Simple Norwegian Questions

cruzin2paradise

Hi everyone. I've searched the threads and can't seem to find answers to some basic questions (maybe I didn't look hard enough), and I was wondering if you could help me.

We have cruised twice on Carnival (Fantasy & Paradise-small ships) and once on RCI (Voyager - too big for me). We like RCI, but a few things were disappointing that we enjoyed on Carnival.

We are currently looking at the Dawn and Spirit for May of 2007 out of NYC.

What we are interested in is this: Does Norwegian (specifically either of the above ships) have a place to sit outside of the buffet area and eat? If anyone is familiar with Carnival, most of their ships have this -- we really enjoy this . . . RCI Voyager did not have this.

The other question is, how often during a 7-day (or the 10 or 11-day) cruise is there adult entertainment? (i.e., Midnight Comedians.) We felt a bit jipped again with RCI.

I'm not trying to run comparisons, but these are just a couple of things we enjoyed with Carnival, but want to try another cruiseline. We're curious about the freestyle dining (I've read you either love it or hate it).

We are exclusively looking for itineraries out of NYC so we can drop the kids at grandma & grandpa's house - grown-up only cruise! Woohoo!

Also, my ignorance will shine through, Carnival has the Capers each night, I assume Norwegian has some sort of newsletter daily? What is it called? I will do a webshots search for them.

Thank you in advance for all your input.

We took our food and ate wherever we wanted. Nice eating on the bow.

I am surprised you were disappointed with RCI. I loved ther entertainment on the RCI and felt let down with the entertainment on the Carnival. You felt the opposite. I guess that shows how it can vary from ship to ship even within the cruise line.

Here is a link to NCL Freestyle Dailies:

http://members.aol.com/globaliser/Sun_FSD.htm

Freestyle dining is a great experience but not for everyone. I hope you enjoy your cruise!

DJ - thanks for the quick response. As for our disappointment, it wasn't a bomb of a cruise. We tried to say that because we were more accustomed to Carnival, it was hard not to compare. We didn't have a bad time by any means. There were just a couple of things that the Voyager didn't offer that we didn't realize we truly enjoyed until we didn't get to experience them. (Does that even make sense? Me thinks I'm having a bit of a blonde moment.)

Anyway, I would never be opposed to sailing on RCI again, but maybe on not such a big ship. But, I really want to experience another cruiseline so I can be even more open-minded about cruising.

I'll click on the link -- thanks again.

Q 1: I have not been on the Dawn or the Spirit but the 2 NCL ships I was on both had outdoor eating areas to the rear of the inside buffet area.

Q 2: I did not attend but noticed that late night comedians were offered at least some nights

Q 3: Yes - it is called the Freestyle Daily and it is VERY useful for planning your day

Our family just booked the Spirit out of NYC for April '07 and we've only sailed Carnival before. As for dining outside on deck - the Spirit has the Biergarten, which is basically like the grill & pizza area on the Lido on Carnival ships. I'm guessing you could take your buffet trays out there if you'd like. I don't know about the entertainment but DH and I like the late nite comedians too I'm trying to find the dailies for the Spirit eastern itinerary to see what they have late nite. The Spirit is a smaller ship than the Carnival Conquest class ships (or the Voyager)but the Dawn is just as big. We tried the Glory (not as intimate as the Triumph - loved the size of the Triumph) and we're trying the Liberty (conquest class, again)this coming spring - and I wanted to get back to a smaller ship for '07. Plus without all the airfare to FLA we upgraded our usual cabin type. What ever you choose - enjoy!!!! Do a search on this board for pics of the ships or go to cruisestateroom.com

The Spirit also has plenty of outdoor tables aft of the Raffles Cafe. There's also a bar back there too.

Many have expressed the advantages of getting an aft facing cabin. On the Spirit there's only one level of aft facing cabins, but five levels of public access to the aft end of the ship. Promenade Deck, Kids Pool Area, Amphitheatre Area, Raffles Lounge Area, and believe it or not, a Sports Deck area.

It's the most uncrowded location on the Spirit, but the best area to watch the sea go by.

You are aware that the Carnival Legend sails out of NYC in May right?

