How Safe is Montego Bay, Jamaica-Some posts worry me

b8tzm

I know you can have problems anywhere but I read on some threads of desparate hungry people. Are you safe walking the main shopping areas and tourist attractions or are you better off getting with a large group of people/tours:)

When we were in Montego, we were on a tour (booked through a local provider, not through the ship). My husband was offered drugs twice outside the door of Doctor's Cave Beach, once inside Doctor's Cave Beach near the dock, and once upon returning back to the terminal (while we were "outside the gates" and not yet within the cruise terminal).

Aside from having to say, "No, mon" and just move along, we didn't have any other problems. But we were with a group and didn't go to any tourist markets or anything like that outside of the cruise terminal.

In Jamaica, especially Mo bay, I would take a ship sponsored excursion. If you really want to go shopping there is a shopping village about a 6 block walk from the pier but be prepared to be stopped several times on your way there. I would not take large quantities of cash with me any where.

The falls are worth it if you have never been and one time we did a snorkel excursion that dropped us off at Margaritaville where we could stay and et and drink and swim and then take a taxi back at our own expense and it worked out okay. Don't remember if that stop was Montego Bay or another port in Jamaica though.

While the constant selling (both legal and illegal) is certainly annoying, you are just as safe there as anywhere else.

Just use travelling common sense - don't go anywhere alone, stay away from out of the way places, don't flash large wads of cash etc.

I agree, use common sense. Everytime I have been there, it has been at a resort. We have ventured out of the resort, but were much more comfortable in the plush surroundings :D There will be people that approach you, just say no thank you. Don't let any of them get to close to you, and don't take anything from them (if they tell you to take a look at this, etc), once it's in your hands, you have bought it as far as they are concerned. Just don't venture off the beaten path, and you'll be fine.

You are probably safer in MoBay at midnight, than in Detroit in broad daylight.

Doesn't mean that I'd consider getting off the ship though.

I wouldn't consider getting off the ship in Detroit, either.;)

If I ever go back to Jamaica, which I only would if it was part of a cruise, I'd only go to the resort areas. IMO, I go on vacation to relax & have a good time, not to be hassled at every shop door..."need a taxi?"... We finally picked one guy to be our 'driver', and he actually shooed the rest of them away so we could walk from shop to shop in peace. That being said, there were some great deals on jewelry there:p

When we went to Ocho Rios there were armed military lined all around the cruise terminal. Most carried semi-automatic rifles - were there to protect the cruise passengers! Will never go there again.:eek:

Then don't go to Costa Maya, and Cozumel :D Costa Maya has snipers, LOL.. on the rooftops in the main shopping area, as well as military with rifles around the area... same with Cozumel, and we got to know them a little too well :o

Then don't go to Costa Maya, and Cozumel :D Costa Maya has snipers, LOL.. on the rooftops in the main shopping area, as well as military with rifles around the area... same with Cozumel, and we got to know them a little too well :o

I think every airport I've ever landed in outside the US has armed military. Maybe not in Bermuda and Aruba but definitely everywhere else.

Yes, someone will offer to sell you pot but firmly decline. Just ignore them as best you can.

While Montego Bay is probably the least desirable part of Jamaica from an aesthetic standpoint, it is still Jamaica mon.

We were in Costa Maya in Nov 2001 on the Grand Princess. We were eating breakfast by the window and noticed a small motorboat heading right for the ship at a really fast speed. Since it was only a couple of months after 9/11, we were a little nervous. All of a sudden a helicopter appeared out of nowhere and flew right at the boat and steered it away from the ship. We never found out what was going on, but we were grateful that they were watching. We saw a few armed guards on shore, but I think they were trying to be inconspicuous.

It was also a little disconcerting to see uniformed armed guards in our own airports at that time, but we did feel safer.

One of the reasons I enjoy making reservations for private tours (with other cruise passengers) is the safety and reliability they have provided for a great value, too. I have met the owners, talked at length with the drivers and their families, seen some beautiful spots and learned a lot more than on a Motor coach or in a small taxi.

I have only stayed on ship in one port: Isle of Margarita = Venezula. When touring Carachis, VZ we encountered a shoot out and more armed security than at Camp David!. Same goes for Playa del Carmen, Belize, Panama City, Limon and I am sure many other tourist destinations. I am glad we went, saw and enjoyed all of these ports on tours.

Bon Voyage

We went to Sunset Beach resort and had a blast. Its about a 5 min cab ride from the boat, and its the best value that you will find on the island. (20 bucks pp per day) Meals and drinks incuded.

tony & jackie We are going to mobay in jan,was wondering if you could tell me, what all to do at sunset beach resort Also is the food and drinks good.Was it nice and clean Thanks for any info you can pass on. Bill

When we went to Ocho Rios there were armed military lined all around the cruise terminal. Most carried semi-automatic rifles - were there to protect the cruise passengers! Will never go there again.:eek:

If it's because of the weapons, you won't be going to Cozumel either. Security there carries fully automatic weapons.

-Monte

I would recommend a shopping excursion, if you want to shop,

we did one on carnival conquest and it was awesome, shopping and highlights tour,, it was only like 30 $ per person i think, it was so worth it we went to the craft market, the rum jungle, got free rum, live entertainment, slot machines, !!!! and then to the city center shopping area, and we drove around by the big houses, it was nice and at least we were in a group and they tell you where to not go, its safer this way I think,

we were there 1 week after hurricane Ivan and the people were desperate,,

be careful and have fun, like someone else said, just say " no thanks mon"

when offered drugs.. they love to offer all over,,,

happy cruising ,

melissa

f36d.jpg?phoDTmDBHUDB73gD

tony & jackie We are going to mobay in jan,was wondering if you could tell me, what all to do at sunset beach resort Also is the food and drinks good.Was it nice and clean Thanks for any info you can pass on. Bill

Bill- Just spent the day @ Sunset Beach Club on December 2nd. First of all the price has been raised to $40.00/pp. Cash or Plastic. But I thought well worth it. It's only a 5 minute-$5.00 taxi ride from port. You will actually see the resort while docked and can see your ship from resort. Food was good (all you can eat) and drinks were good too (all you can drink). As far as activities-1)Water Park with slide and lazy river, 2) snorkeling including gear, 3) kayaks, 4) Beach and Pool volleyball, 5) Putt Putt Golf, 6) Ping Pong, 7) Pool Table, 8) Basketball 9) Tennis Courts. May be more that's just what I saw. Also 3 beaches and a swim up bar in the main pool.

Note they will ask to hold your sail & sign card until you leave.They do offer towels for free as well. Bars open @ 10:00 am. I would recommend this place for anyone looking to stay away from the local element.. Safe, clean, fun environment. Kevin.

Archived