Britannia Disembarkation

Davey M

What time on average do you disembark from the Britannia at Southampton? I have requested Assistance with this. How do I know what time to request what time my Taxi should arrive to pick me up. I am first time Solo Cruiser.

Recently just been on Britannia as a solo traveller on mobility scooter, you'll need to check on the daily new sheet left in cabin, as they will announce for you to go to or ring reception to request a time to get off. Then the steward will leave a sheet in your cabin telling what time and where to go for disembarking. It was in the Limelight club for assistance when I was on there. They had started helping people off from 8am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What time on average do you disembark from the Britannia at Southampton? I have requested Assistance with this. How do I know what time to request what time my Taxi should arrive to pick me up. I am first time Solo Cruiser.

We disembarked Britannia last Saturday, using the assistance service. The flyer sent to the cabin a few days earlier said that we should assemble in the Limelight Club from 0915. We arrived there at around 0850 and were allocated a wheelchair pusher immediately and were off the ship and in possession of our luggage by 0900. Clearly anyone who had arrived before us was already off the ship. We had exactly the same experience on Britannia last year - arrived in the Limelight Club to be greeted by an army of pushers all waiting for passengers. It was excellent on both occasions and far better than the assisted disembarkation on Aurora in May where, dare I say it, there were a lot of seasoned P&O veterans who abused the service and used assistance when they clearly didn't warrant it, in order to gain some perceived advantage of getting off more quickly.

Thanks for that. Very re-assuring. I am looking forward to my first Cruise. I have been starting to get a bit nervous about managing on my own because I have disabilities but you have put my mind at rest as I believe assistance is very good when embarking as well.

Thanks for that. Very re-assuring. I am looking forward to my first Cruise. I have been starting to get a bit nervous about managing on my own because I have disabilities but you have put my mind at rest as I believe assistance is very good when embarking as well.

No problem. You needn't be in the slightest bit nervous. My wife is a wheelchair user and cruising is the only overseas holiday that she will entertain now, because it is so well geared up for disabled gets. P&O are superb at attending to the needs of disabled guests. Whether it be assisted embarkation / disembarkation or reserved seating for disabled passengers in the theatre, almost all needs are taken care off. Staff will always assist (unprompted) if they see you struggling. Being the newest ship in the fleet, Britannia is very well designed for those in wheelchairs, with all areas accessible and doors to public areas mostly automated and with easy to cross thresholds. You will have a fabulous time. I can't comment on solo cruising from a personal perspective, but would also say that cruising is one of the best holidays to do as a solo traveller. There are daily solo passenger coffee meets, a dedicated table for solo diners at afternoon tea to name but two things and, as with everything on a cruise, you can attend if you want to or avoid if you wish. The only compulsory thing is the safety drill before you leave Southampton! If I was on my own, I would still go on cruises without hesitation. The only thing that I might do differently is revert back to Club (fixed) dining, so that you only have that slightly awkward conversation when people ask why you are travelling alone once, on the first night. I might be wrong, but I believe that solo passengers are often grouped together in club dining. Alternatively, I would stick with Freedom dining and change my story every night, getting more and more imaginative as each day goes by - but perhaps that's just my appalling sense of humour! The only word of warning that I would give you is this - prepare to get hooked on cruising! It has to be good for so many of us to keep coming back for more. Have a fabulous cruise.

Thanks again for that. I have Freedom Dining. I do not use a wheelkchair other than embarking and disembarking because I have an inoperable torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder and as I am right handed I am unable to lift or pull or carry anything heavy. I also need assistance with reaching etc. I also have a tear in my left shoulder because of its overuse. My other mobility problems are regarding walking. I try to not let anything stop me from doing things and enjoying myself though even though in pain 24 hours a day. Sorry for my whinging. :)