I know you said you wanted to try a different line, but after one trip to the buffet on NCL finding a table will no longer be an issue. We are primarily Carnival cruisers and if it's the high level of activities and the food on Carnival that attracts you then NCL may not be your best bet. We sailed on the NCL Dawn this past June and lets just say it wasn't our favorite cruise so far. We sailed on the Fantasy back in 1996 and absolutely loved it. The Legend has been described as a stretched version of the Fantasy class ships.

You are aware that the Carnival Legend sails out of NYC in May right?

I know you said you wanted to try a different line, but after one trip to the buffet on NCL finding a table will no longer be an issue. We are primarily Carnival cruisers and if it's the high level of activities and the food on Carnival that attracts you then NCL may not be your best bet. We sailed on the NCL Dawn this past June and lets just say it wasn't our favorite cruise so far. We sailed on the Fantasy back in 1996 and absolutely loved it. The Legend has been described as a stretched version of the Fantasy class ships.

Yes - actually the Legend is on our "list" of ships. I am just trying to get information about NCL so that my husband and I can compare. As for the food itself, well, it isn't necessarily the Carnival food, but the option to sit outside and eat. I guess we could have done that on RCI, but it wasn't as convenient as it was on Carnival.

We did love the Fantasy and the Paradise (of course the Paradise was no-smoking at the time), we liked RCI, but Carnival so far is our favorite.

However, the itinerary for NCL is a bit more exciting to us than the Legend, but we shall see. Got to ask the parents first if they'll be willing to have grandkids as house guests first (duh - of course they'll say yes), then Carnival and NCL need to release the next round of sailing dates (after the first of the year???), then we can price and book.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions. I do welcome opinions, good and bad (or maybe I should say positive and negative). I also understand that opinions are personal and not generic.

Keep 'em coming!

We are currently looking at the Dawn and Spirit for May of 2007 out of NYC.

Does Norwegian (specifically either of the above ships) have a place to sit outside of the buffet area and eat?

I have been on the Star, which is the sister ship of the Dawn. We will be on the Dawn next June. On the Star, the buffet is just behind the pool area and there are lots of tables around the outer railing of the pool area at which you can sit. Behind the Buffet is the spa entrance and the kids pool. Use the forward two lines of the buffet and it is only a short walk out the door to the pool area tables. We sat out there on our cruise to Hawaii on the Star in 2002, but not last year to Alaska on the Star.

I have not been on the Spirit, but I would think she would have something similar. I know the Pride of Aloha does have a rear seating area and outside buffet lines, but I'm not sure which other ships do.

The other question is, how often during a 7-day (or the 10 or 11-day) cruise is there adult entertainment? (i.e., Midnight Comedians.)

On our 7 day cruise to both Hawaii and Alaska, there was usually "adult" entertainment on a couple of nights in the Spinaker Main Lounge and usually late (after 10:30). The main shows in the Stardust theater were all suitable for the entire family. The adult shows were not so much comedians, but game shows using fellow passengers. The Not So Newlywed Game is always a riot and risque and the Liar's Club game can be as well. To be honest, with the exception of the Newlywed game, the entertainment on the NCL ships I have been on, has not been that objectionable and I usually am very easy to offend.

We're curious about the freestyle dining (I've read you either love it or hate it).

I assume Norwegian has some sort of newsletter daily? What is it called? I will do a webshots search for them.

Has you have already been told, NCL's nightly newsletter is called the "Freestyle Daily" and is very good at giving you information you need. It arrives when your cabin steward turns down your bed at night.

Freestyle Dining is why I go exclusively NCL. I like to be able to eat when I want, where I want and be able to sit with who I want. I also like the idea of not having to dress up for dinner! I never take a suit or even a tie on my NCL cruises. I'm on vacation, why do I want to dress up like I am going to work!!! I also love the Freestyle Disembarkation. Being able to stay in your cabin until your luggage color is called is a lot better than being HERDED into public rooms with the other passengers.

I can go into further specific details about Freestyle Dining if you would like. Just ask!

Having been on both the Star and Dawn, you should have no problem finding a place to eat your buffet meals outside. Of course there will be some competition for tables at peak times, but we often ate above the pool area at a table near the bar, or even on the deck if we were "lounging". The outside BBQ is very popular at lunchtime, but that also increases demand for tables. We were recently on the Jewel, and the Great Outdoor, aft on Deck 13, is a great spot for outside dining, in addition to the other areas available on the Star and Dawn.

