Times in NYC for getting on and off the ship

thenoflygal

I have a few questions about the Disney Cruise from NYC port regarding timing, and as this will be our first Disney Cruise I would appreciate any advice! I am trying to figure out if I can go into work on the day our cruise departs and/or on the day it gets back. The schedule says all aboard at 4:00 PM. What time do you start boarding the ship in NY? How long does this take? (We are getting dropped off by taxi). If I got there at 3:45 would that be good, or does check in take a long time?

Our ship also gets in on our return at 7:30 am. Can you get right off the ship, or is there staggered disembarkation? I am hoping to get in to work around 10:30 or 11, but I just have no experience with this line.

We have sailed out of NYC on the Magic twice.

You DO NOT want to get there at 3:45. You need to go through security and check in before you can board. That will take probably 30 to 40 minutes after you get into the terminal. I assume you live in NYC, so you know what traffic can be like to taxi to the port, so you will need time for that as well. Also, your cruise starts when you get on the ship. There is a lovely brunch buffet on embarkation day that you will not want to miss. You can tour the ship, go to the pool, check everything out and just start your vacation. (Embarkation day is my favorite and we try to get on the ship as soon as possible).

You could make it to work on the last day. They really want you off the ship no later than 9 am and you can do express walk off (have to take your bags with you) as soon as the ship clears customs. If you do not do express walk off, you can leave the ship as soon as you are done breakfast and pick up your luggage in the terminal. You will need to go through customs either way and that can slow things down if there is a line.

Check in doesn't take long, but arriving at 3:45 is very chancy. All aboard is at 4 and the scheduled departure time is 5. Boarding typically starts about 11:15. My suggestion--if you are spending all this money on the cruise, take at least the afternoon off on the embarkation day. Get to the ship and board about noon (regardless of your Port Arrival Time, you can typically board by 1), have lunch on board and start the vacation. There is no sense in rushing to meet the all aboard time and possibly being late! And you'd miss several hours of on board time if you arrive that late. And it would only take one accident on the road for you to literally miss the ship.

Disembarkation typically starts between 7 and 7:30 if you are doing self disembarkation. This means that you don't put your luggage out the night before; you take it off yourself in the morning. Yes, you can be off the ship by 7:30. You are required to be off the ship by 9. Don't know how long it would take to get the family home and for you to get to work, but that's a lot more do-able than embarkation day!

I have a few questions about the Disney Cruise from NYC port regarding timing, and as this will be our first Disney Cruise I would appreciate any advice! I am trying to figure out if I can go into work on the day our cruise departs and/or on the day it gets back. The schedule says all aboard at 4:00 PM. What time do you start boarding the ship in NY? How long does this take? (We are getting dropped off by taxi). If I got there at 3:45 would that be good, or does check in take a long time?

Our ship also gets in on our return at 7:30 am. Can you get right off the ship, or is there staggered disembarkation? I am hoping to get in to work around 10:30 or 11, but I just have no experience with this line.

I've sailed into New York twice on work days and have made it to work by 9:30am. Note, I do work on the west side, by the Lincoln Tunnel, so I'm not that far from the port to begin with. Best commute ever.

I agree with the previous posters that 3:45 is cutting it very close. I would give yourself some extra time.