MSC Newbie

cw2go

Hello to all,

We are mid fifties, from the states, seasoned cruisers with Celebrity & RCCL I'm now researching for European Cruise options. (Gaining all the info I can for May 2019) We have previously sailed and land vacationed Europe but are hoping to gain another experience with different ports and cruise line.

Can you give me some perspectives on any differences/experiences? Specialty dining venues and how to book those? Do they have set dining times like traditional lines or freestyle like NCL? Is the dress attire typical of all other lines? Formal nights? When does MSC typically release sailings? Do they price match if a lower price or special is listed prior to sail date?

I've looked over their website and it's a tad confusing and keeps bogging down on me. Not that this is anything new to me, RCCL and X are just as bad! ;)

I want to do a r/t sailing from Rome and when I do mock bookings I can't get much info. I keep getting an invalid entry drop box. The one sailing I have created is for 2018 but has me concerned that I'm missing something... $1940 for a mid-ship balcony stateroom on Fantasia, seems too good to be true? That's over 1k less than the other lines while comparing apples to apples? Are there resort fees or taxes only paid once onboard?

Very excited for your input, super bunches of Thanks!

Patty

Hello to all,

We are mid fifties, from the states, seasoned cruisers with Celebrity & RCCL I'm now researching for European Cruise options. (Gaining all the info I can for May 2019) We have previously sailed and land vacationed Europe but are hoping to gain another experience with different ports and cruise line.

Hello!

Can you give me some perspectives on any differences/experiences? Specialty dining venues and how to book those? Do they have set dining times like traditional lines or freestyle like NCL? Is the dress attire typical of all other lines? Formal nights? When does MSC typically release sailings? Do they price match if a lower price or special is listed prior to sail date?

I don't think they've released for May 2019 yet. Yes on the price match but I've never put it to the test - i.e. match or rebook. Yes to set dining - exception is Yacht Club, typical attire and formal nights. We book the YC sailing Caribbean because we stay on the ship more. I think if we ever sailed Med we would have standard balcony since we would not be using most of the YC services. I can't speak to other experiences but I THINK I would select experience based on the cabin I would like to have and then pay for any of the other perks that might be offered - drinks, meals, etc.

I've looked over their website and it's a tad confusing and keeps bogging down on me. Not that this is anything new to me, RCCL and X are just as bad! ;) Good many threads on how MSC may be the worst website but the ship experience is great. I can't open MSCUSA site in chrome but can in internet explorer.

I want to do a r/t sailing from Rome and when I do mock bookings I can't get much info. I keep getting an invalid entry drop box. The one sailing I have created is for 2018 but has me concerned that I'm missing something... $1940 for a mid-ship balcony stateroom on Fantasia, seems too good to be true? That's over 1k less than the other lines while comparing apples to apples? Are there resort fees or taxes only paid once onboard?

Great prices on MSC is typical right now! They will also match your status with other cruise lines which if nothing else is worth a 5% discount and some onboard credit. They do not have the extra charges that lines like NCL are adding for their "freebies".

L

Very excited for your input, super bunches of Thanks!

Patty

Have fun checking out MSC!