Rome in a day trip info

Hello Cruisers! This is our first cruise, we're a family of 5 - 2 Adults 3 children (17,14,9). We're going on the Thomson's Tui discovery ship and doing the highlights of the Med cruise. We've booked the 'Rome in a day' trip and wanted to know if we'd have time to go inside the colosseum as I'm guessing that isn't part of the trip? IF anybody has done the trip with Thomson's or any of the other trips I would really appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks in advance

When we did a day walking tour of Rome it included a visit to the Colesseum but not the inside And unfortunately if you did go in the tour would have progressed somewhere else probably before you even bought the tickets and definitely by the time you got out

You do get some time there to take photos from up the hillside and hopefully the scaffolding will have been removed when you get there

I looked at the excursion and it doesn't actually state that you will 'visit' the Colosseum. If you particularly want to go there, you might be better off booking the 'Rome on your own' where they take you by coach and leave you for a few hours to walk round on your own. There are usually queues for the Colosseum but we bought our tickets at the Forum where there was no queue and the tickets cover both venues. Depending on how adventurous you are, you could take an early train into Rome and totally do your own thing. We did this and had a lovely day out but it's not for everyone.

i haven't been on the Thomson trip but usually a trip like yours would be them driving you there ( 1 hour) and then driving around looking at the main sites and you having small amount of time at sites( not enough time to go in). these tours are good for people who want a flavour of Rome. we did a similar one on P and O earlier this year as daughter and grandson were cruising with us and hadn't seen Rome. I wouldn't do it again, BUT our daughter would have been constantly worried about being so far from the ship and getting left behind so it worked for her.

I think the best thing would be to treat it like a coach trip with stops- and to be honest-it can be very hot in Rome so an air conditioned coach will probably be appreciated.

Have a great first cruise and don't feel you have to go on trips, the ship itself is great to explore.

I don't think that particular tour goes into the colosseum. We went on the Inside Piza and Rome tour which did.

One thing to note is that there is only one stop on the way there and if I told you that the queue for the ladies almost went back to the ship would not be an understatement.

If your kids don't mind go for the St Paul De Vince tour. Beautiful.

When were in Civitavecchia, there were several operators offering minibus/people carrier/taxi trips to Rome, with various combinations of sites to visit - that might be a better option to consider given that the size of your party would likely fill one vehicle.

Then you could probably negotiate where you want to stop off, and how long you want to visit that location - also probably cheaper than Thomsons excursion. I suspect these independent operators charge by the size of the vehicle/party rather than separate adult/child deals ?

You might (?) also avoid the customary drop in (on the homeward journey) at the coach tour guide's family pottery or leather goods business outlet - or am I being cynical again !!!

Worth a search via Google ?

We took the train, you can walk to the station from the ship,and saw the Colosseum, we got a guided tour from someone in an alley.....lol sounds dodgy but it was great, you do need a guide or you don't know what you are looking at. Just check the train times back to the ship and allow plenty of time.

Definitely get an earlier train than you think you need as any delay will result in you missing the boat which is why many people book the Thomson trips and WATCH your personal belongings lots of thieves on the trains