Some Helpful Advice on South West Trains To Southampton Based On Our Recent Trip

The information on this thread is very helpful. I will be traveling from Waterloo to Southampton on Saturday, September 2nd and have been checking the megabus site for train tickets. I was puzzled to see that the site is only selling tickets until August 4th. Does this mean that the discounted tickets will not be available after August 4th, as mentioned in this thread?

Also, I read about construction at Waterloo. Will that affect our ability to take the train to Southampton (other than congestion at Waterloo)?

I want to plan ahead, and if there will not be discount tickets, I will go ahead and purchase regular tickets in advance. Do I do this from South West trains? Are there any recommendations as to which departure will be best on a Saturday morning? If the slower trains have more room, that is fine with us.

Appreciate all of the first-hand knowledge shared here!

-Patti

Yes, no more Megatrain tickets to Southampton, as far as anyone knows (I haven't seen an official announcement, but it is a natural consequence of the franchise change).

There are Advance tickets available on 2nd September - there's a £21 fare on the 1035 and £24.20 on various others. These tickets have to be booked in advance and are only valid for the specific train. You will also see Off Peak (£40.40), which will be valid on any train that day, and Super Off Peak (£34.30), which appears to be valid on the 1105 onwards - these fares can be bought in advance or on the day.

The ticket booking engine on SouthWest trains or via National Rail Enquiries will show the cheapest ticket for each train.

The Waterloo works are due to finish the weekend before you travel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Yes, no more Megatrain tickets to Southampton, as far as anyone knows (I haven't seen an official announcement, but it is a natural consequence of the franchise change).

There are Advance tickets available on 2nd September - there's a £21 fare on the 1035 and £24.20 on various others. These tickets have to be booked in advance and are only valid for the specific train. You will also see Off Peak (£40.40), which will be valid on any train that day, and Super Off Peak (£34.30), which appears to be valid on the 1105 onwards - these fares can be bought in advance or on the day.

The ticket booking engine on SouthWest trains or via National Rail Enquiries will show the cheapest ticket for each train.

The Waterloo works are due to finish the weekend before you travel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are traveling with 4 or more adults, some of the off peak fares also qualify for a group discount of about 30%. Not all sites offer the discount, so shop around.