Any Hearing Impaired or Deaf Cruisers out there??

CruisnMom007

My husband has a Cochlear Implant (deaf in both ears). We cruise all the time. He mostly relies on me for the little things like hearing when he has it off (showers, swimming, etc.) he lost his hearing in his early 20s and we're in our mid-30s now. The biggest obstacles we've experienced across various cruise lines:

1) Inconsistent knowledge of what items are available for hearing impaired people. We request items on every cruise and only given them once.

2) He was kicked off an excursion when they saw him take off his C.I. they said that he needed to be wearing it the entire time (swim with dolphins). His is not waterproof.

3) No captions on the room TVs. annoying because even with his C.I. he misses stuff.

4) We always request a table for two so we don't have to have conversations with others at dinner. You would not believe how rude people are, even after knowing he is hearing impaired, when he mistakes something they say. Sadly.

5) People assume that because he's deaf he knows sign language. He does not, he grew up hearing. So it's challenging. Sometimes the cruise lines don't understand some deaf people dont use ASL.

BUT overall, we have a blast cruising. We are sailing on the Conquest 2 weeks from today so I'd be happy to report our experience upon our return.

I didn't read through all the replies. Am I correct that even though you lost hearing, you are able to speak?

Do you know sign language ?

I'm asking because my deaf son and deaf DIL are seasoned cruisers. All the cruise lines they have used have provider interpreters for them. Their stateroom is equipped with flashing lights and a TDD.

We are sailing again to Hawaii on the Splendor Oct. 13, 2018. The interpreters have been assigned.

My DS and DIL do not lip read and rely solely on sign language, so this may not be applicable to you.

Patti

Hi Patti

I do speak normal which can be an issue, when you hear me talk you wouldn't know I was hearing impaired. I've known people for a long time who had no clue I had hearing aids.

Even at 14 when I first wore them I would wear my hair up so people can see them and ask questions. I'm more than happy to educate people and hope if people see my young self wearing them they won't feel bad should they ever need them.

I think because I learned to speak before I lost my hearing I'm able to sound like I don't have a disability.

Although I cruise alone I have had roommates and the one time I was alone I don't recall using any services and with hotels as long as I let the hotel staff know about my hearing I don't worry much.

It would be helpful if some cruise ship cabins were equipped like hearing impaired hotel rooms..... don't think I've stayed in one but I know they exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums