Hellp! Has anyone in the UK managed to buy Carnival shares?

Ebony J

We are trying to buy Carnival shares (we live n the UK ) but finding it difficult to get any advice or information. :') It seems to be complicated by the fact Carnival is an American company and are going round in circles . Has anyone had any success and if so, what were the timescales involved? Any help would be appreciated.

I had no problem. Carnival are quoted .on the UK stock exchange. Signed up with a dealer, in my case Hargreaves Lansdown, and bought 100 shares in ten minutes. Mind you they at £33 when purchased last year, now at £51.50 a share.

Carnival Corporation and Carnival plc operate as a dual-listed company. More information is on the Carnival Corporation website.

Since I am in the United States, I purchased Carnival Corporation (listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol CCL). Since you are in the United Kingdom, you would purchase Carnival plc (listed on the London Stock Exchange under the symbol CCL). The person you asked for advice was probably looking at the American stock instead of the British stock.

I had no problem. Carnival are quoted .on the UK stock exchange. Signed up with a dealer, in my case Hargreaves Lansdown, and bought 100 shares in ten minutes. Mind you they at £33 when purchased last year, now at £51.50 a share.

Exactly. Only thing I would add is that you should open an ISA with Hargreaves Lansdown rather than an ordinary Vantage account.

Reason: Although you are unlikely to have any tax liability on either dividend or capital gain, by having it in an ISA you don't EVER need to tell the tax man.

As I say, probably not an issue for you, certainly at the moment, but one day it could make all the difference between having or not having to go through the hassle of completing a self-assessment tax submission.

As you are not familiar with these things, I suggest that rather than register on line, you phone Hargreaves Lansdown and talk through what I have set out above.

They are very good. Tell them what you want to do and why you want to do it and will explain it all to you.

FWIW, we have two brokers - the other being Barclays Stockbrokers, (which we keep above a level in order to retain certain Premium Banking benefits with Barclays Bank) - but in your apparent circumstances, I would go for H-L.

I purchased via my bank's service (First Direct) about 3 years ago and it was easy. However, they now charge a small quarterly fee for holding this account so do check the cheapest way to hold your shares. In my case I have a portfolio of shares and so paying up is worth it to me.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the great advice. We finally seem to be getting somewhere...... now the stockbrokers are saying we dont get the share certificate but that they can email Princess confirmation for no charge. Does that sound par for the course?

Hi everyone! Thanks for the great advice. We finally seem to be getting somewhere...... now the stockbrokers are saying we dont get the share certificate but that they can email Princess confirmation for no charge. Does that sound par for the course?

Completely typical. Princess policy defines proof of ownership as "for example, photocopy of shareholder proxy card, shares certificate, a dividend tax voucher or a current brokerage or nominee statement with your brokerage account number blacked out."

Oh No! That is a terrible thing to say to a Scotsman :D I wont sleep tonight now haha! Seriously though...... is there ever a "good" time. We intended doing this almost 30 months ago ........ wish we had now! We now have some future cruises lined up and thought we might as well........:evilsmile: