First timer, going with kids, SO many questions!

ccastano

Hi everyone...I'm so glad this site / forum is here! I have been doing alot of research. We haven't actually booked our cruise yet, but I believe I've narrowed it down to the January 23 Royal Caribbean Western Caribbean Cruise.

First, is it normal to book a cruise so close to the present (only two months out). I have ony found a few in our price range that fit our criteria, and I'm an overly organized person who isn't too worried about the planning / packing. My only concern about time is we do not yet have passports, but do have birth certificates. I was thinking about trying to do the rush passports, I really am not comfortable going without.

This trip is our big family christmas gift. We've never been able until this year to take our kids on a nice family vacation. We have a girl, 6, boy 11. The biggest thing they've ever done is a weekend to Chicago last year.

So, now with the questions! The ship I'm looking at is Grandeur of the Seas, any yea's or neah's as to if this is good for a family cruise? Partly this one was due to that we could get a larger cabin for the cost. I'm concerned about space with four people on a 5 - 6 night cruise.

Also, is length ever a concern? Is longer really better with kids, or does the whole thing wear out after a certain amount of time?

The whole balcony thing concerns me. My children will not be left unsupervised at any time, and neither of them is a daredevil (my son is a little afraid of heights) but are there any special concerns to a balcony? It just makes me feel slightly insecure (maybe that's because I'm afraid of heights too!) although I think the view would be amazing, and it's not like we have a choice, the size cabin I want since were a family always seems to come with the balcony.

What kind of things do I need to be wary of with shore excursions? I've already considered tailoring it to the age, interests / fears etc. The stingray excursion on Grand Caymen is a real biggie on my list, I know both my kids would love it, however the other's I've seen like the dolphin encounter would not be suitable. Also we want to see some ruins but I already know that will most likely not occur due to the length and difficulty of most of those trips.

Finally, is it best to go with a travel agent (I've usually always booked my own vacations, I'm very DIY) go through the cruise website, or one of the big travel websites (expedia etc.). I myself am a fairly experienced traveler. The one thing I did hear that I was concerned about was the flights. I do not want a layover, and I can easily book my own flight. My plan for avoiding 'missing the boat' was to arrive a day ahead, and have a one day fun day in whatever port we leave from, I believe Fort Lauderdale. While yes we have to schlep from a hotel, etc, I am concerned about what kind of flights the cruise lines add if you go through them, second rates with stopovers, etc?

Now that I've thrown out an idea of what we are trying to do...any and ALL suggestions are welcome! This will be something for all of us to do that will mean going places and doing things we've never done before, and I know we'll have a blast, so hopefully with enough forethought we won't encounter something that could ruin it that we could have avoided.

TIA!

Caprice Castano

Hi ccastano,

I will try to give you as much info as I can.. Ok here goes I think first you should be able to book the air by yourself we always have . I have always gone with the cruise company not a travel agent unless you get a better deal or perks.. We did the sting ray ex(grand caymen) and had a blast although we didnt have our children on that cruise I know they would have loved it.. We had also done the dolphin swim (cozumel) so when we went to PV and the children were with us we made sure they did it there they loved it....

I dont think you will HAVE to have passports by Jan I think that has been post poned untill Dec 06 but if you want to try to get them rushed by all means.. Ihave heard passports are alot easier. Weve always used B/C.

I am not farmiliar with the cruise ship you are takling about but im sure its nice.. I know that 7 days was perfect when we took our kids. Not too long not too short anything less might have gone by too fast.

We had a balcony rm and there were 4 of us . My husband ,self ,3 yr old ,and11 yr old. My older boys stayed w gma n gpa. I to was very worried about the balcony asked tons of questions because our baby was only 3.. It was wonderful no problems at all she knew to stay away and the door was pretty heavy so she couldnt open it by herself.. Get the balcony well worth it...

also I know the ruins are supposed to be beautiful You should check around I know my dad and friends of our did the one in costa maya mind you he was 80 at the time and has since passed but he was able (with the help of our friends) to go and see these.. You should ask around your kids might just be able to do this. We did the cave tubing in Belieze wonderful!!! The kids could do this as well..Its a little hiking and then into tube n float down the calm river through beautiful caves. So much fun..

I think that ive answered most of your questions maybe youll get more replys but just do it have fun and enjoy...Take care Shelly

Length wise don't go with a cruise longer then 7 days, longer then that and you get an older crowd and activities less interesting for families.

Balcony should be nothing to worry about. As long as your kids are not daredevils who want to sit or stand on the railing they are going to be fine. Balconies are fantastic you will be very happy you chose one and everyone will appriciate being to go outside and look out at the ocean from the privacy of their cabin.

Space wise its good that you did your best to find the most space. Regardless it will be cramped when you have that many people in a small area, but you don't notice it too much cause your only in your room to change clothes and sleep.

Not sure how your kids are as far as preffering to stay with the parents or wanting to play with other children. If I were a guessing man I would say that you should see if you can pick out and befriend another couple with a male child in the age range of your son as your getting on or shortly after boarding the boat. This will help him to have a friend which at his age makes the experience a lot better. Or if he is not shy take him early to the kids activity for his age group so he can meet some other kids.

As for your daughter she may want to just stay around the parents the whole time or perhaps will suprise you and really enjoy the kids program which is supposed to be pretty good on that ship. Take her early as well to try it out. You want your kids in there at the first available opportunity to meet other kids and make friends before the clicks form.

