anyone else a tequila connoisseur

rp23g7

Anybody....Anyone...? So after a few cruises instead of doing the tourist thing we have been branching out on our own, and have found some really neat places that a lot of tourists never go.

A few yrs ago we were in Puerto Vallarta, and our cab driver told us about a private tequila tasting place outside of El Tuito. Neat place, awesome tequila, I had some called Raicilla Matona made by Republic. SMOOOOOOOOOTH, great tequila I didn't buy any then.

Was told that they don't export it, by several people, Gringos want Jose Cuervo, and I have never seen it before, and if you google it, there is really no info on buying it in the states

Last year we went back to Puerto Vallarta and went there again, bought a bottle, but had to leave it on the ship due to a medical issue we had .

We are going to be in Cozumel and Costa Maya in a few weeks, wondering if anyone has seen this tequila there.

DSCN0806.jpg

Edited by rp23g7

I can't say as I have. There used to be a bar in downtown San Miguel on Cozumel that had maybe a hundred or more different tequilas, but it is no more. The larger liquor stores, Cosi, and La Eupora, may carry it. as might the two mercados Mega Store and Chedraui.

I would doubt it is in any duty free port shop.

There's a "Tequila Factory" outside the port complex in Costa Maya and a couple of places inside the port. In Mahahual where the malecon is you'll find the local Mercado and a couple of smaller convenience stores. But they don't carry a lot. If he is open, Fernando at 100% Agave, next to Ibiza Sunset along th emalecon, may have some of his "special sauce". Tropicante's Buster's and NoHoch Kay have 'local hooch' for sale in bottles.

I've not seen that one, but it may be local to the West Coast. It has been our experience that the tequila for sale in port is very regional.

In Cozumel, at the Royal pier, outside the port and duty free area there was a very nice tequillaria across the street near the Diamonds International shop. Still touristy and overpriced, but they sold samples and some pretty solid margaritas if you want to try something beyond the typical duty free stuff. I believe they had wifi as well, so a pleasant stop on the way to or from somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

On our upcoming cruise we are doing a tour through Playa Mia that includes a stop for a tequila factory and chocolate. Then to Playa Mia for a Mexican cooking class, which we have done before. great time.

In Cabo a few years ago we did a tequila tasting class at a restaurant called Panchos, was so much fun.