Casa De Campo, Domenican Republic

Mparis184

Interested in information on Casa De Campo. Infinity will stop there and I can't remember if we have been to this port before.

Think we visited this port once before but it didn't leave a lasting impression. It seems there are a lot more excursions offered this time.

We usually don''t do ship excursions. If we get off the ship are there tour folks available at the pier to take you to different beaches, other villages, etc? I am certain we can find others on the ship willing to share the cost with us.

If you have any suggestions about what we should do in this port I would appreciate your wisdom!

Just booked this cruise so I will have to look into what is available very quickly!

Thanks for any information you can pass on.

this was the port where the ship backed up into a little creek type inlet.

there was room for one ship on each side of the river.

we walked up the street and were warned by members of the ships crew to stay in groups, make sure to return well before dark, and to not flash money.

we didnt think much of the warnings until we got to the end of the street and found several shotgun wielding riot cops there with riot batons. (just in case)

we went to Altos de Chavon. this WAS beautiful. but, others who went to a beach resort had a better time in our group.

all in all i would avoid dominican rep like the plague. now that i know what is there i would NOT book a trip that was wasting my day there. if you already booked the trip, make it a stay aboard day.

i was really pXXXXX out that we not only went there, but the ship was there for 23 hours!! what a waste of my time.

i woudl hav erather had the ship anchor at a sand bar and just look at the pretty blue water than be up a dirty river, and be in a place that the crew doesnt even feel comfortable going ashore!

we took a mini bus from the ship to altos.

i believe we agreed on 30 per person RT. (cant remember though) when we got back we found some had made it for less. the trip there was safe. the mini bus was licensed. he agreed to wait for us at chavon, and was no problem. i believe they only let licensed transportation near the side of the ship.

we had bought (through the ship) the night time light show, dancing thing at chavon, but it POORED rain so that was cancelled.

it retrospect we were glad we went for the day to see the place, since our night trip was cancelled. altos de chavon IS quite picturesque, beautiful and breathtaking. but, knowing that the casa de campo surrounding area IS such a threatening place i have NO idea why the cruise lines have the ship spend SO much time there. i would suspect the dock fees are quite low, or there is no reason i can think of to go there.

a little history of altos de chavon:

it was some mega millionaires old vacation retreat, love nest and dream home.

it was slowly constructed of small bouldings, which were in turn surrounded by larger ones, and pretty soon there was a small town of relatively well built architechularly(SIC) unusual rich mans paradise. at some time the government took it over and made some into public restaurants, an open air light show pavillion, some swanky shopping nests, and just a nice place to look out over the green grass plains of DR. there was a 18 hole golf course affiliated with it also.

upon return to casa de campo we walked up the street just across the previously mentioned shotgun toting police, across the square and found a nice mom and pop beer stop, cigar store, and spent a nice couple of hours there...... but we high tailed it back to the ship about an hour before sun down.

others in our group went to a all inclusive resort for the day. i forget what it cost them, but it sounded like they had a better, safer and more vacation like day than we had.

again; i cant see why the cruise companies have their ships spend SOOOO much time in this port when almost any other ports seem safer, have more nightlife, and better reputations than DR??

best of luck

Don't think that was the port we visited, doesn't even sound familiar with the river, etc.

Any idea what all-inclusive they went too. I would like to do that for the day, sounds like a good opportunity to see some of the area and at the same time be quite safe at a private hotel. I assume they booked the hotel online before they arrived.

Did people also get the mini vans at the pier to take them around the area on tours to Altos de Chavon?

Any information yo can share will be appreciated.

Marion

i beleive the day trip to the resort was through the ship.

the mini vans come right down on the dock beside the ship.

you can discuss with the driver where you want to go.

after further memory reminders from the mrs. the driver wanted to take us to another reosrt area/ beach but we were ready to go back to the ship.

i beleive that the resort was another stop for some ships, they anchor offshore and tender the pax into the resort. not sure of the name. if i find it, i'll post back.

tomorrow were going on the golden princess. YIPPEEEEEEEEEEE

so long snow and cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We just got off the Constellation and it did Casa de Campo. Not sure if Celebrity offers it every cruise or not, but they had free shuttle busses to Altos de Chavon and the Marina area in Casa de Campo. It was a nice visit, although there was not a lot to do there. The scenery was worth the quick visit. It rained most of the time we were there so we didnt spend a lot of time looking around the area.

We had some friends who took a cab into La Romana and said they wouldnt recommend it to anyone. They said they did not feel safe in town, but the cab driver was great and waited for them while they did what they needed to do.

I would rather have anchored at Catalina Island (just offshore) and spent the day at the beach and let those who are doing mainland tours ship it in to town. If I went again, I would probably just make a ship day out of it.

I'm sure there are some people who loved the stop and a tour ship offered, but thats going to be a personal call depending on what you really want to do and what is offered.