As far as ports are concerned look at the activities available ahead of time and make plans for things your kids will enjoy. They will love the anticipation of the exciting experiences awaiting them. And remember as long as your carefull timewise you don't have to book excursions through the boat, many times you can get the exact same experience for allot less money. Just make sure you get back on the boat in plenty of time.

Have a great trip

First, is it normal to book a cruise so close to the present (only two months out). I have ony found a few in our price range that fit our criteria, and I'm an overly organized person who isn't too worried about the planning / packing. My only concern about time is we do not yet have passports, but do have birth certificates. I was thinking about trying to do the rush passports, I really am not comfortable going without.

I've booked with less lead time - as you've already seen tho, getting 'a deal' will be hard. You have time for passports if you start immediately - but for this year birth c's are fine if they are "raised seal" .... the real deal.

This trip is our big family christmas gift. We've never been able until this year to take our kids on a nice family vacation. We have a girl, 6, boy 11. The biggest thing they've ever done is a weekend to Chicago last year.

So, now with the questions! The ship I'm looking at is Grandeur of the Seas, any yea's or neah's as to if this is good for a family cruise? Partly this one was due to that we could get a larger cabin for the cost. I'm concerned about space with four people on a 5 - 6 night cruise. 4....yes, you want space

Also, is length ever a concern? Is longer really better with kids, or does the whole thing wear out after a certain amount of time?

Some would opine that 7 days is a bit of a gamble for a first cruise. Better to start short in case you decide you hate it....but you won't find many here that hate it....

The whole balcony thing concerns me. My children will not be left unsupervised at any time, and neither of them is a daredevil (my son is a little afraid of heights) but are there any special concerns to a balcony? It just makes me feel slightly insecure (maybe that's because I'm afraid of heights too!) although I think the view would be amazing, and it's not like we have a choice, the size cabin I want since were a family always seems to come with the balcony. The balcony on the ship is no more dangerous that the balcony of a high rise in Chi-town....

What kind of things do I need to be wary of with shore excursions? I've already considered tailoring it to the age, interests / fears etc. The stingray excursion on Grand Caymen is a real biggie on my list, I know both my kids would love it, however the other's I've seen like the dolphin encounter would not be suitable. Also we want to see some ruins but I already know that will most likely not occur due to the length and difficulty of most of those trips. First cruise I'd guess means first visit to the ports. My suggestion is keep it simple - you could double the cost of your trip with excusions....then you'll stress about the money. A simple walk about town, a cab to the beach, a tour in a private taxi al lare fun and cost less & I recommend especially if it is your first time. (My dau really really really wanted to try snorkeling at about 6 and did it in our pool. Took her on a boat in the Keys and at first sight of a reasonably sized fish she proved that man CAN walk on water back to the boat. She's older now and wants SCUBA diving lessons for Christmas...but 6 may be a bit young for stingray city - again I expect plenty to disagree)

Finally, is it best to go with a travel agent (I've usually always booked my own vacations, I'm very DIY) go through the cruise website, or one of the big travel websites (expedia etc.). I myself am a fairly experienced traveler. The one thing I did hear that I was concerned about was the flights. I do not want a layover, and I can easily book my own flight. My plan for avoiding 'missing the boat' was to arrive a day ahead, and have a one day fun day in whatever port we leave from, I believe Fort Lauderdale. While yes we have to schlep from a hotel, etc, I am concerned about what kind of flights the cruise lines add if you go through them, second rates with stopovers, etc? You can always do better than the cruise line booking your own air. Experienced cruisers can also do as good or better than an average TA much of the time on a cruise. But you are not an experieced cruiser so the variable is how good is the TA? I used the same TA for years, and got some great deals. But will you do as well as a cold hit? Has someone given you a good recommendation? Sounds like you have done some research. Talk to a TA, if they beat your price in hand, go for it. Elsse, roll your own but you are running out of time.... Sorry no strong input on this one

no charge for the advice.....

I can contribute a couple of things. first I think a 5-6 day cruise is good. we started right off on our first cruise with a 7 day. regarding sting ray city, my dd's ages 9 and 12 at the time went on this excursion and one did not go in the water she was so scared of the rays and the other ended up hanging off the anchor line trying to get back on the boat.:eek: We did not realize how "comfortable" the rays would be with humans. first cruise, never knew about cruise critic before the cruise, how did we survive I ask you;)

First cruise I'd guess means first visit to the ports. My suggestion is keep it simple - you could double the cost of your trip with excusions....then you'll stress about the money. A simple walk about town, a cab to the beach, a tour in a private taxi al lare fun and cost less & I recommend especially if it is your first time. (My dau really really really wanted to try snorkeling at about 6 and did it in our pool. Took her on a boat in the Keys and at first sight of a reasonably sized fish she proved that man CAN walk on water back to the boat. She's older now and wants SCUBA diving lessons for Christmas...but 6 may be a bit young for stingray city - again I expect plenty to disagree)

That sounds like what I was thinking might happen to us. My daughter loves all things nature, until they come within a foot of her :eek: It might be something my son, the fish would love though, good to hear someone else's experiences.

As for the travel agent, so far I've always been my own best travel agent. I went through one for a Vegas trip last year because it was a group trip, and completely felt like I could have done better if I hadn't been stuck with the group plan. Thanks for the advice though, might not help checking up on myself with a TA if I can find someone to recommened a reputable one.

The board kind of shuns reccomendations of individual agents or agencys. But I would highly reccomend exploring all options even some that may not come to mind at first. For example I have had my best TA experiences with my automobile club believe it or not.

Archived