Hotels/Beaches In Acapulco

TWOJERSEYGIRL

NEED SOME HELP HERE. GOING ON THE MEXICO RIV IN 2/06. DON'T WANT TO SEE CLIFF JUMPERS OR TOUR. HEAR ACAPULCO IS NOT TERRIFIC. HAS ANYONE TAKEN A TAXI OR INDEPENDENT PERSON TO A NICE HOTEL WITH A GOOD BEACH FOR THE DAY? CELEBRITY WANTS $64 P/P AS A TOUR TO DO THIS. HOW FAR IS THE SHIP DOCKED FROM PRINCESS HOTEL OR MAYAN? OR ANYOTHER HOTEL THAT WE DON'T KNOW OF.:confused:

THANKS NATALIE:)

I have vacationed in Acapulco about a dozen times + cruises. For a hotel, I would suggest the Acapulco Princess. You won't be disappointed. The hotel is a short taxi ride from the pier along Costera Miguel Aleman (sp).

If you are looking for a fun place for cocktails an snacks with a beautiful view , I would suggest Senor Frogs. It is a longer taxi ride though.

and very disappointed with Mexico as they charge to use their beaches and the stink in the water & beach area - YUK!

Cabo San Lucas was the nicest of the stops thru the Panama Canal. We expected major money in Aculpcoco with all the ads on TV showing beautiful areas but not what we saw there even Aruba was lousy. No snorkeling at all.

and very disappointed with Mexico as they charge to use their beaches and the stink in the water & beach area - YUK!

Cabo San Lucas was the nicest of the stops thru the Panama Canal. We expected major money in Aculpcoco with all the ads on TV showing beautiful areas but not what we saw there even Aruba was lousy. No snorkeling at all.

OT, but....You thought Aruba was lousy??? :confused: We were there a couple weeks ago, & thought it was one of the most beautiful places we've ever visited. We had a wonderful day there, & hope to return soon for a land vacation.

Nat,

You may want to try the Princess Hotel, it is in the Bay South of where the ship docks. The hotel is on 400+ acres, with a very nice beach area. But the surf there is quite strong. There are several great pool areas at this hotel that would probably be a bit nicer. I personally don't think it is a short taxi ride from the ship, but that is open to subjection. I am not sure if you would like any of the beaches or hotels that are close to the ship.

Hi Bill!

Twojerseygirl, I second Bill's suggestion of the Princess--it is FABULOUS!!! :D

I love the above post--snorkeling in Aruba was lousy---HA HA HA, geeze!!!! Snorkeling in Mexico can be disappointing vs the Caribbean. Acapulco is beautiful, you have to know where to go & the Princess is one of the best places. We're actually taking a land vacation there for 2 weeks in May! We LOVE Mexico & ALL the beaches in ALL of Mexico are FREE public beaches!!!! Just got back from 10 days in Puerto Vallarta--to die for vacation! Enjoy!

Jimkokopeli:

Thanks So Much For The Info On Princess. We Changed From The 2/3/06 To The 2/24 So We Were Almost Shipmates.

If You Can, Let Me Know How You Got There & Back & The Cost. $35 P/p Is Still Cheaper Then $64 For The Mayan. Enjoy & Take Notes For Me. What Are You Planning For Ixtapa? Uncertain With This Stop.:confused:

Thanks Natalie;

I will certainly send the info when I get back from the cruise! If you do not see my post on this board by the 15th, put in a reminder for me!

As for as Ixtapa, I believe that we are just beaching it. I have not found anything else there.

I went to the Princess Hotel about 3 years ago and I think I paid nothing. However, I didn't use a changing room. I just used the pool, slides, pool bar, beach, and restroom facilities. It was a beautiful hotel, had something like 4 or 5 pools, one or two was salt water and others was fresh water. Right next to the hotel is the beach, you can rent horses, jet ski, etc, or get a message I believe.

