Girls cruise to Cozumel

scottlyn

I take it that the kids will be staying home. That will truly make it a vacation for you. :)

So, other than having small children, what else can you tell us about yourselves? It is hard to make good recommendations without knowing more about you and your interests. Anything I suggest will be generic in nature.

I know people will recommend Paradise Beach club, which is quite a fine place, but if you want to avoid children, it probably isn't the best choice for you.If Palm Beach is open by them, that would be a better choice. If you don't mind other families with kids there and want an active experience, PB is a good choice.

If you want a quiet, relaxed, uncrowded beach, Playa Palancar would be a good choice. They also offer a snorkel trip from there to Palancar reef, which probably has the best snorkeling post-wilma you will find on the island.

The east side beaches are beautiful and there are several restaurant/bars there for fun. Coconuts is known for good eating and the view is the best on the whole east side. Even if you don't stay, you should stop at Mezcalitos and take some photos of yourselves behind the "Naked Beach" sign. If you do it correctly, it would make a fine gift for by boys back home.

If your group is too big for a regular car taxi, you can get a van taxi. Split the cost among yourselves and it won't be too much. The taxi will be happy to wait for you if you go to the east side.

All the shopping is in town and my favorite, no haggle place to shop is Los Cinco Soles. It is 5 short blocks north of the ferry terminal and Plaza on the water front. They accept plastic with a smile. Prices are plainly marked. If you do want to bargain, shop else where and remember, the farther away from the waterfront and plaza, the lower the prices will be (in general) for good negotiators.

Hope this helps

Bruce

OK, now that I've thought about it, my first choice for you would be an East side tour by taxi, stopping at both Mezcalitos for drinks and photos and at Coconuts for more drinks, photos, and lunch. Second choice would be Playa Palancar for a snorkel trip followed by some drinks and fish tacos (Mmmm goood). After either trip, do some shopping and more drinking at a local bar in town before heading back to the ship to clean up for dinner.

Wow! Thanks! There are 6 of us, and we do like beaches and shopping! We are leaving the kids at home with our wonderful husbands!!! We each like to have a glass of wine or two (maybe 3 or 4 on a cruise) but not heavy drinkers.

The suggestions you made were just what we needed!!

Thanks!

Hey Bruce, thanks for all your help. About hos much do you think taxi fare would be to go to those two places you mentioned on the east side? And are they open?
They are both open. I'm not sure about the price for a taxi. I'd guess it would be about the same as renting a car for the day, about $65 to have the taxi and driver for the day to take you around on the island. If you plan on drinking, it would be worth it too. If you are interested in doing this, be sure to negotiate the trip price before you get in the taxi.

Thanks Bruce. We did a similar think when we were in Playa del Carmen and wanted to explore Akumal. Have you ever been there? Wow! Beautiful! We spent about 60 bucks for cab and split it with a couple we met at the resort. He took us all over Akumal (which isnt big) to snorkle, stop at La Buena Vida, etc. Second time we went, we were able to take collectivo and walked the rest of the way around Akumal. I'd like to do same thing in Cozumel, maybe with my husbands limited Spanish, we could do it.

Unless you want to add extra excitement to your visit.

"Right of way" seems to be established by how much nerve/drinks the driver has.

We rented a Tracker for $45.00 which was a good rate. I would pay twice that to avoid the white nuckel driving. The only place that has more cabs is New York City.

Coz. cabs are clean, have good drivers and fair rates.

• 2 weeks later...

scottlyn,

We have been to Cozumel 6 times in the past 4 years and were very fortunate to find an excellent guide whom I think would be exactly what you are looking for. He is an independent guide, owns his own restaurant there, and his family owns the oldest restaurant in Cozumel. He will show you any and everything that you would like to see or do, he also has a very nice boat available for snorkeling. Believe me when I tell you that he offers the absolute best tour imaginable and as Peg (wife) says: "He's not hard on the eyes either." Anyway, if you think might be interested in finding out more, just email me at rpsny@valornet.com, Be sure to mention something about touring Cozumel in the subject line.

Paul and Peg

We did a 4 night cruise last Jan, six karate moms, our school owner and 5 moms from age 35 to 49. We went to Paradise beach for the day and had the best time. Ask for Chi for your waiter. Food and drinks are reasonable. Taxi is around $30 each way for all six.

Although I have never been to Cozumel, i have been watching this since I have booked my cruise for 12/22. Not to go against any posts that have been made, there are two islanders that I know that read this board, one is Paradise Beach Tom, and the other is Ian from wilmacozumel.com they have both been very active in helping people find there wants and needs filled while on the island even though it may not be there own business. This being in business myself speaks louder than words.

Archived