Carnival Glory vs Royal Caribbean Explorer...Opinions?

dewthedru

I don't know anything about cruises. I have several sets of friends that have gone on RC cruises and rave about them. They claim RC ships are vastly superior to Carnival ships.

However, my neighbor is organizing a cruise for the four of us and he enjoyed his Carnival cruise 7 years or so ago and wants to try them again.

We are looking at an 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise. Either the Carnival Glory or Royal Caribbean Explorer.

Do any of you have opinions?

Both ships have excellent ratings on here by members. Check out the reviews posted on CruiseCritic for the specific ship to get an idea. It does not look like you can go wrong either way. Both lines are budget oriented and cater to active passangers. Both are well over 100,000 tons which means you will have no shortage of places to explore and things to do.

There are some differences in the ships, I think RCCL concentrates on more innovative additions to the cruise experience. Things like roller blading, miniture golf, rock climbing, ice skating rink are common on their mega liners. I think Carnival has water slides which were very fun last time I took their cruise.

If I were choosing the cruise and price was equal I would go with the RCCL ship. However you can't go wrong with either of these boats, both have great ratings. Whichever you choose you will have a blast. Why not work it out with your neighbor to go with the one you can get the better deal on.

Don't worry, you can't make a bad decision deciding between these two vessels.

Your friends are IMO quite correct, Royal Caribbean IS vastly superior to Carnival!

The Explorer of the Seas (and Royal Caribbean's other "Voyager class" ships) are the most unique ships afloat and simply unlike anything else at sea!

Carnival ships have gaudy decor and are just ships, Explorer of the Seas and the other Voyager class ships are much nicer, better designed, and have everything on them from rock climbing walls, to roller blading, mini golf, basketball court, a gorgeous 3 story indoor Promenade, a Johnny Rockets, and an ice skating rink. They're massive ships but don't feel big and are not overcrowded like Carnival's ships are.

I've been on them all and in my opinion it's simply no contest - Go with the Explorer of the Seas!

• 1 month later...

:mad: We spent two weeks on the Glory in March and I would never take that ship again as we just don't like the deck layout, and the weather decks were never washed down in 14 days, so you can imagine the mess.

:mad: RCI is not better in my opinion unless you need the so-called innovative nonsense offered by these ships, least of all the "horizontal atrium" or Royal Promenade. After spending 10 days on the Mariner we learned that ship or any of its sisters are not for us. RCI is not a bit bashful about taking your hard-earned dosh "here, buy this!"

:) However, I can recommend the Carnival Miracle, a Spirit-Class ship. We found the decor pleasing, the crew very good, and a nice deck plan. We did not find that ship garish or gaudy in the decor as was the Pride. They are learning.

It all boils down to what your preferences are and what you expect from a cruise.

PREVIOUS CRUISES:

Jun 1989, RIVER CRUISES, -- Paddlewheeler Julia Belle Swain, GD

Sep 1993, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Halsey CG23, HI-CA, EXC

Nov 1997, CAPT. COOK CRUISES, Murray Princess, Australia, EXC

Jan.1993, RCL Majesty of the Seas 1st big cruiseship, we were green

May 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

Apr 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 1999, DELTA QUEEN STEAMBOAT CO, Delta Queen, EXC

Sep 2000, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 2001, HAL Maasdam. E. Caribbean, VG

Feb 2002, HAL Rotterdam, S. Caribbean, exc. ship decor, EXC

May 2002, CARNIVAL Pride, W. Caribbean, garish decor, VG

Sep 2002, CELEBRITY, Mercury, Panama Canal, Rail & Sail FR

Dec 2002, CARNIVAL Spirit, E. Caribbean, nice decor, VERY GD

Apr 2003, HAL Statendam, CA-HI, good all around, VERY GD

Aug 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, E. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Sep 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, W. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Dec 2003, HAL Noordam, E. & S. Caribbean, VG

Mar 2004, HAL Volendam, W. Caribbean Wayfarer, VG

May 2004, MSC, Lirica, West Indies, GOOD

Nov 2004, HAL Prinsendam, 28-day Amazon River Explorer, VG

Feb 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, E. Caribbean, POOR

Mar 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, W.Caribbean, POOR

July 2005, CARNIVAL Miracle, W. Caribbean, EXC

Dec 2005 RCL Mariner of the Seas, E. Caribbean REVIEW

COMING UP

Apr 2006 HAL Ryndam, S. Caribbean INCLUDING ARUBA!

Sep 2006 CARNIVAL Sensation, Bahamas (a short one)

Archived