Book the Ship, or Destination?

ccastano

I'm leaning towards the Western Caribbean mainly because of the destinations and some of the things we can do there. Now that I'm reading the boards, I see lots of people gravitate towards a ship and a 'general' destination. I was thinking Eastern Carib. might not be as exciting for kids ( the ruins, stingray swim on GC, etc were what I was really leaning to).

I do realize the ship can make or break the vacay...any ships to avoid? Do I place more emphasis on the ship or where we want to get too?

Thanks for any input.

Caprice Castano

Hopefully a new cruiser soon!

It's usually better to choose at least a type of ship first and then choose the destination. Why? Ports can frequently change, depending on when you are traveling. For example, Grand Cayman is a port that is frequently missed because it is too rough to tender (maybe about 1/3rd of the time). If you choose your cruise solely because it goes to Grand Cayman and then you don't go there, you may have put yourself up for a miserable time. But if you choose a ship that you would be happy with and then choose an itinerary, if you miss every port on your itinerary, you will still have a chance of being happy, unlike when you choose a cruise solely for the ports.

If you are really wanting Western Caribbean, then choose a Western itinerary. You'll still have a great time, but remember to choose a ship you would be happy with as well.

Your kids will have fun in either option. Eastern Caribean ports have all sorts of kid friendly activities. Take them on a submarine ride, snorkeling options always abound. Rent a jet ski and they can ride on back (or maybe even drive in front when no one is looking. Don't worry about ports, you spend so little time in the ports compared to on the boat you need to look at the ship as the destination.

If your primary concern is the kids age will be a determining factor for the ship you choose. Nowadays megaliners have rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, minature golf, pools with water slides, movie theaters, dinners that serve kid friendly menus with milkshakes etc...

If your kids are of the age that they will participate in the kids programs, get reccomondations as to which programs on which ships are best. If they are at an age they may explore on their own, then make sure to choose a big ship with lots of fun diversions.

There are allot of slightly more pricey cruises on mega liners that take off from Miami that should fit the bill. Less expensive cruises can see Western Caribean ports from alternate embarkation points such as Galveston however older smaller ships tend to be better suited to adults who want a more intimate cruising experience and may offer less options for families.

I can't see how you could go wrong choosing one of RCCL megaliners regardless of your ports of calls. Choose a big ship to make sure your kids have lots of activities, choose the ports of calls based on what you want to see (and you can always plan one activity for the kids in the middle to keep them from getting bored.)

Enjoy your cruise

I'm not sure what age your children are. Our children are now grown up but over the years we took them on many cruises with us, starting with the Caribbean. I would tell you that for most children the biggest attraction will be the ship and the on-board activities rather than the ports. Many of the lines have excellent programs fo rthe children that are very much like a day camp.

For children I would look at Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean.

As an adult, I do prefer the Western Caribbean over the Eastern Caribbean so if I was looking at both itineraries and found a ship that was good for the kids and the adults than all things being equal I'd go with the Western Caribbean.

Keith

I always choose a general area that I would like to cruise and then look for the best ships cruising through that area. After I have narrowed down area and a couple of ships that suit my needs, I then go with the one that has the best deal.

If you want to do the western itinerary, then do it! I love the western carribean ports, great diving/snorkeling. All the major cruise lines go there. A good one for you to investigate would be the Voyager class ships from RCI (oh yeah, and their new one, Freedom). They have ice rinks, rock climbing walls, kids pools, family pools and an adult pool, Johnny Rockets w/ singing wait staff, great kids programs, teen discos, etc.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the posts :)

I think we've decided on RCCL Voyager class, and from all of your helpful info I think I'm going to first book the best cabin I can afford on any one of those and go wherever in the caribbean it takes us! We've looked at all the ports and they all have something cool to offer. Besides, we've never cruised before, or been anywhere past Chicago (well my kids haven't) so anywhere and anything tropical on a huge amazing cruise liner will be cool no matter what we do. What would ruin it is a too small cabin and too many plans on ports that don't end up working out, so I'm going for the ship/cabin first.

Thanks again everyone!

Caprice

Thanks for all the posts :)

I think we've decided on RCCL Voyager class, and from all of your helpful info I think I'm going to first book the best cabin I can afford on any one of those and go wherever in the caribbean it takes us! We've looked at all the ports and they all have something cool to offer. Besides, we've never cruised before, or been anywhere past Chicago (well my kids haven't) so anywhere and anything tropical on a huge amazing cruise liner will be cool no matter what we do. What would ruin it is a too small cabin and too many plans on ports that don't end up working out, so I'm going for the ship/cabin first.

Thanks again everyone!

Caprice

We don't book the BEST cabin we can afford, but rather the least expensive that we will be comfortable in. That way we have more money to use for excursions and for NEXT year's cruise!

You will be surprised at how LITTLE time you spend in your cabin, but I do understand about space!

Have a marvelous cruise, no matter where, and with whom you decide to sail!

Archived