Israeli currency question

Spursgirl

My forthcoming Journey cruise is in Israel for three days, my first visit to that country.

Can CC posters who have travelled to Israel advise me whether US dollars are widely accepted there?

I plan to take some Israeli Shekels (sp) for drinks and small purchases but would prefer to use dollars for other things if possible.

Our private tour guide has requested payment in dollars so am hoping they can be used elsewhere too.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I do want to clarify a bit here. While your US dollars are pretty useless in Israel (except for your tour guide), your credit cards are more than welcome and can be used just about anywhere. Bring a card with little to no foreign transaction or translation fees. Your plan to carry around some NIS (ATMs are all over the place) is a good one, but don't bring any US money to Israel other than what you need to pay your guide. We spent two weeks in Israel last summer and only carried as much US money as we would need back in Boston at the airport there.

I do want to clarify a bit here. While your US dollars are pretty useless in Israel (except for your tour guide), your credit cards are more than welcome and can be used just about anywhere. Bring a card with little to no foreign transaction or translation fees. Your plan to carry around some NIS (ATMs are all over the place) is a good one, but don't bring any US money to Israel other than what you need to pay your guide. We spent two weeks in Israel last summer and only carried as much US money as we would need back in Boston at the airport there.

Thanks for your advice. I will certainly have a no transaction fee CC with me.

I never change Euros back into pounds as I am in European destinations frequently, but I don't want to be left with too many shekels as I m not sure when I might be returning to Israel after the cruise.

Thanks for your advice. I will certainly have a no transaction fee CC with me.

I never change Euros back into pounds as I am in European destinations frequently, but I don't want to be left with too many shekels as I m not sure when I might be returning to Israel after the cruise.

We spent a couple of weeks in Israel last year and probably spent whatever we had left at the airport in food for our flight home. You can always include whatever NIS you have left in your tip to your guide. I think you would need NIS cash for street food and maybe some places at the shuk in Jerusalem (do cruisers go there?). If anybody takes US dollars, you can bet that you are getting ripped off on an exchange though.

Have a great time in Israel. If you get a night out in Tel Aviv, go to Kitchen Market on the water, one of my all time favorite restaurants anywhere.