Driving to a FL port

tbmrt

Just curious.

In the past we drove to the port city in FL the day before embarkation day and used one of the Stay and Park your car at the hotel packages. Then took a shuttle or taxi to the port the next day.

For our last few cruises we drove to a hotel about 3/4 of the way to the cruiseport and drove the final 1.5 hours on embarkation day. Then parked at a less expensive and very convenient lot in Fort Lauderdale. This seems less stressful and the price was about the same as the Stay and Park your car charges. Due to the awful reputation that off-premise parking lots have in Miami, we park at the port. Worth the extra $ for peace of mind.

I know many Floridians who drive to the port on embarkation day, but I'm too nervous to do that. I'd worry about a possible accident, delays on the road and getting the the port later than I'd like, etc.

How do you handle driving to a FL port?

I agree with you. We live 4 hours north of Fl Lauderdale. We have always driven part w ay the day before and stayed overnight. Our usual spot is Boca Raton right off I 95. Then we are only 1/2 hour to the port. We usually use park n fly but this trip I will try park n go. They are considerably cheaper. Both are located just outside the port. No need to deal with the port traffic. And we once traveled with our travel agent and discovered he used this method also.

Safe travels.

Louise:cool:

I agree with you. We live 4 hours north of Fl Lauderdale. We have always driven part w ay the day before and stayed overnight. Our usual spot is Boca Raton right off I 95. Then we are only 1/2 hour to the port. We usually use park n fly but this trip I will try park n go. They are considerably cheaper. Both are located just outside the port. No need to deal with the port traffic. And we once traveled with our travel agent and discovered he used this method also.

Safe travels.

Louise:cool:

Park n Go is the best

We're 2 1/2 hours north of Port Everglades and 3 hours north of Miami straight up I-95. We're going down to Miami a couple days early this year, simply because I don't want to cook Thanksgiving dinner this year before we leave on black friday. That said, we almost always drive in the day of. We're always on the road by 730 or so at the latest. If we get to town quite early with no traffic issues we just stop somewhere and have lunch or a coffee before parking the car. I don't need to be first onboard, and this has always worked out for us.

In Port Everglades, we use Park 'n Go. We got a really good park and cruise rate in Miami this year so we're going that route otherwise we'd park at the port.