Travel Insurance PSA

Darcy03231

Some of you may have seen my earlier thread about our cruise and cancelled flights. I always purchase travel insurance and thought I was covered for pretty much everything. It turns out that cancelled and rebooked flights are covered under travel delay. For the policy I bought it required a 6 hour delay (which we met), but it only covered $150/pp (which from what I now understand is pretty normal coverage).

We originally booked flights on Southwest at $157/pp one way to Ft. Lauderdale. Those flights were cancelled and SW was unable to rebook 2 of our party. I rebooked them on an American Flight at $330/pp, which also ended up being cancelled (and I was refunded). I then rebooked them on a JetBlue flight at $651/pp.

So, I ended up spending $1,300 on a new flight, got the original $300 flight refunded and will receive $300 from travel insurance, leaving me with about $500 for two one way tickets to FLL. No too bad considering, but for those who think (like I did) that you're covered for cancelled and rebooked flights that cost more, make sure you review your policy carefully.