IDEAS needed for surprise cruise

Background story - In March of this year I decided that for next year I would take my nephew (12) and niece (8) on a cruise for spring break with their FAVORITE/only aunt. I had not told them about this yet because I was thinking I may use it as part of their Christmas or birthday gift. I booked the Valor out of Galveston.

The end of May 2017, their father passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. His remains were cremated and it was his wish that they be spread off the shore of Galveston. Since I had already planned the cruise out of Galveston I added my sister to the booking thinking we could arrange to spread his cremains the day or two before our cruise or maybe even on the cruise. I'm still not sure how that will work out but she is not at a point where she is ready to really plan that part out or decide for sure if she will follow his wishes and spread the cremains (Please no judgement).

Here is where I need ideas - My sister suggested that I do a scavenger hunt to tell the kids they are going on a cruise. I've looked online and mostly I'm finding ideas for Disney cruises but they seem specific to Disney. Any of you creative folks have ideas for a scavenger hunt or other way to surprise them. I could probably wait until the week before we left to tell them but my sister seems more eager and would like me to tell them soon. I'd also like to incorporate in something about their dad too. They both obsessively watch YouTube videos, don't worry they also play outside a lot, so I thought a video would be cool too but no clue how to even go about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

that sounds awesome. Can you get a puzzle of the ship and have the kid make it? It's my husbands and my wishes to have our ashes spread at sea as well. Carnival will help make the arrangements if that is what she wants to do. Reach out to John Heald on Facebook and they can assist you.

A scavenger hunt would be fun! Have a bunch of clues that lead them place to place. At each location they get a couple puzzle pieces and the next clue. At the final location they can put together the puzzle and maybe they get a gift with stuff for the cruise. Stuff like sunscreen, flip flops, beach ball.

You could make each clue in the form of a video since you want to incorporate that too.

Another alternative, would be to set up clues in the form of "facts" about the places they are going to visit. They will need to Google/research what places all of those facts are true for. As they guess each place you can mark it on a map and eventually draw out the ships itinerary.

I'd tell them a couple weeks out. Maybe let them choose an excursion they really want to go on so that they have a part in the planning. Particularly for the older one, since they might have friends they like to make plans with, better not to force them to drop everything for a cruise.

Have Fun!

This is an older review (from 2012) that I remember reading that might help with some ideas. This started out as a "surprise" family cruise and she includes details and pictures, all on the first page of the review, on how they surprised their kids. I really thought it was classic and a great way to surprise them. I don't have kids, but like you, I AM an aunt. :) I saw your question posted and I thought of this review immediately. I had to search a bit for it, but found it and attaching link...I hope she doesn't mind.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1699306

Edited by pghsteelerfan

that sounds awesome. Can you get a puzzle of the ship and have the kid make it? It's my husbands and my wishes to have our ashes spread at sea as well. Carnival will help make the arrangements if that is what she wants to do. Reach out to John Heald on Facebook and they can assist you.

I have told my daughters the same thing - That they have to save our ashes and then do it together on a cruise ship -- I do joke about them taking a big wooden spoon and mixing our ashes up together but of course I would never make them do that

First off, I am so sorry your sister's loss. When we went to Disney World for the first time a couple years ago, we surprised our kids with a scavenger hunt. They LOVED it. We just did some simple clues. One clue led them to their bathroom, where there was a little toy boat floating in their bathtub with the next clue on it. Something like that would be great to go along with the cruise theme. Our clues were Disney themed, yours could be ship/beach themed. A beach ball, a sand bucket, etc. For the final clue, they were led to the car, where they each had a new suitcase waiting with new swimwear, beach toys, new beach towels, Mickey ears, etc and a sign telling them we were going to Disney World AND the beach! One of my favorite memories. :)Good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful cruise. (By the way, I'm guessing by your name that you're a fellow Okie? :):))