Recent/upcoming Elation cruisers -July 2017

momin05

A question for those who have sailed Elation this spring/summer. The checkin times have been changed such that the earliest is 1pm. When I signed up, I got 11, but have since been changed to 1pm with no notification. The Jax port website says the terminal opens at 10:30. So I am wondering if they really are delaying checkin until 1pm. What has been your experience? We are sailing on August 21 and trying to decide whether to drive down the day before. Concerned about eclipse traffic since we have to travel through the total eclipse path in SC. But if checkin is truly that late, I won't worry about getting there early.

Also, some sailings (including ours) show a 5pm sail time instead of the standard 4pm. Does anyone know what is behind this itinerary change? For a while they were doing pre dry dock cabin upgrades so I thought maybe they took extra time for that on embarkation day. But I hear they are not doing any more of that.

Thanks in advance!

The later check in times are because of the upcoming dry dock. They load and unload materials needed etc etc. We got an email and phone call the day before we left and told us to arrive after 1:30 to check in, instead of the 11:30 we had chosen. We had purchased the FTTF and were WAY to anxious to wait until 1:30 so we showed up at 11:45. The only reason we were allowed passed the parking security was because of the FTTF. Others were asked to come back closer to 1:30. Once we were dropped off, we were checked in and on the ship in like 20 minutes.

Our sail away in May went from the scheduled 4pm to a little after 5pm. Again, I think it has to do with moving materials around that will be needed for dry dock changes.

Enjoy!!!

Jax port is the worst. We were on the Elation in June. The Port is a small converted wharehouse. They are not supposed to let anyone in until the previous passengers have left but they do. We had 11:00 embarkation but no one was enforcing. We saw all times on boarding passes. we waited close to an hour to board. the cruise was great but debarkation was worse than embarkation. We had zone 9 and did not leave the ship until 9:30. They have to load the luggage on a truck then back up to the dock. A member of the staff said there was still 700 passengers still on the ship I hope this helps.

The later check in times are because of the upcoming dry dock. They load and unload materials needed etc etc. We got an email and phone call the day before we left and told us to arrive after 1:30 to check in, instead of the 11:30 we had chosen. We had purchased the FTTF and were WAY to anxious to wait until 1:30 so we showed up at 11:45. The only reason we were allowed passed the parking security was because of the FTTF. Others were asked to come back closer to 1:30. Once we were dropped off, we were checked in and on the ship in like 20 minutes.

Our sail away in May went from the scheduled 4pm to a little after 5pm. Again, I think it has to do with moving materials around that will be needed for dry dock changes.

Enjoy!!!

Thank you so much! You have been so helpful with your responses. We have sailed out of Jax several times and have loved it, choosing to drive the extra 2 hours beyond Charleston because the port is so easy and we have never waited in any line. But this makes me nervous, so I just bought FTTF! We are traveling with my parents who are in a suite and another couple who are platinum, so now we should all be priority! Here is hoping we get into the terminal at a more normal time of 11:30ish. Thanks again!

Jax port is the worst. We were on the Elation in June. The Port is a small converted wharehouse. They are not supposed to let anyone in until the previous passengers have left but they do. We had 11:00 embarkation but no one was enforcing. We saw all times on boarding passes. we waited close to an hour to board. the cruise was great but debarkation was worse than embarkation. We had zone 9 and did not leave the ship until 9:30. They have to load the luggage on a truck then back up to the dock. A member of the staff said there was still 700 passengers still on the ship I hope this helps.

Had the same experience, probably on the same cruise in June. Embarkation was significantly delayed from the advertised time, so the change is acknowledging reality. debarkation was even worse. We decided to carry our own luggage off because we were assigned zone 10. Turns out zone 10 was called before our deck (empress) for those carrying their own luggage. FTTF is worth it for debarkation if you are ready to get started driving back home once the ship docks.

Enjoy!!!

We sail in Oct (30) and our earliest board time is 1pm and this is after dry dock

We love Jaxport. Easy in easy out. Did the fascination 3 times and the elation once. Doing the Elation in Oct. after dry dock.

Doing the Elation Oct 2, right after dry dock. Can't wait!! It will be my 33rd cruise but I still get sooooo excited the closer it gets...❤️Me Some Cruising!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have to drive through SC on eclipse day, I would get there a day early and stay the night in Jax. We live on the cusp of totality and I can already tell you that the state is planning for traffic jams like you have never seen before. They are expecting thousands of people to be driving to the areas of totality and all schools are on 1/2 day and many businesses are going to be closed. I wouldn't risk driving down the day of on eclipse day, I would hate for you to miss your cruise do to crushing traffic jams.

If you have to drive through SC on eclipse day, I would get there a day early and stay the night in Jax. We live on the cusp of totality and I can already tell you that the state is planning for traffic jams like you have never seen before. They are expecting thousands of people to be driving to the areas of totality and all schools are on 1/2 day and many businesses are going to be closed. I wouldn't risk driving down the day of on eclipse day, I would hate for you to miss your cruise do to crushing traffic jams.

I went ahead and booked a room in Jax for the night before. I am from SC, right in the zone, and my family is still there so I am seeing all the hubbub about the eclipse. The problem is that we have family visiting and staying with us that weekend. But they are leaving Sunday so we will just get packed up and leave Sunday, too. It might be a nightmare on the roads, but we will just get there when we get there!

Thanks for the response!

We sail in Oct (30) and our earliest board time is 1pm and this is after dry dock

That is interesting that 1pm is the earliest board time even after dry dock. Very strange, whatever is going on in Jax.

That is interesting that 1pm is the earliest board time even after dry dock. Very strange, whatever is going on in Jax.

We live in Jax. I haven't checked the tide chart for the St. Johns River but I can tell you on very high tides even the Elation will have trouble getting under the Dames Point Bridge. With this upcoming eclipse and other moon thingies going on maybe the ship has to depart later on the low or outgoing tides. As every one knows the moon effects the tide.