Have you ever been on a waitlist and did you get a cabin?

rickdeni

I tried to book the 14 day Grand Caribbean Islander on the Sea Princess for March 11th and when I selected either a mini-suite or a balcony, it would show waitlist only. I don't know whether to waitlist or book on Holland American which has an open mini-suite. Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe if you called Princess, they could tell you?

A few months ago, my parents were wait-listed for a Caribbean cruise... they started out at number 16, but they had a cabin within a few days. (There are usually alot of cancellations closer to the date of sailing).

I don't know if this is typical but I currently have a booking for an Oceanview Deluxe cabin (category DD?) on the Sea Princess next July. We booked this cruise in June when there was availability in all categories. In August we decided to splurge for a minisuite but they were all booked. We are #1 on the waitlist for a minisuite (we still have our Oceanview) and are still waiting. For awhile there were only inside cabins available but some BB balcony and oceanview cabins opened up the other day. No matter what, we'll be on the cruise. The only question is what category and the final price.

booked the Nov 4 sailing of the Coral Princess in August, booked best that was available which was a balconey guarantee, had TA make note that we were interested in a mini-suite which were sold out then. About a month prior to cruise got offered a mini-suite which we took. Cost a bit more but feel it was worth it. So does happen, not sure why, does it mean people cancelled or do they hold some rooms back, etc? On Early seating waitlist started at 338, moved up to 190 by cruise date, ended up with Anytime dining - which turned out worked well for us except one night when it seems like everyone wanted to at 6 PM.

When you waitlisted did they give you a price for the mini-suite?

For me they did not, booked Balconey Guarantee cat BH, offered Mini-suite cat AB for $1200 total additional for 10 night Panama Canal cruise. I thought the price was high, certainly higher then I wanted to pay, but did it anyway had thought the room was very nice. Even with only two of us, the extra room was nice and probably prevented some friction with us bumping into each other while trying to get ready for dinner as we have done on other cruises.

If you won't be happy without a balcony, book with Holland America. One tip I've seen on Cruise Critic repeatedly is not to book a cabin that you don't like in the hope of getting an upgrade. You may find yourself stuck for 14 days in accommodations that you don't like, and that would be a shame. But if you're ok with an OV only, then by all means toss the dice!

If you are waitlisted, don't count on the waitlist to come thru for you. We were #12 on the list for a balcony cabin. However, each morning I would check to see what cabins were available in general. One morning, saw a Caribe Deck balcony available. Emailed TA - she grabbed it and then gave Princess a hard time. No one knows WHY it didn't go into the waitlist pool.... but we got it due to diligence. Just be sure to check often to see if anything you like comes up.

However, book the catagory that you will be happy with in case the upgrade never comes up. If you wouldn't be happy with anything less than what you are waitlisted for, you might want to go with the sure bet on HA.

Rickdeni - When we priced the cruise I got prices for the Deluxe Oceanview, Balcony and minisuite. I couldn't convince my mom (we cruise together every year) to spring for the minisuite at that time. We debated between the balcony and deluxe OV and decided that we preferred the extra room in the cabin since this is a northern Europe cruise. It took me two months to convince her to spring for the mini and by then they were all booked. I keep checking on a daily basis to see if any open up and don't make it to the waitlist though. Either way, OV or minisuite we plan on going and having a great time as usual.

In September I booked for the 4th March 2006, Sea Princess Caribbean Spirit, sailing from Barbados. All that was available at the time of booking was E, JJ or GG guarenteed cabins. We booked the GG restricted view and requested an upgrade if one became available.

I kept watching the availability of cabins on the Princess site and I have now been able to upgrade to a BB cabin:) . My travel agent was supposed to inform me if a balcony became available - he didn't. I had to tell him about it! He did tell me that we could still be offered and upgrade.

My advice is to watch the Princess site for availability - do not rely on you TA.

One morning, saw a Caribe Deck balcony available. Emailed TA - she grabbed it and then gave Princess a hard time. No one knows WHY it didn't go into the waitlist pool....

You may have not been waitlisted in ALL the balcony catagories (BA, BB, BC, etc)... Be sure to tell your TA's to waitlist you in all of them (unless, of course, you only want a specific one).

Actually - yes, I was waitlisted for all catagories for anything over an Oceanview. She is a top notch TA that is always highly regarded on CC, so I have no doubt that she had it waitlisted right. The reason that I knew to keep watching on my own is because of other reports here.

Shutterlady - Princess.com now has this info available on their web site. Just pretend you are booking a cruise and you can see what categories are available as well as up to 6 cabins within that category. Many major online travel sites are also set up to do this. I usually check on Travelocity because it seems to be the easiest.

Archived