Questions about Costa Maya

seadancer

My husband and I have never been to Costa Maya. From a lot of your posts, it looks like we will be going to the little town of Mahajaul. It sounds like a lot of fun! :)

We don't drink but we love Mexican music, food (not hot, just flavorful), and the Mexican people we have encountered. Does the beach there have any shade? Dh is VERY light skinned and I don't want him to get sun stroke. ;)

We loved Cozumel when we went. We liked the jewelry stores (Tanzanite international etc.) but enjoyed the stores like "Los cinco soles" more. This store had Mexican items for the house, souvenirs and anything under the sun.

In this trip, we were thinking of looking for mexican art to decorate our house with. We wondered if we would find items for the house in Mahajaul or do the vendors only sell souvenirs. We would rather experience a real Mexican village than a shopping center. I probably would still like the shopping center area but it sounds small and we'd rather give the money to people who need it instead of large companies.

Since we don't drink, is there anything else we should hunt out in that village to do other than swimming, eating and relaxing? :cool:

Thanks for your help!

:) It really looks great! Really relaxing which is what we are looking for. Thanks and if anyone can remember the names of the restaurants that they ate at that were good, please let me know. The other threads I've read don't seem to specify the name. Or is it the only one in that village?

Thanks!

I am looking for input from anyone who can help me choose an excursion. We will be on the princess grand in January. Would love to relax on a great beach, have a few drinks and see the sights of Costa Maya. We are looking at the ALL-TERRAIN TRUCK ADVENTURE & BEACH WITH LUNCH tour and the COSTA MAYA BEACH BREAK tours through the ship.:p Any one done these recently? HELP!!!

bruce-r...thanks for the great pics of Costa Maya. We were there one time and did the Costa Maya Beach Break. We didn't even know there was so much to do right at the pier! When we returned from our shore excursion we just looked at each other and laughed!!!! We had time for a margarita/beer or two there anyway. We're going in November and will stay near the peir this time....can't wait for the swim up bar...:D

:) Thanks and if anyone can remember the names of the restaurants that they ate at that were good, please let me know. The other threads I've read don't seem to specify the name. Or is it the only one in that village?

Thanks!

You're welcome.

The food we ate came from this restaurant, which is right in front of Hotel Mahahual.

13restaurantmahahaul.jpg

Pez Quadro:

18pezquadro.jpg

There are several more, but like everyone else, I don't know the names.

We are looking at the ALL-TERRAIN TRUCK ADVENTURE & BEACH WITH LUNCH tour and the COSTA MAYA BEACH BREAK tours through the ship
First off, welcome to Cruise Critic.

I think if you want to see sights, you'd be better off with the truck adventure. If you just want to go to a sandy beach, skip all the ship's excursions and just take a taxi to Mahahual, walk along the one and only beach there until you come to some tables & chairs and sit down. It won't be long until someone comes up to you to ask if you'd like to order some food. Just say yes.

Okie, now I know that you didn't ask my opinion about doing ship's excursions versus going it on your own, and you can stop reading right now if you don't want to know what I think. OK, you've been warned. I think for the most part, people can do as least as well going on their own if they are willing to do a little research. They usually save money and have a more personal experience. Some ship's excursions take a lot of people. The ship's Stingray City tours definitely are crowded. With the ship's tour, you do everything on their schedule, while on your own, it is on your schedule. Cruise critic is really helpful with the research, but so are some of the main stream travel guide books like Frommers. They do a pretty good job giving the "big picture" of a destination. When you want to know specifics, come to CC and ask questions. The one big reason people give for taking the ship's excursion is that if they are late, the ship will wait. This is true, but if you plan and keep track of the time, you won't have a problem. Seldom do people actually miss the ship.

I don't know if you are going to Cozumel, but if you are, I think there is not better guide to the island than the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com Definitely worth $8.

Thanks bruce-r for all the info and you are 100% on with the map (we have one) but my question is, and everyone is different, how much is sitting on the beach all day going to cost me in food and drinks? We are light drinkers and we will eat but not to excess will we be for lack of a better word "pestered"? Are we talking $35, $50 or $100? And since you have Cozumel experience is it more or less expensive there?

