Simm cards in Adriatic

txclctr

Does anyone know how the Simm cards work in Italy and the Adriatic? The verizon international calling plan is ridiculously overpriced. I've been told just get a simm card at the airport and pop it in. That simple?

My husband and I have traveled extensively and have been on a long trip since February covering 6 counties so far so we are pretty familiar with managing our cellular needs abroad.

The easiest option for you if you have the time is to get GoogleFi since they will mail you the sim cards. The cost is $30 a month and it includes 1GB of data. Additional data is $10/GB. You can turn service on and off as needed so the $30/month doesn't keep billing.

The second option would be a local sim. Sometimes the options for plans are hard to navigate and an Italian sim will only work in other EU countries (not Croatia or Turkey for example.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use Verizon's international plan and think it's a great deal. For Europe, it's $10 day per device and uses your standard call and data allocation. You just have to enroll in advance at no cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Might want to check out international SIM cards like WorldSim. You would indeed need (roaming) coverage for the EU and non-EU parts as said above. Recently the EU is handled as one country as effect of EU rules so you should have the same rates within the whole Union.

The easiest option for you if you have the time is to get GoogleFi since they will mail you the sim cards. The cost is $30 a month and it includes 1GB of data. Additional data is $10/GB. You can turn service on and off as needed so the $30/month doesn't keep billing.

I, too, use Google Fi when traveling. It is my understanding that you need a Google phone from the 2016, 2015 line to activate it. The free (per account) data-only sims work in most phones.

If OP buys a sim outside of US, he should make sure it's set up at point of purchase. It's usually as simple as inserting the sim and powering up the device, but if it has issues, you want to get help right away.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I, too, use Google Fi when traveling. It is my understanding that you need a Google phone from the 2016, 2015 line to activate it. The free (per account) data-only sims work in most phones.

If OP buys a sim outside of US, he should make sure it's set up at point of purchase. It's usually as simple as inserting the sim and powering up the device, but if it has issues, you want to get help right away.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Oh interesting! My husband has a Pixel and he got us set up. I have an iPhone and the data sim works for me. I didn't realize you needed a google phone to activate it.

I use OneSimCard for most of my international travel, and depending on which one you get, it functions like a local sim card throughout your travels. It has a voip app that you can use when you have wifi or use their data.

The newer $10 plans work great for many people. No new phone number, etc. In the not too distant past, they rates were insane, but now are decent in most cases. Good part of the ATT $10 a plan is you only get hit with the $10 on the days you actually use it. With WIFI everywhere, we often do not use the cell plan.