Are you in Texas?....what's the latest?

cowboygene

If your on the ground...keep us updated

The Weather Channel is providing excellent coverage with their in the field reporters. So far in San Antonio, blustery winds and bands of heavy rain. Not a big deal, yet. The former eye now called core of the storm is about 65 miles SE of here right now.

The areas you are interested in most likely don't have electricity.

I'm not sure what areas you're assuming they're interested in... since this is a cruise comment site, I'm going to speculate that the OP was talking about Galveston. If that's the case, your comment is entirely wrong. Galveston has had some minor localized flooding, but nothing serious near the port. There has been no power outages- in fact a local Galvestonian reported that businesses all along the Strand are open and serving customers.

EDITING THIS POST because another poster insists on panicking everyone- it appears there are some power outages in Galveston but they don't appear to be systemic- the stoplights are working in the middle of the area reporting the most power outages! There are lights on around the port as we speak, according to the webcams, and local hotels are still inviting guests to join them.

Texas has been hit hard- OP please pray for those in and around Rockport & Port Lavaca- they say the devastation is scary in some parts of that area. But those of us in the rest of Texas (I'm in Austin, in the path of the bands but not in any real danger) are being cautious but not alarmists.

For the cruisers, those coming in and out of Galveston this weekend may well be inconvenienced, but by next week, I'd be surprised if it wasn't business as usual in the port. All this assumes, of course, that Harvey doesn't make a U-turn and head back out to the gulf and hit Galveston directly, which is one of the paths that was id'ed by the NHC yesterday.

Bottom line, we don't know what will happen exactly, but let's not overdramatize things just to scare people!

Edited by Shaded Lady

It's strange that this graphic shows all these outages, and yet businesses are open all along the strip displaying the power being out! Not to mention the stoplights are still working right in the middle of this area showing outages!

Pictures of the port show lights on in different areas, so I'm thinking that these power outages are random, and not widespread!

If you want to see Galveston for yourself .

http://www.galveston.com

Click on web cams.

There are cameras everywhere.Including on and near the port.

I have been glued to them, since we have a boat a few thousand feet from the port.Very helpful.Some of the folks on our dock are riding it out.

Sent from Samsung's Galaxy using speech to text