I was in Casa de Campo two years ago, going again next month. When I were there, the political unrest was so active that we weren't allowed past the gates of the dock to wander around on our own. There were armed guards everywhere and some local military in a PT type boat patrolling the river. At one point there was talk of not letting any of the passengers off the boat, but I guess the local officials assured the Captain that they would take care of us and keep us safe. Some of the shore excursions were still offered and buses picked us up on the dock right next to the ship.

We took a Catamaran trip to Isla Saona and it was wonderful. They fed us a feast, the beach was gorgeous and very uncrowded, the guides were friendly and entertaining, there was free rum and the catamaran crew taught all the ladies in the group how to do a few latin dance steps. We also had two different snorkeling stops which is always a plus for me.

If there is a "must" in Casa de Campo and you like that kind of thing, I highly recommend this excursion.

-Yergie

we took a mini bus from the ship to altos.

i believe we agreed on 30 per person RT. (cant remember though) when we got back we found some had made it for less. the trip there was safe. the mini bus was licensed. he agreed to wait for us at chavon, and was no problem. i believe they only let licensed transportation near the side of the ship.

we had bought (through the ship) the night time light show, dancing thing at chavon, but it POORED rain so that was cancelled.

it retrospect we were glad we went for the day to see the place, since our night trip was cancelled. altos de chavon IS quite picturesque, beautiful and breathtaking. but, knowing that the casa de campo surrounding area IS such a threatening place i have NO idea why the cruise lines have the ship spend SO much time there. i would suspect the dock fees are quite low, or there is no reason i can think of to go there.

a little history of altos de chavon:

it was some mega millionaires old vacation retreat, love nest and dream home.

it was slowly constructed of small bouldings, which were in turn surrounded by larger ones, and pretty soon there was a small town of relatively well built architechularly(SIC) unusual rich mans paradise. at some time the government took it over and made some into public restaurants, an open air light show pavillion, some swanky shopping nests, and just a nice place to look out over the green grass plains of DR. there was a 18 hole golf course affiliated with it also.

upon return to casa de campo we walked up the street just across the previously mentioned shotgun toting police, across the square and found a nice mom and pop beer stop, cigar store, and spent a nice couple of hours there...... but we high tailed it back to the ship about an hour before sun down.

others in our group went to a all inclusive resort for the day. i forget what it cost them, but it sounded like they had a better, safer and more vacation like day than we had.

again; i cant see why the cruise companies have their ships spend SOOOO much time in this port when almost any other ports seem safer, have more nightlife, and better reputations than DR??

best of luck

its a shame you missed the show .. it was fantastic.. as good as a good Vegas show.. and to be there at nite under the stars in that huge ampitheater was awesome.. during the day several of the ship's tours were reportedly very good.. especially the electric bike tour and the horseback riding tour.. it was a glorious day so we just went to the beach and spent most of the time in the water but i would do the electric bike tour if I ever return there...

• 5 weeks later...

Everyone we know who went ashore, took the bus and returned 30 minutes later. Nothing to see. Consider it a "sea day", enjoy the sun, and we were thankful they canceled the 2nd day, and went to Grenada instead. (Although Grenada wasn't much better.)

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the Bayahibe Beach Break excursion to Casa del Mar resort, does anyone know if anything else is included? Beach chairs, bathrooms, beverages, other amenities? How does it differ from taking a taxi on your own to Bayahibe Beach?

We are sailing on Infinity March 12-19 -- will any of you be on our ship? We, too, feel a little "stuck" regarding stopping here, and I would probably be willing to stay on board, but my husband is impatient to see the turquoise waters of the Caribbean. And seeing that this is our first port of call on our first ever cruise, I suppose we might find it a little hard to simply stay on board! If we had some good advice from folks who have done it, I think we would strike out on our own to hit the beach, but we have read that it is best to join an excursion at this port -- it's a little too "rough and ready", apparently. It will presumably become more sedate when it develops more.

its a shame you missed the show .. it was fantastic.. as good as a good Vegas show.. and to be there at nite under the stars in that huge ampitheater was awesome.. during the day several of the ship's tours were reportedly very good.. especially the electric bike tour and the horseback riding tour.. it was a glorious day so we just went to the beach and spent most of the time in the water but i would do the electric bike tour if I ever return there...

I wanted to know what was appealing to you about the bike tour, as that was one of the excursions we had considered. We know so little about it -- do you have any details? We are still undecided about what to do (although we have tentatively signed up for Bayahibe beach.)

We took the shuttle to the Marina and Casa DeCampo to see the old town they built for the movie set. Nothing to do, just took the shuttle and we were back on the ship in 1 1/2 hours. I wanted to get off the ship and that was about it. Have no idea why they have this port on the itinerary.

