When someone cannot cruise

This has been answered many times, but I never thought I would be the one asking and I don't know how to search for it. It looks like my son's friend (or any replacements) will not be able to cruise with us as planned. We did not use Early Saver and the boys have their own room. We cruise in 3 weeks.

What I know (I think)

• .We should not just remove the friend's name from without a replacement (due to single supplement)
  • We will get refunded the port taxes and prepaid gratuities if the friend does not cruise

Question: Do I tell them he won't be there when we check in at the port? Or, do we wait until they figure out he didn't show up. What is the best way?

Had this exact situation last year. No early saver, reason would not qualify for a refund under insurance and could not find a replacement to go. We simply told them at check-in that my son's friend (sharing a room with him) had a last minute emergency and would not be cruising. Port fees/taxes were refunded to my card. We do not prepay gratuities so I imagine those work the same way as port fees.

We had that happen on our last family cruise. 2 cabins 2 people in each. Youngest DS couldn't go due to school so he was a no show. Told them when we checked in at the port. I totally forgot there was supposed to be 4 of us. When she said "I guess the other one isn't coming?" Confused for a second, I was like "Oh yeah. It's just us 3." Not an issue. She took his S&S card and put it back in the envelope to hold on to and handed us ours. His taxes/port fees/prepaid gratuities were refunded to our card before we got back.