The Dawn has places with tables and chairs on the pool deck, but not at the stern as some other ships do. Actually you can take your trays anywhere. There are also some tables outside the Blue Lagoon if you eat there. When we were on board, there were several buffet lines - an Indian/Vegetarian, regular, Deli (soups and sandwiches). There is also a kid sized line with small tables and chairs and kid's food like chicken fingers, hot dogs and spaghetti.

I know that on all the trips we have sailed there has been at least one late night comedic show.

Thank you all very much for your responses. I know that the whole eating outside may sound silly to some, but as silly as it is, we didn't realize we enjoyed it till they didn't have it on RCI. Oh well.

I have a feeling we are going to end up on the Spirit, but untill they release the dates, we won't know for certain.

Am I correct in that the Spirit only has one pool? I think that would be my only concern, but I'd probably get over it pretty quickly once I realized I was on my first vacation without my children (this will be for our 20th Anniversary).

I've searched webshots for the Freestyle Daily and have read a bunch of them. It seems to me that to a certain extent, NCL is a bit more laid back than the other lines -- am I reading everything right?

You guys have all been very nice and informative. Thank you again.

The Spirit has more than one swimming pool.

There's the main pool amidship on Deck 12, there's a kiddie pool on the aft end of the ship on Deck 10, and there's two aqua swim pools in the Spa complex on Deck 12 too.

How many more swimming pools does a medium size ship need?

Don't forget the wading pool:cool: . I enjoyed the pool areas on the Norwegian Spirit more than any recent cruise. I thought they were lovely and, especially in the case of Buccaneers Wet & Wild, a lot of fun.

cruzin2, I know what you mean about eating outside! I love a leisurely lunch overlooking the wake & the beautiful ocean. On our cruise on the Spirit, we also had lovely Alaskan scenery slipping by. The aft area on the Spirit is terraced down to the big, elaborate kiddie pool and has the aforementioned bar and barbeque areas, as well as ping pong tables on the starboard side of the middle terrace. I found it to be a great place to sit and relax, visit with other passengers, & enjoy the scenery. Raffles buffet is just forward of this area on the 2nd terrace down.

The "PG-13" entertainment isn't usually as late as midnight, but they usually have a comedian show (or two, depending) in one of the lounges, as well as the "Newlywed/Not so Newlywed" game, "The Liar's Club" (funny show involving a panel of joke crackers, some guest entertainers, some ship staff), & "Joker's Wild" (tell your favorite joke). Other late night revelry is usually held in a dance spot & revolves around a theme: Disco, New Year's eve, sock hop, Klondike party (I'm guessing this will be a Caribbean party on your sailing ;) ), crew show, etc. On the Sun, Caribbean, they also had a male stripping thing that started out comedic:D , but evolved to more "serious" :rolleyes: .

Good luck with your decision. Sounds like you can't lose!

Hello. I have a general question about sea sickness pills. Right now, debating between Bonnine and Dramamine. Would like to find out which one is milder, won't make me as drowsy, and has less side effects in general. Thanks for your input.

As a seasickness expert i can tell you that the pill you want is meclizine. Bonine and Dramamine non-drowsy are both meclizine (read the active ingredients on the label and you will see that this is true. Regular dramamine is the same as Benedril, an antihistamine which is guaranteed to put me to sleep and which does not work as well as meclizine.

The least expensive way to go is with a drugstore's house brand of meclizine; if you can't find that, Bonine or draminimine less drowsy will work fine. If you know you are prone to motion sickness take one pill before the ship is scheduled to leave port and another each day about the same time. It works like a charm for me and I get seasick on the Staten Island Ferry.

Barbara

I purchased a bottle of Meclizine from amazon.com, 100 for $6. You can get it for free on board, but I usually start it before I leave, and I like the convenience of having the jar on hand. I too have motion sickness problems, and the combination of Meclizine and Sea Bands has worked like a charm for me with no noticable side effects.:)

Mary

Hi, does NCL serve hot chocolate? My daughter normally drinks hot chocolate in the mornings. We are sailing on the Spirit over Christmas, I can bring some packages if NCL does not provide. Thanks

Cindy

I thought I saw hot chocolate packages next to the coffee machine in the Garden Cafe, next to the tea bags.

Jackie:cool:

Archived