I don't know of anyone who went to the beach, we didn't see any.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I wanted to know what was appealing to you about the bike tour, as that was one of the excursions we had considered. We know so little about it -- do you have any details? We are still undecided about what to do (although we have tentatively signed up for Bayahibe beach.)

the scenerey was beautiful , you go hru a quaint village and to a horse breeding ranch.. beautiful foiliage and a fun tour... if you do the beach tour, plese report on it.. i may try that next. depending on the reports of the snorkeling

I was in Casa de Campo two years ago, going again next month. When I were there, the political unrest was so active that we weren't allowed past the gates of the dock to wander around on our own. There were armed guards everywhere and some local military in a PT type boat patrolling the river. At one point there was talk of not letting any of the passengers off the boat, but I guess the local officials assured the Captain that they would take care of us and keep us safe. Some of the shore excursions were still offered and buses picked us up on the dock right next to the ship.

We took a Catamaran trip to Isla Saona and it was wonderful. They fed us a feast, the beach was gorgeous and very uncrowded, the guides were friendly and entertaining, there was free rum and the catamaran crew taught all the ladies in the group how to do a few latin dance steps. We also had two different snorkeling stops which is always a plus for me.

If there is a "must" in Casa de Campo and you like that kind of thing, I highly recommend this excursion.

-Yergie

how was the snorkeling?.. i am considering this tour

the scenerey was beautiful , you go hru a quaint village and to a horse breeding ranch.. beautiful foiliage and a fun tour... if you do the beach tour, plese report on it.. i may try that next. depending on the reports of the snorkeling

We did do the beach tour, but only snorkeled at the swimming beach, where there was nothing to see. We saw other people snorkeling out beyond the roped off area at what appeared to be a reef, but we did not talk to them about what they saw. There was a boat that would take you out to a snorkeling reef for a few extra $$ (5 or 10? I don't remember) but we did not opt for that. The beach is OK, the water was good but not crystal clear, the free beer was a plus. It was an all-around good beach day, although we have nothing to compare it to as we did not do any other beach/swimming excursions (although we sailed and snorkeled on St. John and that was heavenly!):rolleyes:

When do you sail, and on what ship?

Edna

We did do the beach tour, but only snorkeled at the swimming beach, where there was nothing to see. We saw other people snorkeling out beyond the roped off area at what appeared to be a reef, but we did not talk to them about what they saw. There was a boat that would take you out to a snorkeling reef for a few extra $$ (5 or 10? I don't remember) but we did not opt for that. The beach is OK, the water was good but not crystal clear, the free beer was a plus. It was an all-around good beach day, although we have nothing to compare it to as we did not do any other beach/swimming excursions (although we sailed and snorkeled on St. John and that was heavenly!):rolleyes:

When do you sail, and on what ship?

Edna

thanks for the report... I may consider some other options I'm a snorkeling junkie :)

We docked at the pier in La Romana.

You have an opportunity to purchase a number of excursions or take a shuttle, provided gratis by Celebrity, to Altos de Chavon and Casa de Campo Resort. Altos de Chavon is a recreation of a medieval Spanish village with cobblestone streets. It's an interesting stroll, but not of interest to kids. Casa de Campo is a 7,000 acre resort. The shuttle took you to the marina where there are shops and restaurants. During the Port Talk, we were encouraged to visit the marina after dinner. Unfortunately, it closes at 7:00pm.

We chose to take the Bayahibe Beach Break excursion at a cost of $44 per person. An air conditioned tour bus took us to the Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana Resort. This is a very nice all-inclusive resort on Bayahibe Beach, about 30 minutes drive from the ship. The excursion included transportation, beach lounge chairs, use of the resort beach and pool, and access to the open bars. This is an excellent facility for families. There is a big white sand beach and lots of shade. Food and watercraft are available at a small additional charge. The large pool has a 12-foot tall tethered floating "Iceberg" climbing wall/slide that the kids couldn't get enough of. We got hit by a late afternoon downpour, but it didn't dampen the fun. I do recommend it. We felt secure at all times. When you've got an excursion like this available, I do not recommend staying on the ship.

We would have done the Bayahibe Beach excursion on our own, but we couldn't get any enough information on the Ports of Call thread to feel comfortable about it. Let me remedy that right now. You can do this on your own, and you shouldn't hesitate. At the port, it is easy to arrange for your own transportation to Bayahibe Beach. (A fellow passenger arranged for a van for their group of ten for $10 per person. They got roundtrip transportation to Bayahibe Beach and the driver even waited for them for 3 hours while they enjoyed the beach). If you don't need the resort facilities, you can access and use the beach just East of the resort.

You can do the Sunscape Casa del Mar La Romana Resort on a Day Pass, which would be great if you arrive in the morning. A day pass runs $50 per person (less for children under 11), from 10:30pm until 5:30pm It includes unlimited drinks, food, and access to non-motorized watercraft, snorkel gear, beach chairs --- pretty much the works! The resort personnel are extremely friendly. Shirley Sánchez, the Chief Concierge, is very good at answering any questions you may have via email. A taxi for 4 should run in the $30 to $35 range each way. If the driver doesn't stay, the resort will get call a taxi for your return trip to the pier.

Complete review can be seen on one page at: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/millennium.html

Archived