New Disney Ships in the works?

Hojo's redbeard

Does anyone know if Disney has any plans for another ship? Their ships seem to be getting old in comparison to the offerings that CCL, RCCL, and NCL are rolling out. We are annual pass holders at WDW and go quite frequently, so I can't decide if all of the extra money on an older ship is going to be worth it.:confused:

There has been much speculation re a new ship or two for Disney - but little hard fact.

Allegedly, Disney is waiting for the US Dollar to be in a better postion vs. the Euro.

I'd love to see a Disney ship in Asia, for either Hong Kong or Tokyo Disneyworld.

I wouldn't consider the current Disney ships old - in ship years they are still young.

There have been many rumours about Disney contracting for a new shipbuild, but there's nothing in the works right now.

As for the Disney vessels, I don't consider them old at all.. they are some of the best maintained ships at sea. We're hoping to be back on the Magic again in a couple of years, and I have no concerns about the ship being "old". The theater has been revamped to be one of the most state of the art theaters at sea, and they recently expanded the kids club again, making it even more spectacular than before.

...that I can remember looking at photos of the Disney Magic under construction. It seems like just yesterday that I booked a cruise before the ship was even built hoping that I wasn't falling for some sort of Disney ponzi scheme.

Ah, but the ships, they're so old now...

The funny thing is that after being on several different cruiselines over the last couple of years and comparing them to the Disney cruise we took 3 or 4 years ago, I can see how Disney cherrypicked ideas from most of them (or in some cases maybe they picked a couple of ideas off of Disney)

I have been cruising since the early the early 80's, and I thought the Disney cruise experience was a "WOW".

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for the day they build a new ship- we'll be there!

DH and I have been on Disney Wonder twice this year and loved it. The ship was spotless, well maintained, and never showed age. We've mostly been on newer ships and the Wonder tops them all. Disney Wonder is our favorite ship so far.

ThreeCircles, yep we will be on the 11 day cruise, booked it as soon as they announced it. Price was competitive with other lines for the same length.

Since there has been a bunch of announcements from other lines about new-builds, hopefully we will hear something soon. I am predicting an order fro 2 ships with an option for a third. I can see having 3 ships in Port Canevaral and 1 on the West Coast. The 5th ship could be stationed out of Tampa.

I imagine the new ships would be larger and would take over the exiting normal runs that the Magic and Wonder do. The Magic or Wonder then could do the West Coast cruise with the other ship doing "speciality" cruises, like doing deep Southern cruises (like the two cruises coming up next year) In fact the two cruises may have been set up to test the waters so to speak. To mix it up they could also do partial canal tranists for part of the year.

• 3 weeks later...
ThreeCircles, yep we will be on the 11 day cruise, booked it as soon as they announced it. Price was competitive with other lines for the same length.

Since there has been a bunch of announcements from other lines about new-builds, hopefully we will hear something soon. I am predicting an order fro 2 ships with an option for a third. I can see having 3 ships in Port Canevaral and 1 on the West Coast. The 5th ship could be stationed out of Tampa.

I imagine the new ships would be larger and would take over the exiting normal runs that the Magic and Wonder do. The Magic or Wonder then could do the West Coast cruise with the other ship doing "speciality" cruises, like doing deep Southern cruises (like the two cruises coming up next year) In fact the two cruises may have been set up to test the waters so to speak. To mix it up they could also do partial canal tranists for part of the year.

We have a great group of 11-Nighters at http://www.ThreeCircles.net. Just some informational stuff on the cruisers (bios, pics, etc.) and other info. Join us sometime if you like!

When I left DCL in Nov 2004, there were several meetings that all of the crew were asked to attend. One of the meetings was a giant "Hurah" session and within that meeting they showed us a 3d render video of what the ship could look like. At that time, they indicated that the ship would be simply another ship based on the Magic/Wonder but with another deck added between deck's 9 & 10. This in theory would bring the tonnage upto the 90,000-plus category.

At that time they did indicate that it was ONLY a preview and nothing was set in stone. At the time the VP did state that once the US to Euro became more on a stable footing that they would enter into talks with one of three ship yards. (Alstom, Mayer-Werft and Italy's Finnancanerri who originally built the two previous ships)

Hope that helps.

Archived