Airbnb instead of hotel

liddia

I'm think of using airbnb instead of a traditional hotel for our precruise stay next May. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've never used airbnb before so the idea has me a bit nervous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

before you commit to Airbnb in Barcelona i think they are not allowed there, i could be wrong but you should confirm before hand.

I think you may be thinking of Uber, which is banned there ;)

Whilst I haven't stayed in an Airbnb in Barcelona my son has done so on a couple of occasions and had really nice apartments.

We rented a flat in the Gothic district, off the Ramblas and near the Parliament building square, for a week pre-cruise through airbnb in Sept 2015. Great location, much less $ than a hotel. Totally renovated, modern two-bedroom. To snag this great location, we booked nearly a year in advance.

No problem with airbnb and communicated with the host several times through the website with questions. Pay attention to the reviews for the host. Realizing that reviews can be fake, if there are many good reviews, chances are that they are legitimate. We avoided newly listed properties without a track record. We knew in advance that it was a third-floor walk-up with no elevator. Lol, DH didn't take his tux on that cruise!

Just used two airbnb rooms in Barcelona (June 17 and 26). Nuri and Ramon were the hosts, both places close to Parallel and La Rambla. Great experiences and wonderful hosts. Can answer questions if you want more information. Cheers! Roehl

Just used two airbnb rooms in Barcelona (June 17 and 26). Nuri and Ramon were the hosts, both places close to Parallel and La Rambla. Great experiences and wonderful hosts. Can answer questions if you want more information. Cheers! Roehl

I've read articles about some people booking an Airbnb and then having it be cancelled last minute. Did you do anything in particular to avoid this?

We've never traveled to Europe before so I'm nervous about being so far out of our element and then also trying something new like an Airbnb.

I don't know if it allowed here, but can you post a link to the place you rented?

Thanks!

I've read articles about some people booking an Airbnb and then having it be cancelled last minute. Did you do anything in particular to avoid this?

We've never traveled to Europe before so I'm nervous about being so far out of our element and then also trying something new like an Airbnb.

I don't know if it allowed here, but can you post a link to the place you rented?

Thanks!

I used Airbnb because a lot of my airline friends use them all over the world, so have not read any negative articles. I do know there are some negative experiences, but only with "new" (quotations because new has different meanings for everyone) listings. Regarding reducing risk of a cancellation, I think the poster "Adventures ahead" had excellent suggestions and add the following ideas or specifics that my friends and I have used (not necessarily to reduce risk, but to make sure we pick the right room/place for our needs): the number of reviews is important (yes, more is generally better), but if the reviewers mention the host by name that is a very positive sign; keep the host informed regarding any change in your arrival or departure; personalizing/engaging communication by asking for advice on the best way to get to the place as well as recommendations for the first dinner or skip the line tickets you should get online; check the availability of the place surrounding your dates, if back to back bookings make sure you negotiate or ensure an appropriate check in time or at least be able to drop of your luggage (if flight in or disembarkation is earlier than set time); check Google Maps and see what is around the area (maybe even the satellite imagery to get a visual of area); and use a taxi rate calculator to budget transport. On a personal note, what I will make sure of in the future is having a Roaming package that has data on my phone so I can ensure that the cab I am in is taking me to the right place. We got into Barcelona after 10:30 pm and did not have a good experience with getting to our building. Just realized I have written a rambling post, so apologize if I bored you, still recovering from jet lag and must have a cluttered brain lol.

Cheers! Roehl

PS: Here are the links that I have for the Barcelona rooms. Don't know if they will work, so added the headings. Note that the first one has over 330 reviews and is very hard to get. Unbelievable value and one of the few times I have found where the axiom "if its too good to be true, then its a fraud" does not apply. The second one only has six reviews. And I admit to going against the grain of avoiding new listings, but the location was too tempting to pass up. Stayed in both, so if you have questions about them, I will be happy to answer.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/763176

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/18439787

VERY CENTRIC, PERFECT FOR TOURISTS

Prívate room. Perfect location

My apologies if you already know this, but note that Airbnbs will likely not have plug in adapters, so bring your own. Some of the more experienced hosts will have them for rent for a small fee, but having your own makes sure you do not have to scramble to buy one.

Cheers! Roehl

... or else simply buy one here in any of the literally dozens of "ferreteries" (hardware stores) in any area of the city, or also in any dollar shop, they're inexpensive. Afterwards, you can just leave it behind. Why carry extra stuff in your otherwise already full suitcase??

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the advice! I've narrowed it down to one Airbnb and one hotel. The cost is about the same and right now, I'm leaning Airbnb. The location is great and the neighborhood looks nice.

• 1 month later...
Thank you so much for the advice! I've narrowed it down to one Airbnb and one hotel. The cost is about the same and right now, I'm leaning Airbnb. The location is great and the neighborhood looks nice.

Hi Liddia - how was your airbnb stay & can you recommend this place? Can you post the link to them? Thanks!

The closest hotels to our location were much more expensive than the apartment.

We stayed for a full week so appreciated the extra space - a second bedroom (for our luggage, lol), comfortable living room and full kitchen for snacks and drinks. Aside from no elevator, we may only have missed that there was no 24-hour reception desk. On the other hand, we had great wifi, so could get answers to any questions we had. We'd also done a lot of research in advance. The location was key so the apartment also saved us money on transportation. Our host was Emrah and I no longer have the link.

The closest hotels to our location were much more expensive than the apartment.

We stayed for a full week so appreciated the extra space - a second bedroom (for our luggage, lol), comfortable living room and full kitchen for snacks and drinks. Aside from no elevator, we may only have missed that there was no 24-hour reception desk. On the other hand, we had great wifi, so could get answers to any questions we had. We'd also done a lot of research in advance. The location was key so the apartment also saved us money on transportation. Our host was Emrah and I no longer have the link.

Thank you!

We have stayed in air b&b twice now in Barcelona. The first time we stayed in the Revel Area had a great 3 bedroom 2 bath Apt. Loved it. Last year we stayed in the Gothic area. Loved our Apt 2 bedrooms 2 baths we were right of St Jume square. Stunning apt. Only complaint I had about this one is I'm a light sleeper and those oh so charming church bells are not so charming at 3 am. lol.

Hi Liddia - how was your airbnb stay & can you recommend this place? Can you post the link to them? Thanks!

I don't have the link, but our hosts are Sha and Lydia. They were quick to respond, have great reviews, and sent us links to area attractions as soon as we booked. Oh and they're letting us check in early!

• 2 weeks later...

I too have rented an Airbnb apartment for our October trip. Will give you my thoughts when we arrive home.

We are three couples traveling together and found a 3BR/3Bath apartment at central location. So far, great contact through emails with hosts.

I don't have the link, but our hosts are Sha and Lydia. They were quick to respond, have great reviews, and sent us links to area attractions as soon as we booked. Oh and they're letting us check in early!

Hi which apartment are you staying in as Sha and Lydia have two? We are staying in the 2 bedroom apartment in Poble Nou for 3 nights in 2 weeks time. It looks lovely. Unfortunately we can't check in early as they have someone leaving that day, but we can leave our luggage. Will report back on it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums