Mexican vanilla

handwcruisers

We usually buy ours at the duty free store.

I am hesitant about buying it from a stand that the bottles are in the hot sun, and not really knowing their shelf life.

Or go to grocery store.

Enjoy

There is a store at the port called Los Cinco Soles ( I think it is spelled correctly) that sells the vanilla. It is an actual shop, not a stand that gets the sun. We purchased a 7 fl. oz bottle for about $14 or $15 USD and it does not have coumarin. hth.

We actually go to a local grocery store a couple blocks off the strip and by a large bottle for about $2.00. We bought a whole case 2 years ago and gave them out to family members. The grocery stores sell it much cheaper but they are not by the port.

We actually go to a local grocery store a couple blocks off the strip and by a large bottle for about $2.00. We bought a whole case 2 years ago and gave them out to family members. The grocery stores sell it much cheaper but they are not by the port.

Do you have the name of the grocery store that you bought the whole case. Would like to by that.

I don't remember the name. I know that we were at the shopping strip center square and it was up about 2 block from the center. You could probably ask any of the locals in that area and they can tell you.That's what we did.

Thanks

There is a store at the port called Los Cinco Soles ( I think it is spelled correctly) that sells the vanilla. It is an actual shop, not a stand that gets the sun. We purchased a 7 fl. oz bottle for about $14 or $15 USD and it does not have coumarin. hth.

Same here. Those of you finding it for $2, be sure to look at the ingredients.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The vanilla we purchased from Los Cinco Soles was horrible. Had such a flowery scent. I had to throw it out. We just purchased a mini 6 pack at the duty free shops you walk thru on the way back to the ship and that vanilla is delicious! It's vanilla concentrate. Its the best one I highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

We only buy our vanilla at Los Cinco Soles right there in the Puerta Maya port area. It doesn't contain coumarin, which most of the "cheap" Mexcian vanilla does. However, it's still not "pure" vanilla. Do yourself a favor and order some some vanilla beans from Amazon, get a bottle of vodka and make your own, truly pure vanilla.

This. I think that each port has a Los Cinco Soles. We load up with Vanilla every trip.

Definitely buy from Los Cinco Soles. They have a small store inside the Port area and a large store in downtown Cozumel. They have been around for years. I always buy my Vanilla there. And BTW, anything that you buy in all the stores in downtown Cozumel can be purchased at the downtown Los Cinco Soles. One stop shopping and comparable pricing to the other stores without the haggling and store employees following you around. A nice shopping experience for being in Cozumel.

A couple of years ago, I bought a large bottle of vanilla in Mexico. I packed it in my carry-on because I didn't want it to break in my checked bag (I thought it was glass plus I forgot about the "3 oz rule"). At the airport in the states, the TSA guy took it , told me it was a plastic bottle & threw it out. I won't make the same mistake in a few months when I return to Mexico.

• 4 months later...

Okay, so I've heard about Mexican vanilla and Jamaican vanilla - we bought some Mexican and love it. I did hear from someone in Cozumel that I should have bought some vanilla while in Jamaica because it's the best.

Your thoughts?