QM2 Planetarium

starbug

you should note though that if the weather is rough (as it was on our crossing) then the planetarium shows get cancelled as they cannot lower the dome. we had shows on only 3 days.

Not sure that I understand "lowering the dome" How does this work, and why would weather affect it?

I guess I am used to land-based planetaria (Is that the plural of planetarium <G>) that just have a kind of opening for a telescope when so desired. The rest of it is pretty much constant... uh, I guess! Never climbed up on the roof of one, and to be honest, It's been a few years since I visited one!

the dome for the planetarium shows is lowered into place on those days it is being used. when it is rough, they won't lower it as there are fears that it will not go back into its housing again afterwards. Illuminations is used for films and other shows too and I guess that they don't want these to impacted.

hope this helps, I'm sure all will become clear when you get there. I confess that I forgot to look up to the ceiling to see where the dome disappeared to! just pray for good weather!

Roz

the dome for the planetarium shows is lowered into place on those days it is being used. when it is rough, they won't lower it as there are fears that it will not go back into its housing again afterwards. Illuminations is used for films and other shows too and I guess that they don't want these to impacted.

hope this helps, I'm sure all will become clear when you get there. I confess that I forgot to look up to the ceiling to see where the dome disappeared to! just pray for good weather!

Roz

Okay! Thanks, Roz, now it makes sense to me!

My advice is not to get too excited about the Planetarium shows. As I've said before , they are just mini-Imax presentations and have far less relevance to star-gazing than going out on deck and having a look for the real stars yourself.

In my view, Cunard have mislead potential passengers by promoting something that they never had any intention of delivering on, a real chance to look at the actual sky without the distraction of city lights, etc.

Still, if you just regard it as another entertainment option then you won't be too disappointed.

My advice is not to get too excited about the Planetarium shows. As I've said before , they are just mini-Imax presentations and have far less relevance to star-gazing than going out on deck and having a look for the real stars yourself.

In my view, Cunard have mislead potential passengers by promoting something that they never had any intention of delivering on, a real chance to look at the actual sky without the distraction of city lights, etc.

Still, if you just regard it as another entertainment option then you won't be too disappointed.

Well, I guess I shall have to drop a note to the chief navigator on board, explaining what her sister (or would that be cousin) cruise line Holland America did for us, including printed star charts for the date and time, It might get us a star-gazing class. It might get us a seat with the Navigator some evening at dinner!

Archived