If you just walk thru like you are a guest I don't think you will have a problem, and even if you have to pay a fee, it's worth it. My memory says it's about 30 minutes from where my ship was, but my taxi driver kinda gave me a tour of Alapulco. What I did was find a taxi driver that spoke English, (a little ways from the ship), the further you go the cheaper they are, and I think I negotiated a price of about $20 roundtrip for two in a VW (it's been awhile so I could be off, but I had to haggle for awhile) and he gave me a tour of Acapulco, had lunch at Senior Frogs, and spent 5 hours at Princess Hotel. He dropped us off and obviously did other pick ups during the day. While at the Hotel, you could eat lunch there or get a drink or two at pool bar (it's pretty cool !!!!:D ). I tried to use all the pools but I think I ran out of time. There water slides for the little kids (and for the adults who haven't grown up like me :eek: )

Than I went back to the ship, showered, freshened up, ate a quick dinner, and than took another taxi to the Divers and saw their show at night with torches. I would highly recommend the divers with torches. The taxi driver also threw in an extra tour at night so I gave him some extra money. I figured I probably saved over $125 to $200 by doing the stuff on my own than using the ship's excursions.

I'm going on the Mercury on Jan 2, so I'm trying to figure out what to do, I'm thinking of going to the forte this time. My experience in Acapulco at the Princess with a private taxi was nothing short of great and the divers at night was something I will always remember. I have read some negative posts about this port, but it definetly wasn't my experience. Just like traveling anywhere, use good judgement. Hope everyone enjoys their cruise to Mexico, and for those who try the Princess, I'm sure they will have a great day as many on here have had similiar experiences as I have had

Doug.

(PS Whenever I used a taxi in any port, they would suggest resorts to use for free and they said it was perfectly OK because they (resorts) wanted you to see how great a place they had so that you would return in future for a land package and I even think a bartender told me that at one resort in Ixta or Zihu. I figure if I buy a few drinks, and they know I'm from the cruise ship, it must be OK. Plus who knows, I might even go back there. Everyone knows how grest the Princess is, especially after you spend some time there. The other ports also have some great resorts too!)

WE've stopped at several Mexican resorts while cruising and spent the day at some lovely hotels. We always check in with the desk. There's usually a day fee--however, any food or drink, cabana services you purchase are deducted from the day fee. In Ixtapa, we went to the Barcelo Hotel--lovely hotel, pool and beach. In Puerto Vallerta, the Krystal Hotel is close by cruise terminal and pleasant. In Manzanillo, Las Hadas is great for the day!

I just returned Dec 2nd from the Mexican Riviera on Mercury. If you're into snorkeling, you can either hire a water taxi or take the ship shore excursion to La Roquetta Island for the hike and snorkel tour. The excursion is about $68, but it includes transportation to the island (in a glass bottom boat), bottled water and buffet lunch at the Pasado restaurant where the taxi docks.

We could care less about the hike part and all I wanted to do was stay in the water, which I did the entire 4 hours we were there. They provided a place for us to store our stuff while in the water and the two tour guides were great. Those who wanted to hike first did so, the rest of us just stayed in the water. We had the whole area to ourselves and it was awesome! There is technically no "beach" there, just a small area to get in and snorkel, but when you're in the water, it's great!

I actually ended up in the middle of a huge school of sardines!:eek:

Also if you're interested in an evening boat tour around the bay, within walking distance to the left as you exit the pier area past the Ft. there is a boat there called the Bonanza. For $22US you get a two hour cruise around the harbor (the 5pm one sports a great sunset this time of year!) and it has an open bar. The walk back to the ship will probably take you about 20 minutes via casual stroll.

Enjoy!

Last April we were on the Infinity with a stop in Acapulco. We took a tour named the Mayan Palace Beach Getaway. There was a 30 minute bus ride which took us to a small hotel. We were amazed how clean and friendly the

people were. We had lunch which was included and two free drinks. The hotel had a very nice pool. It was not meant to do laps but to float around and keep cool. At the pool there were lounge chairs which were very comfortable and covered with a white sheet. The portion of the beach which

belonged to the hotel was roped off. You could easily walk to the water.

We have been on many Celebrity cruises and I would say this is tour is one of

best there is. Note, Save you money on trying to see the cliff divers. On a prior cruise we made that trip. If you blink you'll miss the divers. Yet by the time you get back to the bus, the divers were waiting for you looking for tips.

The number of people that can take the Beach Getaway is limited.

Archived