Can a felon get into Spain?

Matysgirl

have a free cruise anywhere in the world and my son chose Europe (leaving out of Barcelona). My husband has a felony from 2001 but has a passport. We have no issues with trips to Aruba or Bahamas and other Caribbean cruises (just coming back in he's stopped so we expect it). I contacted our congressmens office, was told to contact the Spanish consulate here... did thT and all I get is no visa required and it's up to immigration and customs in Barcelona. I can't find contact info for them. Has anyone had issues before? I have until 9/19 to book! Thank you!!!

That's the standard response. It sounds to me that's a lazy civil servant fobbing you off... I would insist, maybe ask to speak to someone higher on the chain and explain your case.

In any case, should you want to request help from these: https://es.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/barcelona/

Good luck.

Thank you very much!!! We were just in Bahamas and US customs told us he would be stopped coming back in (we figured) but last thing I want is to have to fly him home!!!

That's the standard response. It sounds to me that's a lazy civil servant fobbing you off... I would insist, maybe ask to speak to someone higher on the chain and explain your case.

In any case, should you want to request help from these: https://es.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/barcelona/

Good luck.

The Spanish government's sites would list their requirements but good luck finding what you need to know

I got close but only in Spanish so used a translation service. On one page at one time i saw a button for English and tried to go back and trace my steps for you but the googley translator is preventing this.

In Chrome, googler unhelpfully does not have a 'show original page" . It does in Firefox but could not get back to where I wanted to be with the URLS mangled a bit by google.

Anyway, you might want to read this and also try a search for "delito" and see if there is something more specific

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.interior.gob.es/web/servicios-al-ciudadano/extranjeria/regimen-general/entrada-requisitos-y-condiciones&usg=ALkJrhhmuQ-9XhIS_tJdgPbNQtd3dlT4Sg#Prohibición de entrada

Something I can add though... it's that, fortunately for your husband, in general terms, the view of "felons" in most countries in Europe, both legally and socially, is that once you have served your time/penalty, you're then again a regular citizen. There might be a social stigma for certain types of felonies, the most "grave" so to speak, but other than that, you're "a citizen" and as such you're entitled to the same rights and respect as anyone else. Saying this because I am aware there are "different perceptions" in the States, but this won't affect you here. If there's no standing arrest order or similar, from the receiving end point of view, that is, from "our legal systems" point of view, he's entitled the same right to visit than you are -this applies to the EU countries, not necessarily to all the other countries in Europe.In any case, this, of course, will depend on different factors: whether he's deemed or not a national threat to the country he wants to visit, whether he's in breach of any previous felony in the country he wants to visit, etc.

Finally to mention that while here in Europe we cooperate in many things, we're not a country, but a bunch of them, all sovereign countries. This translates in that there are differences in the legislation on certain matters. For this reason, it's NOT a good idea to follow any advice given on a public forum and it's best to ensure you get your info from official sources only.

Just sayin'.

Edited by EnricM

That's why I reached out to my congressman and the embassy and consulate before coming here. I reached out and got a canned response again from both. "Please find below the general information for US citizens who intend to travel to Spain.

US passport holders do not require visa to travel to Spain for stays of less than 90 days. The basic requirements are traveling with a passport valid for at least 6 more months and a round trip ticket, without prejudice to meet another entry requirements specified by custom authorities.

Only the Inmigration and Customs authorities in Spain -or their officers- can guarantee the entry or exit of Spain. The Consulate has no jurisdiction or more information over this decision.

Please take also into consideration that entry and exit from US territory is determined and under the exclusively decision of US authorities. Traveling to Spain with felonies is under your own responsibility and it is subject to the US Law and authorities"

He has no restrictions in the US, never parole, probabtiom that ended in 2007, we've cruised the Caribbean before and been to other Caribbean countries on land trips.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Something I can add though... it's that, fortunately for your husband, in general terms, the view of "felons" in most countries in Europe, both legally and socially, is that once you have served your time/penalty, you're then again a regular citizen. There might be a social stigma for certain types of felonies, the most "grave" so to speak, but other than that, you're "a citizen" and as such you're entitled to the same rights and respect as anyone else. Saying this because I am aware there are "different perceptions" in the States, but this won't affect you here. If there's no standing arrest order or similar, from the receiving end point of view, that is, from "our legal systems" point of view, he's entitled the same right to visit than you are -this applies to the EU countries, not necessarily to all the other countries in Europe.In any case, this, of course, will depend on different factors: whether he's deemed or not a national threat to the country he wants to visit, whether he's in breach of any previous felony in the country he wants to visit, etc.

Finally to mention that while here in Europe we cooperate in many things, we're not a country, but a bunch of them, all sovereign countries. This translates in that there are differences in the legislation on certain matters. For this reason, it's NOT a good idea to follow any advice given on a public forum and it's best to ensure you get your info from official sources only.

Just sayin'.

I see your predicament... and I am so sorry not to be able to point you to somewhere in Spain you could clarify this. But as I said, whatever "problems" he had in the US are most likely to be limited to the US.

That's my thinking and I'm going to go for it and hope for the best

I see your predicament... and I am so sorry not to be able to point you to somewhere in Spain you could clarify this. But as I said, whatever "problems" he had in the US are most likely to be limited to the US.