Shopping in Freeport

steff613

In my opinion Port Lucaya Marketplace is nicer because it's newer. But both places contain jewelery stores, clothing stores, souvenir stores, etc. Port Lucaya is out across from the Our Lucaya resort complex and the beach, so it's more convenient to where you're liable to be. But you actually go by the International Bazaar on the way there from the port.

Since we don't hang out at the beach, our visits to Grand Bahama Island have usually been to take a taxi to Port Lucya and also visit the shops in the hotel complex, then take a jitney (local bus-$1) from Port Lucaya back to the Bazaar in Freeport and spend an hour or so there and then finally take a taxi back to the port.

BobK/Orlando

Here's an interesting tidbit, don't know if it's changed in a year and a half:

While on a Nassau Highlights tour, the guide told us that the Bahamian government approves a certain group of products that can be imported into the country. Anything not on their approved list is charged a 300% tax-hence the fact it becomes too expensive to provide a heck of a lot of selection when shopping in the Bahamas.

We literally walked down the main street in Nassau and saw the exact same thing at least 20 times-varying prices as well. We got smart after the 3rd shop-stopped buying things right away and made notes about where to get things cheaper. Not good for the merchants, I'm sorry! I love their rum cakes-saw it priced anywhere from $4.99-7.99.

To answer your question: we spent about 2 hours shopping in the International Bazaar last time, but are going to Port Lucaya in January. There was a lot of repeat products in the International Bazaar, but it was cute to see the different 'nations' represented there. There's also a small indoor 'mall' next to it as well.

I would love to hear what kind of stores are there when you return. I have an 18 yo who is hoping for some good shopping, in Nassau she found stores selling coach and LV bags so I'm hoping for something like that to give her her "shopping fix" on the first day and get it over with! So let me know what you see! Have a great cruise!

No problem-but you may have to remind me when I get back! I get PCD pretty bad, lol. There's a lot of people wanting info about Freeport, actually, and I wonder why more people don't post about it. After being there once, I'd prefer to do something 'new'-but to people who've never been there before being told there's 'nothing to do' doesn't build much anticipation, lol.

I can tell you in the Bazaar-I can't remember any brand name places, but I wasn't looking for any. :D There was a store where you could buy wood cravings, one full of glass/wood collectibles (WAY out of my price range), a lot of little souvenir stores, a lot of straw-weavers on the way in and a couple of convenience stores.

In my opinion, Lucaya marketplace is much nicer than the international. Also you can cross the street to the beach front of Our Lucaya hotel and there is a famous beach shack selling the best lunches and fresh conch.

Yes, you will be safe and I doubt very much you'll be hassled any more than any other place you two might choose to go.

If you're going to the beach, I'd recommend the beach behind the Our Lucaya Resort (Westin/Sheraton complex) so that you have safety in numbers (important anywhere) as well as facilities to take advantage of should you need to.

BobK/Orlando

next up: Costa Mediterranea (01/06)

Lucaya is a wonderful destination for shopping. Safety is always something to consider , especially for women traveling alone. Just use your common snese and don't be put into situations that can put your in jeopardy. Some folks leave their common sense at home while on vacation and can run into problems.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any liquor stores close to the port? We are planning on taking the Peterson Cay tour which leaves at 7:30am and I am afraid that we will not have time to get over to Lucaya before the ship leaves. We NEED to get a case of Kalik for the folks back home!

Can you take a case of Kalik home??

We have vacationed in Nassau before and were able to bring a case home. Not the easiest thing to do - lugging a case of beer through the airport - glass bottles no less! But it is allowed through customs as long as it is sealed.

Can you take a case of Kalik home??

We have vacationed in Nassau before and were able to bring a case home. Not the easiest thing to do - lugging a case of beer through the airport - glass bottles no less! But it is allowed through customs as long as it is sealed.

Archived