I am looking for input from anyone who can help me choose an excursion. We will be on the princess grand in January. Would love to relax on a great beach, have a few drinks and see the sights of Costa Maya. We are looking at the ALL-TERRAIN TRUCK ADVENTURE & BEACH WITH LUNCH tour and the COSTA MAYA BEACH BREAK tours through the ship.:p Any one done these recently? HELP!!!

We are also looking at ship excursions, what's the difference between the dune buggy, jeep, and off road truck adventures? Reading all of the descriptions, they all look pretty much the same to me: drive off road, 1 hour at the beach then drive back. Anyone prefer one over another and is there a difference that isn’t mentioned in the descriptions other than vehicle type?

The only difference I can see is the all terrain truck adventure someone will drive you around. The jeep and dune buggy trip you do the driving. I don't know where any of the tours take you. That might be different too. I would love to find out more also.

Beachbears-they are very nice to you while you sit on the beach in their chairs, under palapas if you need shade. We spent about $12 for our food, and maybe 2 beers, and sat for about 1 1/2 hours. The Mexican people (I have found this on all our trips to Mexico) are very gracious and want you to enjoy your stay. I watched as proprieters rushed to find more chairs for people as tourists came in to sit and get food. The food is wonderful, and only spicy if you add spice to it. Also buy the banana chips from the vendor that walks around. They are really good, $1/bag, and you open them right away and he adds some hot sauce. Just tell him "very little" (piquito), and it isn't THAT hot...not to wory. Most understand English no problem. The minute we all had a couple of chips we called him back and bought more. We ate these as we waited for our food. (the food took a while)

Thanks bruce-r for all the info and you are 100% on with the map (we have one) but my question is, and everyone is different, how much is sitting on the beach all day going to cost me in food and drinks? We are light drinkers and we will eat but not to excess will we be for lack of a better word "pestered"? Are we talking $35, $50 or $100? And since you have Cozumel experience is it more or less expensive there?
Pretty much how sparky described it. For 2 people eating moderately, I don't think you'd be over $30. If you went for lobster, it might be a bit more ;) (for the record, I don't know if lobster is even available)

I think Mahahual is a little less expensive than Cozumel, at least for the food.

My husband and I have never been to Costa Maya. From a lot of your posts, it looks like we will be going to the little town of Mahajaul. It sounds like a lot of fun! :)

We don't drink but we love Mexican music, food (not hot, just flavorful), and the Mexican people we have encountered. Does the beach there have any shade? Dh is VERY light skinned and I don't want him to get sun stroke. ;)

We loved Cozumel when we went. We liked the jewelry stores (Tanzanite international etc.) but enjoyed the stores like "Los cinco soles" more. This store had Mexican items for the house, souvenirs and anything under the sun.

In this trip, we were thinking of looking for mexican art to decorate our house with. We wondered if we would find items for the house in Mahajaul or do the vendors only sell souvenirs. We would rather experience a real Mexican village than a shopping center. I probably would still like the shopping center area but it sounds small and we'd rather give the money to people who need it instead of large companies.

Since we don't drink, is there anything else we should hunt out in that village to do other than swimming, eating and relaxing? :cool:

Thanks for your help!

At the Drinking Donkey....about half way between the beach and the port....there are alot of new stores going in. Much higher end than in town. You may find some artwork there. Stop by....its a nice place. The food was excellent...the drinks not as good as at the beach, but you mentioned food. The salsa was superb.

:) It really looks great! Really relaxing which is what we are looking for. Thanks and if anyone can remember the names of the restaurants that they ate at that were good, please let me know. The other threads I've read don't seem to specify the name. Or is it the only one in that village?

Thanks!

At the beach in Majuahual we ate at El Faro....they are right near the football field where we parked the golf cart. Look for green chairs outside. Although some of the others have them too...hehe Their food was excellent and the drinks were good too. We got massages there ...$20 for 40 min. Very good. The Drinking Donkey on the way there (half way) had very good food also. The drinks were not that good though....and its kinda in the middle of nowhere. Halfway between port and the beach.

Archived