What exactly is the procedure in Vancouver on embarkation day?

bizeemom4

We are on the Legend in September sailing to Hawaii. We have never sailed out of Vancouver before. We do have global entry cards which allow us to skip customs. With that in mind, and that we are platinum and in a suite, can someone tell me what the procedure is/will be and how long we could be tangled up?

As has been WIDELY reported, Global Entry/NEXUS is in fact used when boarding US-bound ships in Vancouver this season. There may not be permanent space for it, and you may have to identify yourself as a GE member (and you definitely want to take your physical card with you) but it will shorten your Immigration experience.

As to exactly what the order of events are - that's something that cannot be confirmed in advance since there's a very flexible layout and depending how many other ships are in port, you may have check-in as the very first stage (in which case your suite and status will get you preferential treatment and perhaps access to a lounge with snacks) or it may be the last stage, after you've done Security and Immigration.

The only Carnival Legend departure I can see in Sep is on Sep 12, and you're the only ship in port - which means regardless of the order they run things in it should be a pretty smooth day. I'd still avoid noon-1pm boarding, but if you went along early (10:30am) or late (2pm+) I'd guess at a half-hour or less before you got onboard.

Well, that is good news! Half an hour is much speedier than I anticipated. We will definitely pack the cards and be ready to use them when we start our embarkation process.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Regardless of whether it's check-in first or security-and-CBP first, when you approach the security queue, keep to the left and look for the crew/transit scanners. Have your GE cards ready. There's usually a Clipboard Dragon to let you in to that shorter queue. You'll exit to the outlet of the normal security screening, and then head for another queue where they separate into US/Canada and All Other. At that point, tell the Clipboard Dragon you have Global Entry and they'll send you to the "Crew/Interline" stations at the end of the row closest to security.

This cuts huge amounts of time, but the signage is really crap - last time I was through it was a total of 2 8.5x11 pieces of laminated color laser printout stuck to the ropes of the snake queues.

Regardless of whether it's check-in first or security-and-CBP first, when you approach the security queue, keep to the left and look for the crew/transit scanners. Have your GE cards ready. There's usually a Clipboard Dragon to let you in to that shorter queue. You'll exit to the outlet of the normal security screening, and then head for another queue where they separate into US/Canada and All Other. At that point, tell the Clipboard Dragon you have Global Entry and they'll send you to the "Crew/Interline" stations at the end of the row closest to security.

This cuts huge amounts of time, but the signage is really crap - last time I was through it was a total of 2 8.5x11 pieces of laminated color laser printout stuck to the ropes of the snake queues.

Clipboard dragons...that's awesome. I will be calling them that in my head from now on.:D

Can you please be more specific.

Are you asking about check in at the Port or are you asking about check in at the Vancouver Airport?

Keith

At the port. We will be flying into Vancouver but flying home from Honolulu.

At the port. We will be flying into Vancouver but flying home from Honolulu.

OK, the reason I asked is you are getting answers for both port and airport.

As to the port. This is what happens.

You will drop off your luggage.

You will go through security.

Then one of three things will happen even with Global Entry.

One is that you will go to the kiosk like everyone.

One is that you will go to specially designated kiosks for Global Entry.

One is that you will do neither and show your passport to USA immigration.

We have been there multiple times in the past year and have seen different procedures in terms of immigration and even on the same day we saw them change it up.

Now once you get through that you are in the hands of the cruise line. You will board based on the way the cruise line does it which in your case sounds like you will have some priority with the cruise line.

Keith

OK, the reason I asked is you are getting answers for both port and airport.

As to the port. This is what happens.

You will drop off your luggage.

You will go through security.

Then one of three things will happen even with Global Entry.

One is that you will go to the kiosk like everyone.

One is that you will go to specially designated kiosks for Global Entry.

One is that you will do neither and show your passport to USA immigration.

We have been there multiple times in the past year and have seen different procedures in terms of immigration and even on the same day we saw them change it up.

Now once you get through that you are in the hands of the cruise line. You will board based on the way the cruise line does it which in your case sounds like you will have some priority with the cruise line.

Keith

Actually Keith every answer above was specific to the port - and your answer did not cover the fact that it's not just possible but seems to now be the norm to do Cruise Check-in before Security on 3 ship days.

Airport OTOH always runs the same, with Global Entry no use for entering Canada as OP will be doing.

True, but this one is close enough to high cruise season that I'm betting it gets admissibility preclearance.

The new painted-on wayfinding signage indicates that cruise check-in first is the norm; I wonder if they'll cover it up on other days.