/2017) goes to the airport. We also saw several shuttles for Alamo/National/Enterprise at the Miami Airport on 6/9.

Did you encounter any traffic returning the car to Budget's downtown location? Not sure if I should be returning to Miami Airport using Alamo or the downtown location, renting from Budget. I will be returning on a Friday morning, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Did you encounter any traffic returning the car to Budget's downtown location? Not sure if I should be returning to Miami Airport using Alamo or the downtown location, renting from Budget. I will be returning on a Friday morning, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

We stayed in the Palm Beach Gardens area the night before. Drove on a Monday morning to the port, leaving around 9:00 am. (Traffic should be the same as a Friday).

Took I-95 the whole way to downtown Miami. Was able to drive about 10 mph over the speed limit the whole way with the exception of a 2 mile stretch around the Dade / Broward county line, which averaged around 15 mph.

Hint - Exit at exit 8-B to top off the gas. (This is one of the last exits that is easy on / easy off of I-95 with cheaper gas stations than what one would find around downtown Miami). Get back on I-95 and take exit 2C (it exits to the left) in downtown Miami. The ramp then splits between Miami Ave (left) and Biscayne Blvd (Right). Take Miami Ave / stay in the left lane to do a right hand turn (all lanes have to turn right). Make first left immediately, then make your next available left. You should soon see the Avis and Budget locations at the next cross street.

Had the car returned by 10:35 am / Arrived at the port via the shuttle at 10:55 am, and was on board approximately 15-20 minutes later. We had VIP access though, so 15-20 minutes from port arrival to on the ship is not the norm.

Also, that slow stretch that I mentioned earlier was around the Golden Glades / Palmetto Expressway exit, and would affect you the same if you were to take the Turnpike or I-95, and also if you were going to the airport or downtown rental car locations.

Edited by loanshark

We are arriving at the POM on the NCL Jade (re positioning) in November. I see that Hertz has a POM pic up. Can I return the car to a Miami Beach location instead of where I picked it up?

You can - but Hertz might charge you more for a one-way rental.

Check with Hertz, or you can avoid any one-way fees by using Uber to get form POM to Miami Beach.